Forums are back in action! ×

Release your inner author here -come on, I know you have one :D

Fearkiller

Simply: I start a story, and the next one will carry it on as sees fit.

No writing skills necessary, just go with the flow.

Some ground rules, just to keep it interesting:

1) One user can’t post two entries of the story in a row.

2) Two users can’t “bounce†the story back and forth between themselves.

3) When you hit the post reply-button, you give all control of the plot to the next writer.

4) Deviations from reality -in general- will make it more amusing, but don’t be thoughtless.

Ultra-enhanced-android-genemanipulated-ninja-rodent-mecha-aliens with katanas* and such are best to be left to another story.

After all, at least some sense must remain in the plot.

5) Whenever possible use the font “Courier New†to distinct the story from general discussion.

6) Typos and such small issues can be edited, but don't alter what happened -the chain and plot shatters, which is annoing as hell.

*At times like this I wish I could draw better…

[Edit]

Oh, yes, rules 1) and 2) doesn't mean nobody has more than one chapter,

it's more to ensure all who want get to contribute.

I hope it didn't discourage anyone.

Thought that I should put that in the rules-post too[/Edit]

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Kate had fallen asleep early, because her duties involved helping the wounded and feeding the weak. Her cot was the only one in the room. Cozy one by the standards of the survivors –one of the few pleasures she got nowadays. Real feather pillows, think of that! She couldn’t remember when she had last even seen those, let alone sleep in such a high-class bed.

The room itself was small, but it was her own. Two-by-two metres, only bare plank walls and one dim light bulb in the ceiling, she had barely room for her workout. But she had her most precious things safe: one battered Kevlar reinforced body armor, a huge brick of a book about anything concerning combat medic studies and a digital diary with a pen.

She opened her eyes sharply, heart pounding –what had awaken her? The nightstand, the window, the carpet –they all looked the same... It was the door. One of the carrion here! Oh Kael, God of Mercy, don’t let me go like this. She had heard stories about the poison in those teeth, made you see another, horrible dimensions... Grown men with years on the battlefield never spoke of what they saw, if they lived to tell the tale. It looked like a human, (at least it had two legs and two arms, more could not be seen), but it shimmered faintly, like it didn’t really belong in this universe. It had no eyes in the way we have, but a mouth there was... She reached for her nightstand, expecting to find her Armament Lightweight Neurological Connection SMG where she had put it. Groping wildly she clanged sideways and her heart started a funky step-dance. Why wasn’t it there?

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

The Carrion hung nimbly from the roof, directly above it's target. It savored the bouquet of scents rising off the human female's skin in the chilly air; curiosity, confusion, fear, panic, rising steeply from one blatant emotion to another like the climax in a symphony. Two of the Carrion's three tongues ran over razor sharp teeth, while the third tasted the air, no nearby surroundings and movement escaping it's notice. The woman moved quickly, her head whipping this way and that to survey her surroundings, and the Carrion observed the human searching for something while undergoing a high level of stress.

The moment being just right, the Carrion dropped silently atop it's target.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Kate screamed. For a moment she acted on instinct, flailing about, trying to get the creature off of her. But then the moment passed, her brain kicked in and she remembered her training. Carrion are strong and swift and silent, but they are also fairly unarmored, especially around their face and neck. Jabbing the heel of her hand upward, Kate aimed for the beast's jaw (or where she thought it might be in the dark). She felt the thin, scaly hide and heard a yelp as she made contact. For a moment, the load lightened and she pushed hard as she rolled over, aiming to land on top of the creature on the hard floor.

She was successful. With the Carrion slightly stunned, Kate got up and sprinted to the door. She had only seconds before the creature would be up and just as fast as she was.

Halis: level 2 human assassinSTR 10|DEX 2.5|STA 3.5|CON 6.5|WIS 12|CHA 7.63

She scrabbled frantically at the door for an endless breathless moment, found the doorknob, through and closed it behind her - BANG! as the Carrion lunged - too late. She flew down the hallway, heart beating a pounding insane drumbeat in her ears.

"They're here!" she screamed as she ran. "Code Red!"

Aemon heard the scream from the small field kitchen and was already running when the sound of splintering wood echoed along the deserted corridors. His dull brown robe fluttering behind him he heared the shout "Code Red!"...

Code Red??? In the compound!!.. if they had got though the defences... who was on watch...

He didn't get to finish the thought as the sound of persuit approched, bare feet overlaid with the scratchy clawed gait of the thing following. He waited, bringing his mind into focus... time slowed... a hot mist spread from his hand and solidified in to the cool iron wood spear that was his prefered wapon. It filled his hand just as the terrified seargent fled past his doorway...

One old man with a spear against a full carrion... well he had good life and maybe he could occupy it long enough for the barracks to be mobilised.

With a quick prayer to Antar, god of battle, he swung full force into the approaching nightmare...

