Forums are back in action! ×

Book Club: Jan 7-Feb 18-American Gods-May Contain Spoilers!

CalvinHobbes

The winner of the poll is American Gods by Neil Gaiman! (And it's about time. Third time I've nominated it :) )

Please use this thread for discussions. If you are going to post a spoiler, please post it like this or something of the sort so everyone knows not to read ahead if they haven't finished it:

*SPOILER*

Happy reading nerds!

Good choice!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I read this recently and am currently bogged down in the last 3 WoT novels before I allow myself to buy A Memory of Light.

Enjoy guys, I absolutely loved it.

Mitch S - Level 4 Scientist Adventurer

Wielding The Slightly Pointed Lute of Power and Dented Roman Helmet
STR :11 DEX :5 STA :7 CON :8.5 WIS :8 CHA :7
My first challenge : An Adventurer Underwater

My second challenge : Electric Boogaloo

Challenge Number 3 : On the Run
“Pray for rain all you like, but dig a well as you do it.†- Steven King The Dark Tower

I'm a little more than half finished with it.  I'm enjoying it. 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I finished it a few days ago. Plot twist made me feel kinda dumb, like I should've known. >.<

Right! Thank god I'm not the only one who was like, "of course! Derrrr!" 

I read this a while back, should reread it. Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. Would love to see what people think about it.

I kind of feel like I need to reread it.  I enjoyed it.

Now I'm trying to think of something intelligent to say about it :P

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Spoilers within

Same on the plot twist. What's funny is I didn't realize that it was Loki and Odin against everyone else until later. I thought that Loki was going to betray the modern gods, in favor of the old ones. But once it was revealed that they were working for each other I thought, Yeah, that makes more sense. One of the people I pitied most was the fat kid, even though I hated him up until the cabin where they picked up Wednesday's body. That was when he really turned out to be just a kid instead of the obnoxious jerk he was for the rest of the book. 

Halis: level 2 human assassinSTR 10|DEX 2.5|STA 3.5|CON 6.5|WIS 12|CHA 7.63

Spoilers within

Same on the plot twist. What's funny is I didn't realize that it was Loki and Odin against everyone else until later. I thought that Loki was going to betray the modern gods, in favor of the old ones. But once it was revealed that they were working for each other I thought, Yeah, that makes more sense. One of the people I pitied most was the fat kid, even though I hated him up until the cabin where they picked up Wednesday's body. That was when he really turned out to be just a kid instead of the obnoxious jerk he was for the rest of the book. 

Agreed.  I didn't realize Loki was Mr. World until the very end...which made :facepalm:  I didn't suspect he'd betray the modern gods, but I had some trust issues with Wednesday until he was shot, then I was all, "NOOOOOOOOOOO" and yeah.  So, much derp. 

I also agree about the fat kid. 

I started to suspect something was up with Hinzelman at some point when Shadow was living in Lakeside. He had a conversation talking about the surrounding towns and it reminded me very much of an episode of Supernatural (anyone know what I'm talking about?).   So, I suspected he was a God and not a regular dude. 

It's been a couple of years since I read this, and I remember having issues with Hinzelman, and figured out what was happening there and with the car on the ice, but the Loki/Mr. World bit was a light bulb for me.  

Laura - Now I'm trying to figure out which episode of supernatural you're talking about...

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

It's waaay back... Season 1, episode 11- Scarecrow.  Scarecrow in an apple orchard of a very prosperous town stuck in the middle of nowhere/surrounded by desolate towns. Requires yearly (?) human sacrifice which usually comes in the form of a young couple.   Many similarities.  Creepy episode.

I LOLed when I figured out the Low-Key was Loki.  Go me.

Spoilers:

I kind of expected it had something to do with Hinzelmann....not that he was a god though. I figured either Hinzelmann or Mulligan had been kidnapping the girls.

I also knew Shadow had to have some kind of connection to Wednesday and I didn't get the Low-Key/Loki either...it was a big lightbulb above my head. 

Overall I'm not sure how I felt about it. Like, usually when I either really like or really dislike a book I can make fairly educated statements, but with this book I don't really have anything intelligent to say :) 

Archived