Forums are back in action! ×

Another Dwarf Ranger

I've been an on and off lurker here, but I'm getting more interested in pursuing the challenges here. I jumped on the last one late, but better late than never, right? I figured I should file an intro before the next one.

I'm 31, married with a two young daughters. We live in Cecil County, MD which is between Baltimore and the Delaware border. I'm an Electrical Engineer who specializes in RF/Microwave Engineering and Antenna Design. I'm a big football fan and a casual rugby fan. I follow the NY Jets and Super Rugby.

I had played rugby at a Division 1 level since senior year of high school (West End in VA) through all of college (RPI in NY and George Mason in VA) and most of my time in Massachusetts (South Shore Anchors) until 2010 when I moved to MD. My favorite position is wing, because I can see the field, run in space, and make plays in the kicking game. Fullback and flyhalf are fun, too, but I am usually not the best choice for those spots due to my size. Scrumhalf is the position I started the game playing. I love running with the big guys and will jump in if needed, but as I get older, my body just can't take the pounding the position requires.

In Febuary, I started a workout routine to get me back into shape to play rugby by August. I've reached all my initial goals and proceeded to my level two goals which I am nearing. I do not have trouble getting to the gym or working out at home, though I loathe running for conditioning.

My biggest issue with fitness is food. I love chips, Dr Pepper, cheese, pepperoni, and a plethora of other unhealthy foods. I really don't like most fruits and vegetables, so I'm limited in what I can eat healthy and not get bored of it. I've attempted to expand my pallette, but so many fruits just have a disgusting texture or flavor. Vegetables are easier to handle as they usually don't have overpowering flavors or gross texture, but it is still a struggle.

With my 5'6 160 lb frame and large appetite, I feel I fit best as a Dwarf. My philosophical/religious view can be categorized as Agnostic Rationalist Jedi. I follow the tenets and philosophy of the Jedi, but have my reservations about believing in the Force, or anything supernatural for that matter. Instead, science and the methods of rationality form my beliefs and ideas. As a Jedi, and now Ranger, I have a lifetime goal of being a Master-of-all-Trades, not just a Jack. This requires that I push mind, body, and spirit harder to learn and develop in areas where I am not proficient. I use every opportunity to train and perfect techniques and skills. Nothing is off limits, nothing is left behind.

I am well balanced in speed, strength, and stamina. I always aim to balance these three attributes in my training as pushing one further than the others can result in injury. As for injury, I have always been tough enough to battle through most ailments and remain competitive. I'm smart and always looking for answers with a well developed memory, but I do lack in the intuition department. My Jedi training is pushing me to expand my intuition, but growth is slow. Lastly, charisma is certainly my weak point. I'm not great at interacting with people. I'm not very attractive. I lack confidence in public speaking. My Jedi and career training led me to a club called Toastmasters, which is helping me with my charisma.

Challenge thread:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?12585-Late-to-the-Party

I'm looking forward to setting some lofty goals for the next 6 week challenge and getting involved in the mini and guild challenges!

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Archived