Oh, yes, rules 1) and 2) doesn't mean nobody has more than one chapter,

it's more to ensure all who want get to contribute.

I hope it didn't discourage anyone.

And really, talk about community potential!

Beautiful!

Sentry duty, for most soldiers, was boring. Not for Kin, he enjoyed it. Cool night breeze and a chance to get out of the barracks...

Too bad the stars weren't visible, he gladly reminisced all the stories jolly old Aemon had told while everyone sat around the campfire.

And after the younger kids fell asleep, the adults got onto the really interesting stuff. Kate and Kin had a deal: they pretented to sleep, but

kept each other awake by pinching. They had spent hours after the nightfall listening the raspy but

colourful voice of the robe-clad man telling tales of adventure, love, deception and courage.

How could one sleep after those?

Kin had sometimes fallen asleep into his morning porridge cup after nights like that -splop!

He wasn't disapointed. There were worse nicknames than "Cupcake" or "Cups", after all.

Take the tale of the Carrion, for example.

----------------------Few years back------

In the museum there is a corpse of a Carrion, said to have been killed by Aemon himself when he was younger.

He was bit during the battle, and if anybody asked about the poison, he didn’t say a word. But he was his warm self afterwards

and held no grudge at all, if somebody happened to wander to that particular topic.

The corpse was shown to everyone after they were old enough, to show the Carrion weren’t immortal.

Back in the camp that night Jack, his best friend back then, told:

“But, you know what? One story is that if you touch one of its teeth, you hear faint echos of the things the victims heard!

I’m going to try it, are you coming with me?” Kin had to, or else he would get the Scarycat-award

(the sound of meows where ever he went had been barely tolerable in the first time).

It was fairly easy to get to the museum through a small gap in the fence

(although it involved a fair bit of squirming and crawling in mud).

The Carrion was a scary sight in the night, as if it were still alive...

As they were about to touch the teeth...

ROOOAAARGHHHH!!!

Aemon had to really try to suppress the laughter in his hideout behind the corpse.

Of course he had been the one, who had told Jack the tale. They had swallowed it all,

line, hook and sinker!

Jack fainted instantly. Meow!

Kin recoiled at first but then hit the Carrion with his small fist –thump!

Too bad he scratched his hand to one of the teeth...

---------------------------------------------

Now, in this time, because of this small scar in his knuckle, he could see

one, two, three, four Carrions in the field.

In the compound a wartime siren started ringing

IIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiii

The Carrion sensed the retreating presence of it's target through the door's small, dirty window and felt the vibrations of the siren echoing through it's flesh. The Carrion wasted no time. Already feeling the compound come to life in the surrounding rooms as the various humans rushed to and fro arming themselves, the Carrion was already several steps into it's auxillary plan. The air grate on the ceiling had it's screws quickly removed, then set aside, and the Carrion's arms were already stretching, elongating to reach it's egress. Upon grasping the edges of the vent, the Carrion's fingers pressed firmly against it's inner siding and pulled it's body upwards, it's torso contracting and lengthening, it's exterior resembling more worm then humanoid as it wound it's way into the vent.

Before the next sirens cried, no trace of the Carrion could be found.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Further in the future, do you think this could be a book? Just thinking aloud, but a fiction-scifi-horror-romance-little-bit-of-everything book by the NF boards would be so effin' awesome! But let's not think it too hard, go with the flow!

Will continue this this week, just have to come up with something elegant.

Kin took aim, tracking the Carrions carefully. As the weapon was linked directly into the nerves in his arm, it was enough merely deciding to shoot *DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA* Hot white bullets were slow enough to be visible with bare eyes. "Damn last century tech!" Kin thought. The bolts of magnetically accelerated ions hit the two leftmost Carrions. And absolutely nothing happened. The bolts went on like nothing happened, destroying the greenhouse *crash-tinkle-boom!*

"Oh, Kate won't like that a bit.. Her roses and all... "

And: "Who cares about roses, they noticed me!"

"Must wonder, though, who she nurtured them for?"

---------------------------------------------

Kate had found an old Colt .45 from a cabin. After activating the siren she advanced cautiously along the corridors, ready for anything.

Blood. And more. "Oh no, who is it?", she tought.

"No, Aemon! NO!"

crash-tinkle-boom!

"That was from the yard, Kin's on guard..."

She almost left, half of her heart going after Kin, half of it wanted to help Aemon.

"Help those who you can, not those you'd want to. Ignore any emotional attachments."

That was what she had been taught and that was what she did.

Some notes:

"With quotations and italic means they're thoughts"

"With quotations but without italic they're saying it aloud"

I admit it's possibly confusing, ideas appreciated.

And are onomatopoeic words as sound effects a good idea?

Will continue this this week, just have to come up with something elegant.

Oops. That might be considered rude. My point wasn't stop anyone else continuing before me.

Archived