Forums are back in action! ×

Leveling up with Power Yoga

Guest ApptivGames

Guest ApptivGames

Hey, have any of you guys tried Power Yoga? What do you think about it?

I've been at it for a while and find it has helped me to level up in a ton of different areas of fitness. It has all the benefit of super intense yoga without a lot of the meditative/spiritual stuff. It has increased my endurance, strength, flexibility, balance, and mental fortitude to push beyond what I think I can do. I love it!

What I've got right now is the P90X (and P90X 2) Yoga routines, Brian Kest's 3 videos, Rodney Yee Total Body Power Yoga, and a few crazy challenging advanced routines from myyogaonline.com.

I'm always on the lookout for more, so if you have any you'd recommend, then share it here!

Guest ApptivGames
Are you talking about Pilates? Also, the meditative (not spiritual) part of yoga is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. A good way to relax after a hectic week. Not to mention doing "slow yoga" always makes me feel loose and warmed up since I lift right afterwards.

No, not Pilates. I just can't get into Pilates really... I love the slow motions and the breathing techniques too that come with yoga practice too. I get the same enormously relaxed and de-stressed feeling from the power yoga, but also feel like I get a pretty decent workout at the same time so it's a 2 for 1 for me. Typically I'm way too pooped after doing an hour session of power yoga to do any lifting. I use it on my recovery days.

I have P90X Yoga X and Rodney Yee's Total Body Power Yoga.

I love doing it, and after a while it is east to see the benefits transerring to other things.

It's awesome isn't it! The benefits transfer so easily and make you feel stronger and more grounded in every other exercise. Plus it's a great way to destress. You have to check out Brian Kest if you haven't yet. His stuff is from the 90's and he looks a bit goofy/creepy with his long hair... but his routines are awesome. One day my goal is to do all 3 of his sessions in one day.

You have to check out Brian Kest if you haven't yet. His stuff is from the 90's and he looks a bit goofy/creepy with his long hair... but his routines are awesome. One day my goal is to do all 3 of his sessions in one day.

Dear god, and live? Those are some pretty brutal sessions.

That sounds like a great goal, though. I may steal it. I took a class from him at Wanderlust last year - it was awesome and hilarious.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

I did power yoga in a class twice a week for a year before my running scedule reached a point that I had to choose. Great for strength gains in my arms and chest. Great HIIT workouts. I got frustrated because without the flexibility of the rest of the class there were a lot of movements the teacher used that I was not able to get into, which increased the difficulty, and not in a good way.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Archived