Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Most of the annoying comments I get are less about working out or my appearance and more about my attitude.  I hear this one often enough that it's starting to grate on me:

"How can you stay so happy all the time?"

Seriously?  You are suffering through such terrible natural occurrences that you can't put a smile on your face?  Realize that all of our time on this planet is limited. Enjoy what time you have.  I firmly believe that we live the life we want to.  You have the power and ability to change your life as you see fit.  It's not always easy and it's often improbable to do so, but if you want it bad enough, you can do it.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.  Even the natural happenings in this life are no match for the literally awesome power of the human spirit to overcome. 

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I am really getting annoyed by a bunch of comments lately. My whole life people were giving me flak for being overweight/obese and not working out. Well, I lost all the weight and now workout a lot. Guess what? I get all the typical comments:

"How can you eat so well all the time?"

"You go work out AGAIN?"

"How thin do you want to get?"

"You make me feel so lazy/fat/weak..."

oh and my favourite:

"You are so LUCKY!"

Leave me alone people!!! I know most of them are just envious and I certainly didn't change my life to stop the comments but really? REALLY??? Now you give me a hard time because I am living a healthy life? And no, it's not luck, it's damn hard work, dammit!

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Most of the annoying comments I get are less about working out or my appearance and more about my attitude.  I hear this one often enough that it's starting to grate on me:

Seriously?  You are suffering through such terrible natural occurrences that you can't put a smile on your face?  Realize that all of our time on this planet is limited. Enjoy what time you have.  I firmly believe that we live the life we want to.  You have the power and ability to change your life as you see fit.  It's not always easy and it's often improbable to do so, but if you want it bad enough, you can do it.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.  Even the natural happenings in this life are no match for the literally awesome power of the human spirit to overcome. 

I like this and I am of a similar mind.  It seems people always have something about which to complain.  My outlook is to always stay positive and look at things in an optimistic way.  It's much easier to face any situation when you face it optimistically, and even if something does go wrong or it does not go how you expected it to go, then learn from the situation to do better next time or focus on the solution to the problem instead of dwelling on what went wrong... I feel like I'm rambling -- essentially, you will make your day better, and that of everyone you encounter, by being optimistic/positive!

Kruser

Fleet Footed Wood Elf

SCOUT

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

This pisses my wife off SO MUCH.  I've somehow learned how to acknowledge the worries and stresses in my life, without letting them completely wreck my day / life / outlook.  I mean, occasionally I get frustrated, but I am also better at noticing it and apologizing.   One bad bank statement, though, can make her pretty unbearable company for DAYS on end, and when I'm not equally rage-filled, it makes her even angrier, because she thinks I don't care.

*grumbles* 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I'm severely gluten intolerant and always get asked about it. Some people are genuinely curious and I'm always happy to explain how I eat to them and the ins and outs of a gluten and grain-free lifestyle. 

Others though... the question I always get asked if "Oh but how can you live without bread/pasta/beer/etc?" swiftly followed by "Don't you miss them?" and "How can you even eat then?!", as if ordering a chicken salad at lunch rather than a chicken sandwich is a simply alien concept. I try to explain to them that while I sometimes get mild cravings when I smell freshly buttered toast or hot tomatoey pasta, for example, I know what eating them will do to my body and the very idea of the repercussions I will suffer is enough to allay any cravings. This is usually followed by "Oh surely it can't be that bad, you need to eat this stuff to have a healthy, balanced diet". I'd rather not go into the intimate details of the acid reflux, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and other fun side effects but if you insist...

I feel your pain.

I am allergic to dairy.  Not just lactose intolerant - lactose free dairy makes me sick as well.

Most dairy products I've never had in my life so I can't miss them but I hear ALL THE FREAKING TIME

"I couldn't live without cheese!"

"No ice cream?  You poor man!"

"Where do you get calcium from?"

"I'm not sure I'd want to live if I couldn't have -insert random something here-"

Seriously people, it's a food allergy.  It's not a terminal illness...and I don't miss what I haven't had.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Sometimes I feel like not being able to eat bread without getting super sick for hours is a terminal illness.

I miss pasta.

And bread.  Garlic bread!

Going to a pancake house and eating pancakes that somebody else made instead of having to make some at home from bananas and eggs.

Having to ask the waitress at Expensive Steakhouse about what kind of sauce they use on the chicken and can you check if it's gluten free and she says no she won't go check and then I have to try and not go all Hulk Smash on her, because not only can I not eat that bread you just put on the table, you won't go ask the cook if that stuff you're putting on my chicken will make me sick, and the waitress at Chain Steakhouse went and asked the cook for me and then even double-checked on something else for me of her own accord when she was back getting my drink, so why won't you please go check, and I bet if I told you "Are you sure you won't go check because MY NAME IS DR. BANNER" you probably wouldn't even get what I was saying.

And Oreos.

Mostly Oreos.

Do I like not being sick more than I like pasta?  Yes.  And that's always my response when people ask "But don't you miss pasta/bread/gluten-y thing?!" or "Oh I could NEVER do that, I like pasta so much!!"  Yes, me too, but I like not being sick more than I like eating that.

But I still miss Oreos.

Oreos.

Maybe they should pay attention to that feeling?

Wow, not sure how I missed that.   That's also something that confuses and frustrates me. 

Do you think I'm eating healthy, exercising hard and losing weight... to spite you? That this is some incredibly convoluted way to insult you? I... you... it... AUGH. 

Do you think I'm eating healthy, exercising hard and losing weight... to spite you? That this is some incredibly convoluted way to insult you? I... you... it... AUGH. 

Exactly, like anybody goes through a change like that to piss others off. Sure. Though I find the "lucky you" comment even more insulting. It's not like I didn't put hard work into it and they can't. 

pre-Assassin

Twitter

"Am I going to have to have an anorexia intervention for you?"

