Forums are back in action! ×

Elliptical vs Road Running mileage

Erick the Red

Today I used an elliptical machine (for one of the first times ever) because I have a calf muscle that has been bothering me and I wanted to give it a chance to heal up a little.

I was on the machine for 30 minutes, working at a subjective effort level of about 10-minute miles. At the end the machine told me that I "ran" for 6.4 miles in that time. Does this track with what others have experienced?

If it makes a difference, the display also told me that I kept it around 80 watts (whatever that means?) during the workout, except for some sprints pushing it over 110.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I know next to nothing about ellipticals- the giant middle eastern anatomy teacher who did my physiology lessons when I did my original fitness course as a starry eyed 18 year old used to call them 'fakercise machines' so I never bothered using them or prescribing them to clients.

It should also be noted that that same anatomy teacher could run a <3hr marathon and was often seen doing high rep sets of single arm pullups in the gym. He was a beast. If he told me jumping in front of a train would help me build muscle, I probably would have done it =P

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

This link might help you understand it a little better http://www.livestrong.com/article/149249-elliptical-miles-vs-running/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Well, having had to get onto the machines while some parts of me heal, it seems inappropriate to approach it in terms of mileage. You don't ellipse-isize your way around wherever you're going, you run. Unless the machine can approximate the motion that you use to cover the distance - and allow you to exert the same effort - I see it as comparing apples to oranges. Yeah, they're both fruit, but what use is there in further comparison?

If it got your heart rate into the same place that running does and you kept that going for the same amount of time that you run, then it was equivalent for all intents and purposes. At least, in terms of physical conditioning.

That's just my take on it, though.

I understand the apples and oranges comparison. Like bike miles vs. running miles.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

According to my Aussie friend, and I've found this to be the case - if you run 0.0 mph on an elliptical it's the same as running downhill. It has to be set to 2.0 to simulate real terrain so if I'm seriously training to run outside I set it up to 2.0. This has nothing to do with your question hu. Well anyway...back to work...

Seven: Level 3 JEDI
STR: -1 DEX: 4 STA: 8 CON: 2 WIS: 6 CHA: 3
First Six Week Challenge Sept. 24 2012
Connecting the dots can only occur in retrospect, to get there: Intuition.

You would need to be a world class runner fo run 6.4 miles in 30 minutes. That's a 12.8 mph pace. Try getting on a treadmill set to 12.8 mph and if you last more than a minute you'rs a pretty good runner... :)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

My workplace has a fitness program where we're supposed to walk or do some other physical activity for eight weeks. There's a calculator that converts non-walking to equivalent miles walked (which is more or less based on how many calories it burns) so we can all do whatever and have a competition for the most miles 'walked'. Anyway, it says that 30 minutes of moderate effort on the elliptical is equivalent to walking 4.5 miles.

Ellipticals were developed for people with knee injuries. The smooth motion fires different muscles in a different sequence then running does. That being said road running on a static surface is different then running on a treadmill where the surface moves and propels you. I think while you are injured using it for cardio is fine but it is pretty much apples and oranges. The equivalent would be a bike that equated the miles produced in terms of running miles.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

Thanks for all the great input. Today I "ellipsized" for 90 minutes plus 5 minutes cool down and kept my heart rate around 140 bpm, which is about where I am supposed to be. Crappy way to replace a ten mile run, but at least the leg is healing, and hopefully there was extra blood flow to speed things up.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Yea after doing both, I can tell you it's not the same, "running" 10 miles on an eliptical is a lot easier than running 10 miles on a treadmill or road

however like you I did use it to come back from an injury and it seemed to keep my endurance levels up with putting less strain on my shins

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Don't dismiss the elliptical. Sure it's easier than running, but it has it's uses.

I've had a cheap (not so cheap for me) version, and I've (ab)used it with good results.

The elliptical will be easier on your legs than running, but you can work out your hands and whole core much harder by increasing the resistance and either pushing or pulling, running forwards or backwards...

I've even removed the handles so I could hold weights while running to work out whole arms, shoulders and upper torso, or connect same/opposing knee and elbow to work side/cross abs and back.

Sure there are more time efficient exercises, but this one worked for me.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Archived