Forums are back in action! ×

"We are not gonna die. You know why? Because we are so... very... pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die." Malcom Reynolds

Firefly quotes are always the best way to start conversations. Until 6 months ago I worked as a probation officer(terrible job but great stories). Currently, I am a stay at home mum and loving it. I am grateful the Rebellion does not care where I came from because it involved lots of fails and wussing out on anything physically difficult. It has taken me a long time to find a reason to change, to discover that moment when it clicked.

Strangely, it started with my father 2 months ago. I was visiting my parents and my dad(who I respect more than just about anybody) kept prattling on about some Couch to 5k program he was running. I thought "if he can do it so can I". So I get home and start running the program on my elliptical(which until recently had primarily served as a jungle gym for my 2 year old).

Imagine my surprise when I stuck to it, don't skip any runs, and didn't wuss out. I realized when I had a written workout with objectives I was WAY better at sticking to it. I then decided I needed to build some lean muscle but I had no work out equipment and could not afford a gym membership. I was also hedging my bets see cause I didnt want to spend lots of money to end up once again lazy and procrastinating. I decided I better prove I had some stickwithitness first. I ran across Steve's Body weight exercise for Beginners and decided it was just right for me. I tried it out for the first time last Thursday. I got through 2.5 circuits before jacking up my knee a bit due to poor form. For the next 3 days my thighs hurt so bad I considered cutting them off and donating them to charity.

Back to my reason for change. It started with the birth of my daughter. I had a natural child birth and did a lot of research and prep work leading up to it. I learned relaxation techniques and ways to work through pain. Her birth was the most intense experience of my life. It was hard work, exhausting, painful, and weirdly exhilarating. For the first time in my life my body felt like a well oiled machine. I felt like my body was doing something it had been created to do. It was amazing. I have realized I always want my body to feel like that. No matter what comes up whether running from zombies, playing soccer with my daughter, escaping prison, or surviving in the subways of a dystopian future I want be there 100% and not fall over gasping for breath 30 seconds in.

SO my goals for the future are participate in the next 6 week challenge, do a REAL push(and someday a handstand pushup), increase my run speed in my C25k so by the end I actually run 3 miles(I am only doing about 2 right now), clean up my eating and start tracking my calories.

My interests are sci-fi, B flicks, 80 actions stars, super heros, comics, reading, travel, other cultures, and I love cooking.

See you guys around!

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DragonBorne Adventurer

STR 4.5 DEX 4 STA 4.5 CON 5.25 WIS 8 CHA 3

"Time for some thrilling heroics." Jayne Cobb

Current Challenge My Fitness Pal

[/TABLE]

Gotta love Firefly :) Sounds like you're off to a great start! You've got your motivation, and have proved that you do, in fact, have some stickwithitness! My first time through the BBWW, I managed 2.5 circuits before...falling down because of, you guessed it, bad form. My thighs were fine, but good lord, my quads were dead! I've tried C25k twice, but due to what I thought at the time were perfectly legitimate excuses, I never finished. Thanks for reminding me to stick with what I start :) Welcome, and best of luck to you!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Glad to meet you and welcome to the forum!

Easiest way to track your calories is with something that is always on you. If you don't have a smart phone or don't like carrying it around, then try a pocket-size note pad. You could make this one of your goals for the next 6 week challenge! Good luck!

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Archived