Forums are back in action! ×

Old, arthritic lady looking to kick ass

Hi folks! I'm very excited to join this site. I've been lurking for a while, loving all the personal stories, and I'm hoping for support from fellow nerdfolk.

My fitness dream is, basically, to be the biggest, scariest mofo in the room at all times. I'm a hard-core feminist, indifferent to beauty standards and unhealthily attracted to raw power. I'm also about as scary as your average 49-year-old civil servant, married with kids, dogs, cats, a messy house and fifty extra pounds of fat.

I'm mostly still kind of working on pre-fitness goals -- losing enough weight that I can run again without hurting my arthritic knees, developing some basic core strength and balance so that I can do sports, and trying to get in the habit of writing down what I eat. But I'm keen on the hard-core strength training, and I've been working out with bodyweight and dumbbell exercises too. I started working out at the beginning of the summer with the goals of being able to do 100 push-ups at a stretch and 1 full pull-up by my birthday in March. I think I can do it!

I'd particularly love to hear from anyone who is any of the following:

- women working on gaining serious muscle

- anyone getting into exercise later in life

- feminists into fitness

Party on dudes!

Well there goes the neighborhood. Just joking, anyone who is intimidated by you probably deserves it.

(Now to go work on not being intimidated by a fit granny.)

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Yay, another 40+ yr old gal. As a 46 yr old I'm glad to see other women my age join the Rebellion ranks. I do bodyweight excericses, kettlebell and I swing a sledgehammer around for fun. Glad you're here.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome! I'm 43, also arthritic, just got into weightlifting earlier this year.

Good luck on the pull-ups. I'm working on those too, slowly but surely.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Hi Red Sonja! :) 37yo over here, not arthritic, but definitely looking into gaining serious muscle. I don't want to be a body-builder, but I've always loved that seriously toned look. Not to mention the strength that comes with it. At 5'2", I need to be able to *feel* strong, and not just talk like I am (don't do a lot of that, but on the occasion that it happens, I want to be able to back it up, y'know?). Definitely felt old joining these boards, but it's nice to see that I'm not the only person here over 35. :D Older Nerds FTW!

My intro is on my "kreleia's crusade" battle log, which is in my profile (I believe), if you want to see.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Great to see some other old ladies. Gotcha beat tho...I'm 55. Doing body weight training (love circuits) and intervals. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do a pullup. I've got some pretty small shoulders; not much there to hang muscle on. I always did a lot of walking, and I did some stuff with weight machines, but this is my first foray into much free-weight/body weight. I wouldn't call myself arthritic, but I've got a bum knee. The trickiest part of getting into the workouts at this age is realizing that I'm not 25 (or 35...or 45) anymore - so if I strain something, it's going to be slow to heal. Better off to be a little cautious the first time you take on a new move, then to knock yourself out of the running. I'll keep watching!

I'm also a civil servant, married to a retired Marine. Cats, but no dogs, no kids.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Eh, no need to worry your pretty little head about pumping iron :tyrannosaurus:

Seems to me, Leader Steve has distilled for us the crucial information needed to walk us through it, from pre-fitness beginner to seriously muscular, without injuring ourselves along the way.

Want to make sure you didn't miss this excellent article about Iron and Henry Rollins (near bottom of blog page 42)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/page/42/

My ultimate dream is less to look scary than to be the little mouse who sees the cat and rather than running, cracks its knuckles with anticipation... but I applaud the scary people too.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Total AWESOMENESS! I'm in my 40's and have traumatic arthritis in knee (and a bunch of hardware in a reconstructed ankle = bionic). This is GREAT! Welcome to the party.

For the knee, I've found that squats really help. A lot. Really. Keeping all that stuff strong helps offset the arthritis. I also started supplements and I got a cortisone shot. I'm not slowing down. LOL.

I do a lot of heavy lifting - mostly powerlifts and am in a cycle right now where that's all I'm doing. There are tons of women who lift here. And they lift tons!

Also, am hardcore feminist as well - shit I taught women's studies at one point.

Your pull up goal is totally doable. How are you doing it?

And btw, I use "dude" all the time. Including addressing my boss as dude (female boss). So, you had me at dude....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Archived