Sea-to-sky: Resisting hibernation

9 hours ago, Everstorm said:

don't think I have unreasonable expectations for a non-scratchy jumper in a color that doesn't suck.

Same. I was initially after a zip through hoody in a colour that doesnt make me look like a zombie. I down graded that to any jumper that is not a sucky colour and the only decent one i found was £120 😱 which i am not paying for something i am going to scruff around in. 
everything is either frilly a bad colour or a weird cut at the moment (everything has gone bat wing cut here). It is driving me nuts. 

• Like 3

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

It's too hard going through a shop and finding something in a nice colour only to find it's an absurd shape (cut-outs, ruffles, cold shoulders) a stupid material, or not available in my size, or stupidly expensive as if it's gloating: "look, I'm the only non-stupid item of clothing in the whole store. No one will be as good to you as I am. You're a loser and you'll never find another shirt."

Basically summarises my entire shopping experiance yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

But is it just me, or is there more men's stuff in classic colours (navy, maroon, dark green, mustard, charcoal) and more women's stuff in black plus the season's "fashion colours"?

Pretty much as far as i can see

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

Do you have cognates for the American "Polar Plunge" ritual? It depends on snow cover for the beaches when you're bathing, so maybe not by you?

we do alot of cold water swimming here in the winter and Christmas swims (en mass) have been popular here for a very long time. Im familiar with ice swimming (it is too warm here for that kind of thing, but i see pictures of people cutting swimming holes in frozen lakes and that is probubly not for me😅)

I cannot express how much I wish to underwrite this goal. If given permission, I'm going to blow up this thread with sexy water bottles. 

Im open to any suggestions at this point 

I'm in awe of how targeted your series of challenges have been. It seems from the outside like you've narrowed down some habits that this format helps you husband along, and it's a lot of fun to watch you grow in them

Seems to be working well. Once i really get into the habit of things they tend to stick well with minimal nudging. As long as i have some awareness of them they just tick along. It’s getting into the habits that can be a slog sometimes. 
Habit tracker in my bujo is helping a lot. Makes me more aware of the ones I'm forgetting to do. I have a small mental list of things i know I'm sub parring at the moment (mando, sticking to my cals etc) but have to juggle energy (this week is not super) so the internal energy equation calculation continues. So boring, but important and unavoidable. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Laghail said:

I've only had one date with Pittsburgh but I'm already at jealous schoolboy crush level infatuation with your city

It is a lovely place to live. I’m happy you enjoyed your visit. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

But is it just me, or is there more men's stuff in classic colours (navy, maroon, dark green, mustard, charcoal) and more women's stuff in black plus the season's "fashion colours"?

Honestly it’s why I shop the men’s section. Their style choices are more consistent and the fit is usually better. Women’s clothing is such a ripoff at times. 

• Like 4

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

2 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

Honestly it’s why I shop the men’s section. Their style choices are more consistent and the fit is usually better. Women’s clothing is such a ripoff at times. 

Women get more choice, though.

Most clothes stores are 80% women, 15% children, and then one rack men. 🤣

• Like 2

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

1 minute ago, TimovieMan said:

That is true.  I just usually don’t like the choices or the fit/cut of most women’s clothes. So probably more of a personal preference on my end. 

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

2 hours ago, Sepherina said:

I have been tempted to do that lately, especially for running shoes.  Why it's impossible to find women's running shoes that aren't rainbow-colored I will never know.

4 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

a weird cut at the moment (everything has gone bat wing cut here).

Ugh.  Here, everything is croptop.   Like that's a lovely jumper, but where is the rest of it?

• Like 3

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Trust me, you are not missing anything right now. The mens stuff is better (and isnt going all frilly/cold shoulder/puffy sleeves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Here, everything is croptop.   Like that's a lovely jumper, but where is the rest of it?

