Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

My 13 year old saw it show up in my Netflix feed, and despite my best efforts to casually try and warn him away from probably the most profanity-laced show I've ever seen, he would not be deterred. Now he constantly quotes Sarge and Caboose, while simultaneously insisting he doesn't pay close enough attention to actually notice anything wildly inappropriate. He's also working on his Vic voice, for when he answers the phone.

That's fantastic. I was his age when RvB came out and started watching it then. I turned out okay. I mean...I'm here, so let me stress the "okay" part. Let's not blow things out of proportion. I'm not running a multi-billion dollar company or anything.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

That's fantastic. I was his age when RvB came out and started watching it then. I turned out okay. I mean...I'm here, so let me stress the "okay" part. Let's not blow things out of proportion. I'm not running a multi-billion dollar company or anything.

I mean, when I was a kid (like, 6...) my favorite movie was Beverly Hills Cop.  I actually think my son NEEDS more profanity in his life.  (He still drops to a WHISPER and spells "h-e-l-l" when he's forced to say it.) 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I mean, when I was a kid (like, 6...) my favorite movie was Beverly Hills Cop. I actually think my son NEEDS more profanity in his life. (He still drops to a WHISPER and spells "h-e-l-l" when he's forced to say it.)

I agree… while I certainly do not advocate kids going around saying fuck every other word like Gordon Ramsey, I definitely think they should not be afraid of a word…

No need for Harry Potter-esque name substitutions (e.g. He-who-must-not-be-named, or f-u-c-k-o-f-f)

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

You know, just because it's appropriate.  This happened to me yesterday morning:

An ordinary Wednesday when we have our young friends Grace and Micah visit us in the stadium for the 5:30 group with their mom and grandmother (regulars) AND their dad (a newbie).  Before leaving Grace helped me lead the bounce and warm up for the 6:30 group.  Grace told the tribe, “Good Morning.” The tribe said “GOOD MORNING” back.  Then Grace said, “Are you good?”  There was this lovely, hilarious…almost slow-motion pause and a slightly pained look came across everyone’s faces.  As if I could see everyone’s brains exploding as the instinctual response to yell, “FUCK YEAH” collided mid-neuron with the socially-conditioned filter to NOT SWEAR around, or at, or toward children, especially 5 and 3 year old children who are super cute wearing tiger hats.  It was a moment I will remember forever, when the tribe realized that FUCK YEAH is a part of our culture, as strong as ever.  So strong that Grace and Micah themselves know what to say when someone from NP asks, “Are you good?”  That’s why, even with a giant pause, we still figured out that the right thing to say was, “FUCK YEAH,” even though we were swearing with children. We’re crossing our fingers that when Grace starts school in the fall, she doesn’t get suspended from school for swearing at her teacher when she gets asked if she’s good.

Yea.  It was lovingly awkward swearing at/to/towards a small human.

• Like 5

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I parted way with my middle school friend. He went to England, and I went to the US. We originally had the same pale custardy glow of Asians who never left air conditioned room. That was because Thailand was so hot we didn't dare leave during the day.

When we met again after 8 years, however, apparently he got bitten by a British vampire, and I was trapped in the tanning booth for six months.

• Like 3

So I've recently grown a beard and am quite happy with it. I have noticed increased self-confidence since I've been sporting it, as well as an instant sense of camaraderie with any other bearded man I encounter. Fellow bearded nerds, did you notice increased self-confidence after first growing out your beards?

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So I've recently grown a beard and am quite happy with it. I have noticed increased self-confidence since I've been sporting it, as well as an instant sense of camaraderie with any other bearded man I encounter. Fellow bearded nerds, did you notice increased self-confidence after first growing out your beards?

I am probably one of the only ones who did not get this great side effect. Mine is all sparse and scraggly. I dont have a full beard nor a thick one it made my face look round and fat and frankly it looked horrible... However once I shaved that off and kept just the "goatee" (it doesnt connect but whatever) i got that feeling.

Germany after Oktoberfest 2012 after I cut my beard off (before i cut this it got to be two fists long) also when I was trying to grow my hair out as well...

527488_10151307816990701_1534800831_n.jp

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Sadly, I would never have that chance, but I do feel that men [of European ancestry] with beards tend to be confident-- not sure what comes first between the beard or the confidence, though.

A friend of mine could grow a full, lush, beautiful black beard-- but with his Middle eastern-South Asian ancestry, he decides not too to reduce time at the airport... He remained at the designer's stubble, and pulls it off quite well. US can be sensitive about that sometimes.

I am probably one of the only ones who did not get this great side effect. Mine is all sparse and scraggly. I dont have a full beard nor a thick one it made my face look round and fat and frankly it looked horrible... However once I shaved that off and kept just the "goatee" (it doesnt connect but whatever) i got that feeling.

That's one healthy goatee.

Why thank you! I wish I had a picture of it full grown (almost 2 years of no trimming).

