Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! Another Newb here

Hi Everyone!

I'm a college student, trying to get in shape. I was born in S. Korea and was never in a great shape in my whole life. When I moved to the US, I packed on about 40lbs over the course of 5 years with all the food and less walking/moving. Then one day, I got sick of myself always lacking energy and being tired. I recently saw the first real result on weight loss(dropped a size) by eating as Paleo as I could in a dorm for a couple months. Then the finals and all the graduation party for my brother hit me and I sliped back down to my old eating habits.....

My biggest challenge is going to that free weight section by myself where big, buff guys live (I'm a relatively small girl). I don't feel like I belong there! Another challenge is that I'm moving out to a house this summer which means I'll have to learn how to feed myself. I don't classify myself as the worst cook since I know how to make simple dishes from scratch other than heating up can food and cooking pasta, but cooking and baking for me was always a leisurely activity not a thing I do to survive.

My current goal is to regularly exercise rigorously. I practice TaeKwonDo at school but the routines we do is not as intense as I want it to be (Many times I don't break a sweat after an hour). I want to start on C25K and weight lifting, but I'm not sure which one to tackle first. A bigger goal of mine is to be able to do a pull up and running a 5K race!

I'm hoping to acquire some tips on exercising and get to know people who are excited about getting in shape!

Hi, and let me be the first to welcome you to the rebel army.

Have faith in yourself when you move out you age in charge and it is your choice.

Firstly, while it might seem daunting, walk in that free weight section with your favourite times on and a smile on your face. They will respect you for it, you are meant to be there and before long you will not worry about it. We only care about where we are going.

The following are some websites I find useful.

www.resourcefulcook.com this is a site that will give you a menu for the week, a shopping list of exactly what you need to make it and a rough cost. I just replace the pasta etc with more veg, then you just worry about breakfast and lunch. It is a UK site so prices and product will vary.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and www.7weekstofitness.com for pull up programs and more

And of course the NF site has plenty on it

Good luck to you and you know where we are

GO ON PIGS!!

:pig:

STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 1 CHA - 3

My biggest challenge is going to that free weight section by myself where big, buff guys live (I'm a relatively small girl). I don't feel like I belong there!

Do not fear the free weights! The buff guys want you there to show off their buffness! ;-)

But seriously, if you are there using the free weights, then you belong there. If you need some exercise tips on what weights to use or exercises to do, then those buff guys would be a great resource for you. Just remember, those guys were not always buff and a couple might even had started off just as small as you.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Archived