"When are you going to stop losing weight?"

"You're getting too skinny!"

These are cliche by this point in the thread but this is what I've heard at work... This week.

I'm a 6 foot tall man with a BMI of 28 (let's skip the debate on bmi for the moment) and 30% body fat. I'm hardy anorexic, I'm not too thin. I've made great progress and I am happy with myself, I really am... But I have goals, and these comments are such annoying backhanded "compliments".

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

don't know if I posted this here or not... I work nights... I hear this often...

last week I was eating a salad... and I had one of the docs walk by and say "you can not eat like that at night it is against the rules to eat healthy things at night"

I told her "you don't get to lose weight like I have if you follow rediculous traditions like that"

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

JitterstheClown, I like you!

Awww, thanks.  I think more people should.  :pride:

I like this and I am of a similar mind.  It seems people always have something about which to complain.  My outlook is to always stay positive and look at things in an optimistic way.  It's much easier to face any situation when you face it optimistically, and even if something does go wrong or it does not go how you expected it to go, then learn from the situation to do better next time or focus on the solution to the problem instead of dwelling on what went wrong... I feel like I'm rambling -- essentially, you will make your day better, and that of everyone you encounter, by being optimistic/positive!

Rambling is a good thing.  I've found some of my best clowning material through ramblings.  I approve!

This pisses my wife off SO MUCH.  I've somehow learned how to acknowledge the worries and stresses in my life, without letting them completely wreck my day / life / outlook.  I mean, occasionally I get frustrated, but I am also better at noticing it and apologizing.   One bad bank statement, though, can make her pretty unbearable company for DAYS on end, and when I'm not equally rage-filled, it makes her even angrier, because she thinks I don't care.

*grumbles* 

My wife has come to the realization that if something needs to be taken care of because it went south, I take care of it.  She's aware of how my mood can sometimes (a lot of the times) make things better than if they never went wrong in the first place.  I found, though, it took a couple years for this to come about.  We had a good conversation about it and it's been a great dynamic since.  Let your wife know why you won't let it ruin your day and maybe she'll come around. 

Level 2 Warforged Druid

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

A comment I'm hearing almost every time that I tell somebody that I want to do a caber toss in the 2015 Highland Games, in my home county, wearing my families tartan-

"Aren't you a bit too old for something like that?  You are in your 30s now, the time for that is behind you"

Piss off.  I refuse to believe that I can't get fit again now that I am 34.  Hell, I don't believe in an age limit for things like this.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Well, you of course realize that by the time your Scottish ancestors were 34, they had settled down into a sedate life of drinking tea and stitching exciting tartan glenwillies...

Thankfully times have changed since my ancestors were running around. ;)

level 4 Gnoll warrior

Crivens! :D

Along the same lines, anytime anyone tells me I'm too old to pursue any of my goals (at least the crazier goals). Considering these were all the same people telling me I was too young to have children, I can only assume that I will forever be the incorrect age for everything.

I just don't get why people even need to comment. Have something constructive to say, fine but not stuff like that.

@Raev That's a great goal to have. I finally start believing that when I have a passion for something and put in hard work I can achieve pretty much anything.

@Thrillho love that last line on your signature!

pre-Assassin

Twitter

Having to ask the waitress at Expensive Steakhouse about what kind of sauce they use on the chicken and can you check if it's gluten free and she says no she won't go check and then I have to try and not go all Hulk Smash on her, because not only can I not eat that bread you just put on the table, you won't go ask the cook if that stuff you're putting on my chicken will make me sick, and the waitress at Chain Steakhouse went and asked the cook for me and then even double-checked on something else for me of her own accord when she was back getting my drink, so why won't you please go check, and I bet if I told you "Are you sure you won't go check because MY NAME IS DR. BANNER" you probably wouldn't even get what I was .

That makes me want to Hulk out. I hate it when servers don't do their job properly, especially if they work at a nicer/more expensive place. I've worked in diners, catering, banquets and fine dining and I took it as my responsibility to know every single thing about each dish I bring out. Yes, it was thickened with a roux. No, the special was cooked in the sauce so you're unable to have it on the side. We have farmed Atlantic salmon but our white fish is locally sourced.

When a customer wants something specific and that request is satisfied they are more likely to tip better. I had one server mention when I was out with my boyfriend (who was quite allergic to seafood) that I probably do not want to order the Cesar salad since their homemade dressing contains anchovies. She listened enough to notice I changed my usual eating habits (always get their angry seafood platter and we couldn't get the featured smoked salmon appetizer) to accommodate him and that ended up netting her an extra $10.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

A comment I'm hearing almost every time that I tell somebody that I want to do a caber toss in the 2015 Highland Games, in my home county, wearing my families tartan-

"Aren't you a bit too old for something like that?  You are in your 30s now, the time for that is behind you"

Piss off.  I refuse to believe that I can't get fit again now that I am 34.  Hell, I don't believe in an age limit for things like this.

The last power lifting meet I was at a 42 year old just missed dead lifting 650 lbs. He was wearing a highland games t shirt.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I agree 100% and would say that you have you shit together....however you are a clown and due to my deepseated resentment for clows (dramatic experience when i was younger coupled with watching IT at the age of 5 *shudder*) I am now going to disagree with you 28435753468435% Thank you and please return to your regularly scheduled broadcasting

Also i belive the saying goes Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I agree 100% and would say that you have you shit together....however you are a clown and due to my deepseated resentment for clows (dramatic experience when i was younger coupled with watching IT at the age of 5 *shudder*) I am now going to disagree with you 28435753468435% Thank you and please return to your regularly scheduled broadcasting

Also i belive the saying goes Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

It is indeed.  And now I need to watch The Princess Bride again... 

Level 2 Warforged Druid