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

What he doesn't like being "randomly" picked out a line to have his bags rummaged through and felt up by security guards for being a little tan with a beard

I remember being picked out of a huge line in Orlando had my bags gone through, patted down and put through a body scanner, I have to say besides the inconvenience and being pissed off about the whole ordeal it did get me through the line faster 

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Sadly, I would never have that chance, but I do feel that men [of European ancestry] with beards tend to be confident-- not sure what comes first between the beard or the confidence, though.

A friend of mine could grow a full, lush, beautiful black beard-- but with his Middle eastern-South Asian ancestry, he decides not too to reduce time at the airport... He remained at the designer's stubble, and pulls it off quite well. US can be sensitive about that sometimes.

I have a friend who's an orthodox priest, he's from Canada but his parent's are from Syria. When he grows his full beard during lent he tries not to fly.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I have a friend who's an orthodox priest, he's from Canada but his parent's are from Syria. When he grows his full beard during lent he tries not to fly.

Current Challenge

I agree… while I certainly do not advocate kids going around saying fuck every other word like Gordon Ramsey, I definitely think they should not be afraid of a word…

No need for Harry Potter-esque name substitutions (e.g. He-who-must-not-be-named, or f-u-c-k-o-f-f)

Always amuses me to hear other countries opinions on swearing. The Aussies don't even realize they do it half the time. Swearing on the radio or tv is very common which shocked me when i first moved here. You can call someone a dickhead i just about any situation and no one bats an eyelid. The F word is just another adjective over here.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Phyto, that puts you in the enviable position of fake beards. You could go from a handlebar moustache one day to a full ZZ Top look the next without any of the waiting or maintenance issues in between.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Always amuses me to hear other countries opinions on swearing. The Aussies don't even realize they do it half the time. Swearing on the radio or tv is very common which shocked me when i first moved here. You can call someone a dickhead i just about any situation and no one bats an eyelid. The F word is just another adjective over here.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

It's a bastard of a place to live
  • Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

As a dark-haired guy with a full beard, I've only been on two flights since 2001 where I was not gifted with extra screenings. I though I got away without drawing suspicion when I was flying back from Vegas last summer, and then two TSA agents came to my gate and checked my carry-on and the guy's in front of me, too. Just flew to and from CO last month and didn't get extra screenings on either flight. That was a welcome surprise.

Having a full beard does do wonders for confidence, though, and the bearded-men-camaraderie is a nice perk. I had a pretty long beard for a while that I rather liked, but I keep it shorter now.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

As a dark-haired guy with a full beard, I've only been on two flights since 2001 where I was not gifted with extra screenings. I though I got away without drawing suspicion when I was flying back from Vegas last summer, and then two TSA agents came to my gate and checked my carry-on and the guy's in front of me, too. Just flew to and from CO last month and didn't get extra screenings on either flight. That was a welcome surprise.

Having a full beard does do wonders for confidence, though, and the bearded-men-camaraderie is a nice perk. I had a pretty long beard for a while that I rather liked, but I keep it shorter now.

*Claims to have beard.

*Profile pic has beard.

Ok, this checks out. I had the pleasure of flying in the summer of 2001 to Europe. I'll never forget throwing my pocket knife in the little basket by the metal detector, walking through, picking the knife back up and getting on the plane. *Sigh*

Now I get checked out by underpaid TSA Agents who don't know about Good Touch/Bad Touch.

Current Challenge

*Claims to have beard.

*Profile pic has beard.

Ok, this checks out. I had the pleasure of flying in the summer of 2001 to Europe. I'll never forget throwing my pocket knife in the little basket by the metal detector, walking through, picking the knife back up and getting on the plane. *Sigh*

Now I get checked out by underpaid TSA Agents who don't know about Good Touch/Bad Touch.

When I flew out to Vegas, there were three generations of a family in front of me including a grandfather in a wheelchair whom I can only assume hadn't flown in a while. He had a swiss army knife on him and was in the process of arguing with the TSA agent while his son tried to convince him that they could buy another swiss army knife when they got back. I felt bad for that grandpa. I'd hate to forget a knife in my bag and lose it forever. UPS could do a good business setting up in an airport by security and shipping your contraband to you wherever you were going or back to your house.

5'11'' Male

When I flew out to Vegas, there were three generations of a family in front of me including a grandfather in a wheelchair whom I can only assume hadn't flown in a while. He had a swiss army knife on him and was in the process of arguing with the TSA agent while his son tried to convince him that they could buy another swiss army knife when they got back. I felt bad for that grandpa. I'd hate to forget a knife in my bag and lose it forever. UPS could do a good business setting up in an airport by security and shipping your contraband to you wherever you were going or back to your house.

Most airports will send whatever it is back to you, there are also other options like checking it in.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/09/what-happens-to-your-prohibited-items.html

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Not being allowed knives. Number one reason I don't like flying. I feel naked without atleast one.

Not being allowed knives. Number one reason I don't like flying. I feel naked without atleast one.

they'll allow a mechanical pencil though… just as deadly when forcefully shoved into an artery… just saying.
  • Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft