Forums are back in action! ×

Fellow Rebel Kettlebellers?

Elastigirl

KI4 Kettlebells don't really have a good substitute for the Bench Press you can bench Press KB's but it is not really the same. I am not a big proponent of the Bench Press for practical application anyway in your job being able to push someone is more full body then just upper body recruitment with a stable surface along the spine. I would hope you didn't have to push someone if you were against a wall and unable to use your legs.

I understand that KB's don't have a good substitute for the bench press, unfortunately my PT instructor didn't seem to get this. Our assessment during the academy to track our fitness level was the Cooper Assessment which has a bench press application. My first press was the highest because till that point I had been doing a lot of benching to train for bench pressing. During the academy, our instructor seemed to think that CrossFit and KBs were the only way to get fit. (He was obsessed with them...) I'm not trying to say anything bad about CrossFit or KB's. I think they are great, just not for bench pressing or other more specific fitness marks.

As to the pushing someone against the wall, that was not the biggest concern where bench pressing would have a real world application. Bigger concern would be where you got knocked to the ground in a fight and had to push someone off of you. Thankfully that never happened while I was a cop.

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

Well I am not the highest level grappler here but if you are stabilizing your body and trying to just activate the pectorals, triceps, and front delts(a few other involved but you get my point) to generate force to push off the perp. you need a few lessons in grappling. You need to bridge and lead with your hips to get someone off the top position but there are more than a few moves to accomplish this but bench pressing someone off you is not going to be very effective.

I think your trainers just drank the Kool Aid K.B.s and CF are great but tell me good old fashioned Oly lifting wouldn't make a fit functional LEO.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

I love kettlebells. If I could have one piece of workout equipment, it would prolly be a kettlebell simple because of the versatility. Turkish get ups are awesome and still a challenge for me. I workout with 35lb KB's at the moment a couple times a week. Some of my favorite exercises to use them for are weighted pull-ups and dips :)

Wolf

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Love kettlebells, have a 20kg one that i use fairly regularly. Only thing i dislike is that you cant adjust the weight, which makes progression expensive. Hence, im building me a t-handle!

In terms of training, the swing is the best and first thing you have to get down. After that id recommend racked squats and the press. Thatll cover your push, pull, and legs. I mainly use mine for accessory leg work and conditioning, so i pretty much stick solely to swings though.

And that kb weighted pull up looks badass, will have to try this!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Love kettlebells, have a 20kg one that i use fairly regularly. Only thing i dislike is that you cant adjust the weight, which makes progression expensive. Hence, im building me a t-handle!

In terms of training, the swing is the best and first thing you have to get down. After that id recommend racked squats and the press. Thatll cover your push, pull, and legs. I mainly use mine for accessory leg work and conditioning, so i pretty much stick solely to swings though.

There are some I saw at Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods that are 20 pound and can take up to 4 plates. They say the max weight to use it is 50# total, but I'm sure you could do more. Nothing wrong with a T-handle though if properly made.

What are racked squats? I do goblet squats with mine.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I just wanna get my handyman on so im making my own lol :P a racked squat is basically where you put one kb up on your shoulder (in the rack position) and squat. Works similar to a front squat, with added core work to stabalize the weight. Really good for your obliques imo, but then again almost all of kb work is great for core strengthening.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Ok, I gotcha. I wasn't thinking or press or rack position, I was thinking of somehow using a weight rack or something. I blame it on being 4am here.

Be sure to post pictures and details of your t-handle when you get it done.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Archived