Forums are back in action! ×

tOfficial 2013 NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge

msuroo

Come one, come all!  It's time for the Second Annual Official* Nerd Fitness NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge!
*I guess it's technically un-official, but until Steve decides to put one together I'm calling mine official.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, the NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Championship is a 68 team, single elimination tournament held over three weeks to determine the collegiate national champion for the 2012-2013 season.  Many of us enjoy predicting the outcome of this tournament (for entertainment purposes only, of course), and to that end, I am hosting another pool for NF this year.  Free to enter for all who want to play, and just like last year I'll put up a NF tee-shirt (or shield tee or tank top) for the winner.  

Note: you do not need to be an avid college hoops fan to participate.  In fact, I'm convinced that the more basketball you watch, the worse you do at these things.  I've done more office pools than I can count, and the winner is never a fan.  Spezzy watched a grand total of zero games last year, and came within one game of winning it all.  tl;dr - sign up!  It's fun!

Here's what to do:

• Go here and join the group, using the password "squatpocalypse".  (If you prefer, you can go to the ESPN Tournament Challenge frontpage here and find the group by the name "Nerd Fitness".)
  • Pick your bracket.  As I mentioned before, this is a 68 team tournament, but the first four games, which will be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 19-20, will not be part of the contest.  Picks can be made up until the first "round of 64" game tips off on Thursday afternoon, after which all brackets will be locked.
  • Follow along and root for your teams!  Every game will be televised on some combination of CBS, TNT, TBS and TruTV, and you can also watch live online here.

A couple of added notes.

• Just one bracket per person please. Unlike a money pool where I normally wouldn't mind if someone paid for 2 or 3 entries, we're just doing this for fun. So pick one bracket and run with it.
  • Use your forum handle for your bracket name, if possible.  This makes it a lot easier to follow the action and keeps it generally more interesting.  If you're generally a "blog only" reader, or are just a forum lurker and thus don't have a handle, that's fine too (all rebels are welcome - the more the merrier!), but if you have one, please use it.

I think that's it, but if there are questions, or anything else I missed, just let me know!

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

The NCAA is the governing body for collegiate athletics in the US. The NCAA Tournament most commonly (and most certainly, in this context), refers to the Division 1 basketball championship, in which 68 teams are selected to compete in a single-elimination tournament to crown the national champion for the season.

Predicting the winners and losers of all of the games of said tournament is something of a national pastime - billions of dollars annually are wagered in "office pools" across the country. It's a fun event because you don't have to be an active fan of college basketball to participate. There's so many games that nobody is going to get them all right. There's countless stories of secretaries winning the pool after picking by mascots, or team colors, or what have you. Spezzy was actually one game from winning the NF pool last year.

Anyway, there won't be any money involved in this one - free to sign up for everyone who wants to play. Once the tournament field is announced on Sunday, you predict the winners of all of the games (don't worry, there will be a website to log your picks and track everyone's scores). Three weeks later when the dust settles, the winner gets a free t-shirt!

In.

Last night, I think it was Musberger who was saying that you should all be looking very carefully at Kansas as you start pushing teams through your bracket to the Final Four and was raving about what a really great team they are. As sad as it makes me to say this, I'm a longtime Jayhawk, and I know what that means. Allow me to translate: We'll be out by the second round.

I'm in and MSU better beat up on Dook!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Got mine picked.  I have georgetown winning it. I also don't pay attention to basketball and randomly chose.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I never posted that I'm in. I picked Lou-uh-vuhl and Indiana both as 1-16 upsets, only because I talked smack the second half of the season that this was the year. Common sense says it's going to be Kansas, but I couldn't do it. I had to right my ship and filled the FF with one 1 seed, the rest 2s. No, the one 1 wasn't Kansas.

My bracket will be busted by Friday. I can't wait!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Just entered! I have felt for a while now that Miami and Indiana were the two best teams in the country this season, and I have Miami winning it all. I believe that if they meet in a regional final, as I believe they will, it'll be the best game of the tournament.

Jeebus, your final 4 are still alive.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived