Forums are back in action! ×

Indoor Rock Climbing tips?

Ghost

Ghost here,

Tomorrow I'm going to an indoor rock climbing center. Never done it before, except once when I was a 10 and had no strength.

I don't make it a habit of climbing things on a day to day basis, so I was wondering if there were any tips?

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm very tired.

Well, I've just been there twice and I do some boulder not wall climbing. But from my thin experience I'd say:

- warm up before climbing. I didn't really warmed up that the first time I went there and I was really sore all the week. My BF was the same and was even reluctant at one point to try climbing again.

- while climbing use your legs more than your arms. On easy roads (level 3-4) arms are only here to help you a little. I know I used my arms way too much the first time and thus failed all the roads.

- chose you shoes well, they must be really fit but they mustn't hurt.

- stretch!

[edit] I forgot, choose your clothes wisely. The wall are really roughs so strong pants may be a good idea. I usually wear a legging (just under the knee) and grated one of my leg quite badly after a missed jump. But the road was fun, so still worth it :P

And more than all.. have fun! My BF and I really love it! Trying to figure out the puzzle, try a way, fail, try another way and sometimes manage to finish a road, it's really satisfying!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

+1

The most important thing (besides always checking equipment and a good partner) is using your legs legs legs to climb. Climbing is not about pulling up. So you want a nice solid base to push off those toes. Try to avoid pulling with upper body strength.

As for clothes, I recommend close fitting (so they don't get hung up on the holds) and I prefer stretchy shorts.

Chalk helps if you can borrow some.

ALSO - important - ask for a brief tutorial on how they lay out the climbs. At a lot of climbing gyms there should be marks showing you both the difficulty of the climb and the path.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

1. Legs Legs Legs

2. Follow the route, going off route doesn't count

3. Prepare for the best/most painful forearm pump ever

4. Chalk

5. Make sure you have a good belayer, your life is in his hands

6. start at a 5.6 and work up (5.7, 5.8, 5.9 etc)

7. Being lightweight makes you a better climber than strength does.

8. When coaching a climb use terms like: Right foot to right knee, left foot to crotch, right hand green, etc. Don't use a lot of words just simple commands.

9. LOOK at the climb you are about to do, get the general direction of the climb, does it go left, does it go right. Lay on the ground and pretend to climb it.

10. Don't spill your chalk.

Warrior LVL 3

STR: 16.75 DEX: 4 STA: 4 CON: 2 WIS: 8 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17857-Trad-s-Don-t-drop-that-dun-dun-dun

Current Maxes (lbs):

Spoiler

Squat: 380

Front Squat: 300

Bench: 265

Overhead Press: 155

Deadlift: 455

Clean & Jerk: 225

Snatch: 155

To add to Trad climb's list: Keep your hips close to the wall. Don't sit back with your butt out while climbing. Hips close to the wall will allow you to put more vertical force on your toe holds.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Climbing is a blast, you should have fun.

Try to keep most of your weight on your skeleton, don't try to muscle up the wall. Don't over grip the holds, just enough to stay on the hold. You can climb for much longer with out your forearms getting pumped if you don't over grip. Also try to keep your feet quiet, take your time and place your big toe slightly above the hold and then smear down to the hold. Don't kick wildly into the wall. Ask the other climbers at the gym for some tips and beta on the routes, they are a friendly group of people.

Thanks a lot guys (and girls). I had a blast, my forearms were killing me, but then my hands ended up red raw.

I reached the top of a beginner wall, and then sampled everything. Turns out typing isn't much exercise for the hands.

My life was in capable hands, my grandfather, he didn't climb but took pleasure in jerking me to a stop.

That and my other buddy who left me on my tiptoes as my manhood slipped away.

But I had heaps of fun, and only minor pain.

Great thread, and really glad you had such good fun! I'm drying to give indoor climbing a try once I have more cash coming in... sounds like I should be building my hand and forearm endurance strength in the meantime?

Oh yeah definitely, I did some towel hangs, they really give the grip you need for making the hard bits.

But even still, those little rocks can easily give you a run (climb?) for your money.

Archived