Yes, that seems to be the other options availiable. or cold shoulder (or the dreaded cropped batwing combo). None of which i am up for 😆

i just want a warm jumper damn’it. Is that so much to ask

• Like 2

Woke up far too early feeling like crud. It is blustery here so i am restless to boot. Ended up going down to my local cafe out of a serious case of needing to do something. I don't usually get the whole, restless cant sit still thing when its windy (that is usually my mother) but just cannot sit still today. 

bumped into a friend from my swimming group and we went for a nice walk (we where both going he same way so it was serendipitous like that). One of the little coves is full of foam and it was blowing everywhere in showers like snow. (Will extract photos off my phone later to show you guys). Which was lovely. 

have screwed my cals for today, but i am just having a bad day for that. Not all days can be good days. I will aim do better tomorrow. 
i forgot an important rule. Be conscious of that your choosing when your really hungry (studies show you tend to over order or pick higher fat/sugar foods and from personal experience i know i am definitely prone to this) (also goes for me when im tired too).
I also need to remember i can ask for more time when approached by other enthusiastic staff wanting to take my order and not just pick the first thing i see on the menu. (This is a confidence thing i need to work on)
ho hum. 

i am pretty low on energy right now (it has been one of those weeks that tried to jam 2 other weeks into it) so i am way behind on reading everyones challenges. Just need to prioritise resting right now. So thats why I've been a but quiet.  Hope everyone challenges are going well though 😄

found a nice quote for the man eating plants bujo page that seemed appropriate. 

IMG_3197.thumb.jpeg.a8e8ddd0d42bfcc0ac6a47096d6fe2b6.jpeg

wondering if maybe the quotes would look nice in coloured ink. Might use my brushpen markers next time, though theyre not my favourite for calligraphy

Yes, we have the return of the tracker thingies. Becuase ive decided they do help me remember to do crud i am forgetting

ankle rehab

room clear

walk

swim

knitting

art

mando

1 Book/week 

for anyone wondering how the knitting is going. Well…

IMG_3199.thumb.jpeg.eb41ebbf1535bc4cf14284839a95fbe8.jpeg

in all fairness, i thought i was further on 😆

this might take a while

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Men's stuff fits you better? That's definitely not the case for me. It's all too long. And I suppose some of the tops would be fine if I want something long and boxy. But pants? No way. Even women's trousers usually have too large a waist and too small hips for me.

46 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

for anyone wondering how the knitting is going. Well…

It's a start :)

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Men's stuff fits you better? That's definitely not the case for me. It's all too long. And I suppose some of the tops would be fine if I want something long and boxy. But pants? No way. Even women's trousers usually have too large a waist and too small hips for me.

It's a start :)

It’s odd but yeah the pants fit better even with an hourglass figure (my hip is 38 inch and waist is 30). I usually go with a relaxed or standard fit and a belt (belt is a must though). I have had no luck with women’s pants and I hate high waisted or skinny  stuff. Again personal preference. I also have long arms and a long torso so it may be working in my benefit.  I have heard that some Asian brands run smaller and shorter for those that maybe a bit more petite. 

• Like 2

2024 Word

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

11 minutes ago, Sepherina said:

It’s odd but yeah the pants fit better even with an hourglass figure (my hip is 38 inch and waist is 30). I usually go with a relaxed or standard fit and a belt (belt is a must though). I have had no luck with women’s pants and I hate high waisted or skinny  stuff. Again personal preference. I also have long arms and a long torso so it may be working in my benefit.  I have heard that some Asian brands run smaller and shorter for those that maybe a bit more petite. 

Ah. I'm something like 29/41. High waisted is a necessity for me because my hips are not just wide, but high. They just fill all the space, basically. It would undoubtedly be easier to fit trousers if I could lose some weight, but I cannot seem to manage it.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Today was quiet. Everyone was out and i was restless, so i went for a poddle round town. Found a nice book on water colour technique so am going to have a read up on washes and blending and stuff. Its a medium thats never really clicked with me before, but for portability my list is this, gauche, or pen and ink. And i have water colours already so it kind of made sense to have another crack at it in a more organised manner. 

Scored a few more books for the xmas present pile. Also one of juli quinns books (which i am part way into right now as i started it on the bus) and some nice vintage brooches i just couldnt resist. one of them is deco style and i think my sister will adore it. 

IMG_3206.thumb.jpeg.91eace8dabc09045f0dd41280c73e6f9.jpeg

Feeling pretty under the weather today, so came back pretty early. Just taking it easy now. 

Just finished A touch of shadows by jessica thorne. Slow start but really surprised me. Got it free and went in cold so had no idea what to expect but loved it (and stayed up far too late reading the end last night). am going to wade into book 2 when i am less tired. Has a multiple POV and several plots going on at once. Nice political dynamics and interesting magic system. Worth giving a look. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1