Forums are back in action! ×

Short time lurker, first time poster

Hello All!

I stumbled upon the Rebellion not that long ago, and because I usually have a horrible time putting myself out anywhere, I lurked in the shadows to really figure out what was going on here. I have proven to myself lately that I suck at creating good habits, and lately have been having a serious case of the "Good Enoughs". That's not good enough, and have decided that things get better today.

My Journey so far:

Things got underway a couple of years ago, when I discovered the joy of Lindy Hop and Swing dancing in general. Going from close to absolutely sedentary to dancing regularly got me to the proper side of 300lbs. Now I'm dancing 10 hours a week, and competing/performing with a wonderful group of people.

The group I'm competing with does lifts and throws as part of our performances, and so I found that not only did I need to be good with my feet, but I had to be strong. I got a gym membership through my work, had some personal training to get myself underway, and promptly didn't go for 6 months.

New Years resolutions this year, included an entire re-boot of my life, changed my diet, changed my living habits, changed my love life, and went back to the gym. I've lost 20lbs since Jan 1, putting me at 240lb now. But most of the habits haven't stuck. The only one that I've been consistent with has been getting to the gym 3 times a week, and I think that I'm un-doing some of the good work I've put in, I've certainly stalled out my re-comp. I want to get down to 225, and I think that it is perfectly possible, I just need to get back into gear.

I have Dragons to Slay, and it's time to get to work.

Welcome! I just discovered swing dancing through a couple friends of mine - so much fun! It's great that you have something you love doing, and a solid motivation to help keep you on track. Good job with what you've accomplished already! Now just keep at it and get those habits to stick :) Best of luck slaying your dragons!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Glad to meet you and welcome to the forum!

Dancing is a great way to shed weight, but it looks like you bit off too much with your New Year's resolutions. Small steps are needed to kick bad habits and create good ones. You are doing great, just need to re-focus! Good luck!

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Great to hear you found something you really like, that's a powerfull way to accomplish your goal! I also agree with JediNickD that it's hard to build habits; I'm having a hard time myself sticking to my new life pattern. But take small steps, hang on and you'll get there!

- You only live once... so kick ass while you can

Archived