Forums are back in action! ×

I'm overtraining, please help me

scarletleavy

As the title says, I'm overtraining and I need some help figuring out what to do. It really hit me this morning that my current training schedule is unsustainable and not allowing me to see the gains I'd like. It wasn't on purpose, I'm not on some kind of crazy crash diet or build a million pounds of muscle in six weeks plan, it just kind of happened. I started doing Starting Strength a few weeks ago after switching from NROLFW and I usually lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I also practice yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays and rock climb on Saturdays. I've been doing the climbing and yoga longer than the SS program. Now I'm really trying to make some technical improvements in my climbing and I've been climbing more like 2-3 times a week rather than just once and it's just not working with the strength training.

I know I'm doing too much right now, but I just don't know where to go from here. I want to do something in the gym. I want to keep practicing yoga and rock climbing. I just don't know how to make it all fit without killing my body.

Thoughts? Advice?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

sounds like it's time to simplify!

maybe try to only do the main lifts at the gym (squat, deads, press, pull-ups?) because i assume rock climbing takes care of many stability/core/assistance muscle work. it might help to make a list of all the things you like to do, and whittle down to the basics from there. there is probably overlap of work that you're doing, so cutting it to the bare minimum will help.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

What's your reason for strength training? You are probably getting a lot of similar benefits from the rock climbing (and possibly yoga depending on what style of yoga you do). Rock climbing is essentially bodyweight training. What I would consider is setting one day a week aside for in the gym weight training, on big compound lifts to build power. OR set aside the strength training completely while you're working on technical improvements in your rock climbing and come back to it when you've reached some of your goals there.

I end up getting into a similar problem with my aerial training and I've realized that training hard in the weight room was actually pulling me back from my goals because I couldn't put my energy where it was needed and it seemed like I was wearing myself down.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Yeah I can see rock climbing getting in the way of strength training. One is endurance based, one strength based. Not saying you can't be decent at both, but doing both at once will definitely slow progress in them individually.

Is it overtraining? Unless you feel constant mental fatigue, soreness, and poor motivation, you aren't overtrained. Doing that much work, just make sure you eat enough and it *should* be sustainable. Otherwise, cut down on one or the other, whichever one you want to see progress in more.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

There is a difference between over training and no life outside of training.

I go to the gym 8-10 times a week, rock climb weekly (outdoor trips on the weekend), train 2 other people 3 - 4 times a weeks, and also do yoga 2x a week. It is not over training because I'm eating enough and I'm not hurting myself anywhere. I have very little social life due to this kind of schedule but I wouldn't consider it over training.

If you feel like your plate is too full, focus on 2-3 weaknesses or goals that you need to improve, spend the bulk of your time on those for the next 6 - 8 weeks. It sucks not being able to improve in every thing all at once, I know. I've been working on improving my Olympic lifts and my cardio sprints have suffered since they were replaced. I focused on the power-lifter's big 3 in the winter and doped a whole point on my climbing because of weight. Its a struggle, but its ok to train like a mad man (woman)

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

I'd make your climbing sessions more technical and less endurance-based. That probably will mean taking more rest, so to get the same volume you'll have to be in the gym longer. Or you can cut out once of the lifting days. What are your goals?

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I guess it's also a distinct possibility I'm not eating enough to fuel my workouts, that could probably account for the lack of energy/soreness/etc. I've always thought I ate enough, but I guess with the amount of things I'm doing I might not be.

It's probably a silly reason, but my reasons for doing all of these things are because I love them. Haha, but primarily my main goals are to improve my climbing skills, build muscle and gain flexibility. I'm debating doing more bodyweight type exercises and limiting heavy lifting to once or twice a week.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Coming from someone who lifts and climbs... basic body weight is a great carry over, and only some lifts have a good carry over.

