Forums are back in action! ×

What has it got in its pockets? (EDC Thread)

Shukar

So I had this thought today about what I carry in my pockets, and what other people carry in their pockets. Figured a thread for such a thing would be entirely appropriate for this forum.

So, what do you find yourself carrying around in your pockets/purse/satchel/manbag/clutch/hands on a regular basis that you couldn't live without, or that you think other nerds would just love to have?

I'll start. Every day I find myself carrying a flashlight, a pen, a sharpie, and a "tweaker" (for adjusting potentiometers and random other odds and ends). Currently all of those items are just whatever random version I borrowed from work or got free/cheap from somewhere, though I'm looking at replacing the flashlight with a better one and adding a knife to my kit. I've got my car/apartment keys on a carabiner on one side and my work keys/fob/flashdrive on a different carabiner on the other side. Plus my phone and my wallet (which I try to keep well pruned to minimize Costanza Wallet), and a lined spiral notepad for tracking time/mileage for work. Plus a 1L water bottle. That doesn't count the tools I carry for work.

Used to carry around 2 rocks and a random die from my collection as well but I've since found no real use for the die and the rocks where symbolic in the first place.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Well, if I hadn't given it to my manbeast for good luck, I would be carrying my 3-D printed companion cube. I swear that thing is lucky.

Otherwise, nothing too interesting... phone, sometimes wallet, I keep my keys on a carabeaner  on a belt loop so I don't have to worry about dropping them. Girl clothes just don't have good pockets.

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

Pockets:

Carbiner for my house keys, car key (loose from the house keys), my phone. 

MY manpurse (aka my portable office) 

Working Top to Bottom, Left To Right we have: 

1)1 liter water bottle
2) 24oz thermos (for mah coffee!)
3) Kindle 3G
4) iFixit toolkit. This is great because I tear down a lot of customers products and finding tools in my lab is a hassle. Easier to bring my own
5) Dell E6530 work computer with extended batteries. (Hooray 7 hours of battery life!)
6) Grad School text book
7) Grad school note book
8) Work/lab notebook
9) Two sizes of sticky notes. (I usually have three but the other pad is in my office)
10) 6 inch ruler (straight lines are important)
11) Various pens and pencils.
12) Power cord and mouse for my laptop
13) EVM board for one of my products
14) TI-30 and TI-89 calculators. (OHAI! I'mma nerd!)
15) And finally all of that fits into my GR-1

2012-10-06_10-59-53_986.jpg

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

@Odyssey, Companion cube? That's awesome.

@Bigm, love the TI-89, it was always my go-to calculator. I could expand on my list a bit if I started including work tools, reminds me I need to try and find a bag for carrying those in as my current soft-side box is a bit unprofessional looking.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

In my pockets, I usually just carry my wallet (back right), phone (front right) and loose change/keys (front left). In my bag I always have a 1L steel water bottle with varying amounts of water, a pocket knife, work gloves, a microfiber cloth, 2 or 3 sets of contacts that have been in there for at least 2 years, and a random rock from along the railway tracks. Occasionally there will be a steel coffee mug hanging from the strap (less often since I graduated university) There's also usually a small bottle of ibuprofen in there too, but currently I'm out, and often a book (currently Vol. 1 of the complete works of Sir Arthur Conon Doyle), and when necessary, feminine items.

Dare mighty things

I am simple... my fitbit... debit card and drivers lisc... and my phone... keys go on a carabiner on the belt loop... sometimes I have burts bees chapstick...

if I am at work I always have a pen (or three) and a sharpie...

that's about it... when hiking biking I am going to be carrying my new set up... I have an REI flash 18 bag... and I ordered a goruck 3L low profile hydration system... can't wait for it to come...

what else I carry depends on how long I am away from the car

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I wear woman's clothing will none or very small pocket space, so this is for my purse or backpack. I repack it whenever I go out, but this is what almost always comes with me if I'm gone more than an hour from home:

Keys I will need

iPhone

Earbuds

iPhone charger

TARDIS phone case/wallet with appropriate number of credit cards, ID etc

Simple emergency make up bag (including hair elastic, tweezers and mani kit)

Comb or hair brush (depending on the style I wear for the day)

Water bottle

Two brands of pain killers (one head ache/menstrual cramp, one migraine)

Hand cream

Lip balm

Calendar

Pen

I like being prepared! :) If I had a car, I would keep a flashlight and knife in there, have yet to find a situation when iPhone and nail clippers isn't enough.

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

I just do wallet - keys - phone, need to be better about hankercheif because of my sinuses. Since I wanna wear more girl clothes,I should make a comfortable purse and carry pen sketch book basic useful stuff . I used to have a key ring with nail clippers and blade.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I am a very forgetful person, so every day i count the 6 things that I should have on other than my cloths.  My wedding ring is not included as I don't take it off except to dead lift and row.

1. iPhone (personal)
  2. Blackberry (work)
  3. wristwatch
  4. wallet- contains drivers license, credit cards, commonly used busniess cards, family pictures
  5. keys- my friends make fun of me for looking like a janitor.  I have 13 keys on my keyring as I have keys to: my car, my wife's car, my house, my mom's house, my dad's house, my grandparent's house, and my luggage lock.  Some of those sets have various keys for various doors. I also have a bottle opener and some of those store membership key ring dongles.  I actually need to add my shed key to it.
  6. work id

Every now and again it's 7 as I will where my college class ring.  My high school one I don't think will ever fit again.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I am a total bag lady. In my purse I have a small bag which has a travel size toothpaste, tootbrush, lotion, handsanitzer, tide to go pen, and deoderant. I also have a Tattoo Goo kit from my recent tattoo, a book (Interestingly it's The Hobbit), two sets of car keys, my wallet, a water bottle, and my phone. hahaha.

