Forums are back in action! ×

What Gets Measured, Gets Managed. What Gets Managed, Gets Improved.

“The tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. It isn’t a calamity to die with dreams unfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not disgrace to not reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for. Not failure, but low aim, is a sin.”

--Benjamin Mays

I've been posting on the boards for a week now, but since I intend to participate in the next six-week challenge, I guess I should introduce myself.

I don't have a great, life-changing story. I'm just a regular 37-year-old guy who has never been a competitive athlete but has never been terribly out of shape either. I try to watch what I eat but I could do better. I have a supportive wife and good active kids and a good job that causes me to travel just often enough to occasionally wreck my diet plans.

I am better at research and planning than I am at execution So that is the #1 reason to participate here: create specific, measurable, publicized goals and use the "game" format to motivate towards completion. I know a lot about fitness, exercise, and diet, but knowing without doing is worthless.

I am better at endurance than explosive strength. I set up a twelve-week training program earlier this year and completed my first 10K race. I have been training for my first marathon scheduled this December, running four days per week.

I will complete a 100-mile race before I turn 40 years old. This is my biggest "non-life-support" long-term goal right now. One of these ultramarathons. All my other fitness goals revolve around getting me to that spot.

I need to do more cross-training on my off days to prevent injury and to flatter my vanity -- I have been losing muscle in my upper body over the last few months, and I wasn't Hulk-sized to begin with. So sticking to a clear plan to "lift heavy things and put them down again" is a big focus too.

I hope to be able to support other people in this virtual community. I'm glad to be here.

Oh, nerd credentials.

1. My friends and family will be having a birthday party on September 22 for Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.

2. I can recite from memory the words on the One Ring in the Black Speech.

3. I rolled up my first D&D character sitting on the front porch of my friend's house in 1985 (it was a cleric). I have played pencil-and-paper RPGs off-and-on ever since.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Awesome goal! I too have aspirations of running a 100 mile race someday. Much further in the future though, I'm also training for my first marathon right now, but after that I want to work on getting faster at the marathon and branching out into triathlons.

Also, just to give myself some semblance of a V-shape, I do pullups, dips, pushups and other bodyweight exercises two or three times a week. It's a good full body workout that I can do from home and I don't have to pay to use a gym to lift weights!

Welcome and good luck from another distance-running Eric!!

Please... please have your family adopt me :cupcake:

Everyone is invited to the party. It's just a BYOC (Bring Your Own Cake) kind of thing.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Archived