Squats, Snatches, Clean&Jerks, and Over Head Press have good carry over to climbing, but I've found that Bench, and Dead-lifts aren't going to improve your climbing much if at all. (isolation lifts like curls, calf raise, shurgs, and tricep extensions are worthless)

For your flexibility doing yoga 2 -3 times a week is plenty, you can even do it right after you lift as a good cool down.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

I agree with simplifying it a bit in the strength training. Maybe just work on the basics and keep your time down.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

had a similar issue myself, and i found switching SS over from 3 days to 2 days has helped a lot. im adding weight to the bar a lot slower (once a week rather than every session) but still seeing progressions, and i've been on the program since january. i still do yoga twice a week, capoeira 3 times and train parkour almost every day. plus a little climbing every now and then. id say pick what you really want to focus on (sport or lifting) and cut the other one back a little.

personally i find yoga after lifting frustrating; i cant hold the positions as well i normally can. but doing yoga at lunch and then climbing/parkour/capoeira in the evening is fine. your mileage may vary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Your workout is sustainable under the right conditions. Refueling and resting after a workout is very important. How many hours do you have between workouts? How many hours of sleep? What do you eat and drink after a workout (rock climbing, gym, or yoga)?

Based on the amount of time between workouts, you may just need more protein in your diet or more REM sleep.

Cutting the strength training down to the basics is good suggestion, too, but you should be able to expand your strength training again with time.

I know I don't always have the right answers, but I can usually track down the right questions. This is certainly the right place to ask them.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Thank you for this - I'm dealing with a little of this right now myself, in part, because I just love the things I'm doing, and in part because I love my workout partners.

My current schedule looks like this:

Mon: Pilates/ Buddy A, cardio & weights (weight routines rotate upper/ lower)/ Buddy B

Tues: yoga/ Buddy A

Weds: cardio & weights/ Buddy B (switchoff)

Thurs: Yoga/ Buddy A

Fri: rest!

Sat: cardio & weights/ Buddy B (rework Monday's group)

Sun: usually any of the following: gardening, climbing, playground, hoopdance, yoga practice

Last night, my manflesh was talking about a krav maga/ bjj class on Tuesday night and BJJ on Thursday -- both things I've been really interested in learning more about for a long time. But I can't help but think that's Too! Many! Things! So I'm not quite sure if I should go for it or if it's too ridiculous.

(I am a corporate desk drone, if that matters, and WHOA NELLY, do I make sure I get my sleep)

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Lizifer:

1) manflesh is a terrible terrible word. Add ANY adjective before it to see what I mean. :P

2) It really depends on the intensity level of each exercise. Beginners yoga and/or your Sunday activities should be low intensity, and your cardio/weight sessions are probably only medium intensity. MMA classes are usually higher in intensity. Hmmm I would reduce the cardio sessions a bit if you wanna do twice weekly BJJ

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Lizifer:

1) manflesh is a terrible terrible word. Add ANY adjective before it to see what I mean. :P

2) It really depends on the intensity level of each exercise. Beginners yoga and/or your Sunday activities should be low intensity, and your cardio/weight sessions are probably only medium intensity. MMA classes are usually higher in intensity. Hmmm I would reduce the cardio sessions a bit if you wanna do twice weekly BJJ

*laugh* He doesn't seem to mind. I usually alternate "manflesh" with The XY. After 8 years... he kinda likes it now ;P

And: "purple manflesh." HA! It's funny, but not horrible. It's not like I'm describing him as "turgid" ;P

As for the intensity levels, I dunno - they FEEL pretty intense! I'm a pusher, as a rule, though Sundays are my mo' mellow days (unless I'm planting trees in my yard or it's 95 and I'm going climbing like a ninny) - I kick my own tush on my cardio and am increasing my weights or reps every session (which means I sometimes rep til fail). There are just too many things and too much FUN in it - and I don't want to throw over my workout buds who've been with me since the beginning to do krav w/ The XY.

I think what I'm looking for is "how do you decide what to blow off/ change it up/ dial it back without feeling like you're giving up?"

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

A women after my own heart :) I too suffer from MUST GO AT 150% ALWAYS.

Like I said, main option would be to scale back the cardio on your weight lifting days. Depending on what you do, (I'll use a treadmill as an example) just set it to an easy pace and then LEAVE THE DIAL ALONE. Resist the urge to crank it up to 11. :P

A women after my own heart :) I too suffer from MUST GO AT 150% ALWAYS.

Like I said, main option would be to scale back the cardio on your weight lifting days. Depending on what you do, (I'll use a treadmill as an example) just set it to an easy pace and then LEAVE THE DIAL ALONE. Resist the urge to crank it up to 11. :P

Geez! Take the fun out of cardio, why doncha! ;)

In seriousness though: thank you. I'm just having one of those Allie Brosh fits of "I want to do all the things!"

Archived