I'm an athiest and I thank God for it. -George Bernard Shaw 

If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor. -Voltaire 

'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. -James Morrow

I feel inferior. XD I have my phone, chapstick, a pen, and a pocket knife.

my FitBit hangs out on my bra ^_^' and I have a New Orleans Saints necklace that keeps a tiny sliver of paper in it. I write my Challenge Goals on it every six weeks and keep that with me. then there's a watch that never comes off. literally. because it's waterproof. w00t.

now my satchel, meanwhile, has my world in it. it's actually a neat little TMNT shell backpack (because I'm a dork). that's got another pocket knife, a few "feminine products", a brush, my wallet, an assortment of sharpies and other writing utensils, iPad, phone & iPad charger, deck of cards, toothbrush & toothpaste, two to three books, floss stick things, and ... no, I think that's it. ^_^'

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Shukar, on 28 Jan 2013 - 21:20, said:

Used to carry around 2 rocks and a random die from my collection as well but I've since found no real use for the die and the rocks where symbolic in the first place.

I have a d20 in a necklace for any time my crew would have an impromptu RPG session.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

pockets: Phone

Purse:

2 containers of lip goo

moisturizer

hand santizer

bandaids

tylonol & advil

10th doctor's sonic screwdriver

reusable shopping bag

wallet

The purse thing is new to me, but I am adapting to it quite nicely.

I have a mini 11th Doctor sonic screwdriver on my keychain.

I got used to having a purse quite well very easily. I can only remember a handful of times that I have ever left it behind somewhere or lost it.

I'm an athiest and I thank God for it. -George Bernard Shaw 

If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor. -Voltaire 

'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. -James Morrow

If I have any type of pocket: phone, lip balm, a tissue (allergies). If I absolutely must, include ID, cash. Usually I get Sherpa (aka spousal unit and yes, I call him Sherpa) to carry everything. I usually walk around w nothing but a phone and lip balm. Ha

To work, etc. I schlep stuff in my ruck bc I'm gone 12 hours at a time. Includes keys, work keys, work ID, gym clothes, water, lax ball, inhaler, wallet, iPod, lots of lip balm, Kleenex pack, my lunch, protein powder, hand lotion, hair ties, file for calluses, and lately, athletic tape. that's my daily schlep. Sometimes it includes shoes or an e-book. One day a week it includes all my MMA gear. Now that's a schlep.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

On my person, I have my wallet, and a small pouch which contains small religious/sentimental/symbolic items, I always wear a belt to attach my phone to, and my back pockets are usually full of receipts/random papers that I pick up whenever I'm out, sometimes I carry a pen

In my Car, I have everything from a Jack to a complete tool kit, Flashlight, box-cutter knife, Book on repairs for said car, and a smashed box of kleenex... And now that I remember 2 small thermos, of which I forget to take out and clean...

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

If I have pockets, then I'll usually stash my cell phone in one pocket and some random other item (band-aid, Kleenex, cleaning wipes for my glasses, unremarkable gold ring etc.) in the other.  :friendly_wink:

Most things are in my purse which has:

Wallet

iPod

Cell phone (when not in pocket)

Hand lotion

Pocket knife

Portable emergency fire starting device AKA magnesium strip w/ flint and striker (for survival purposes in case I get caught in an episode of dual survivor or the zombie apocalypse)

Super bright LED mini flashlight

and regular lighter (just in case I can't figure out the emergency fire starting device)

Oh and lip balm

Those are my usual must haves.

Sketches

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR: 2  |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 1  |  CON: 4  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 2

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."  ~ C S Lewis

Art of Manliness ran a contest back in 2009 about this, and it is a recurring theme.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/04/26/wr-case-sons-whats-in-your-pocket-pocket-knife-giveaway/

Quite a few men have a momento from their father with them.  I don't, but I know exactly what my father would have had in his pockets, and I basically mirror that.

Left front pants, keys

Right front, phone, unless I have cargo pants on, or a phone clip

Left rear, wallet

Right read, handkerchef

Backpack

Work laptop, sometimes personal as well, with chargers

Wireless mouse

Headphones

Selection of usb cables and 2 chargers, 1 dual slot car charger and 1 dual slot wall charger

Work notebook (7" unlined Moleskin)

Work badge

Personal journal (small lined Moleskin)

Workout journal (small lined Moleskin)

Collapsible umbrella

10' Cat 5 cable

Selection of USB keys

Work hardware token

Hopefully some pens and mechanical pencils.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

If I don't carry a purse... side pockets: lip balm, keys, cell phone. back pocket: cash/id/Credit card

My giant lady purse is a different story, lol:

wallet

cell phone

sometimes my digital camera if it's fully charged

mini sticky note pad

my nexus

at least 1 thing of hand lotion

a mini tube of aquafor

at least 1 lip balm (in addition to what's in my jeans)

thumb drive

sunglasses

mittens

make up bag: mirror, eyelash curler, eyeshadow, liquid eye liner, little thing of medicated face cream, meds, lipstick

random receipts

at least 3 pens/pencils

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

Archived