Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Well. If I meet a girl and I have a wonderful time with her, I'm not going to be all 'Ew, you have a callus in your hand? We can't--like-- even be friends anymore.'

Especially, people with these kind of small calluses/ skin imperfection tell great stories about their interests. Small burns? They are great cooks. Fingertip calluses? Great guitarist. Bent toenails? Great runners.

Don't be discouraged. Be proud. It's your medal that you do something so hard it becomes a small part of your identity. 

I've always said... a scar is a tattoo with a story. :-)

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

"His jiggling is almost hypnotic." "Yes, it's like a lava lamp." :)

I get "From where?" pretty regularly.

Um, from here, and right here, and also here...

I often wonder whether the average joe just doesn't know what fat feel like. Someone told me it was just loose skin, my response was "empty loose skin is not 2inches thick when you pinch it"

• Like 1

"His jiggling is almost hypnotic." "Yes, it's like a lava lamp." :)

images%2Fvideo%2F2014%2F05%2F20%2FJu8I2e

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I'll first off I'll state this; I don't get a lot of comments, I eat out rarely, and when I do it is at typically a steakhouse, or supper club which is pretty easy to hide a paleo diet without even trying! MEAT! RAWR! Anyhow.

At a local greasy spoon here the other day with my 6 year old son for breakfast.  He ordered pancakes, and I coffee, two eggs, and two pieces of bacon.  Waitress said they don't have just eggs and bacon, but they do have eggs, bacon and toast; I said that was fine, that they could omit the toast and I'd pay for it.

She looked at me pretty perplexed; and said "You sure? You could have <lists off just about every bread type item they have> in its place." again I politely declined, that I just wanted 2 eggs and 2 bacon for my breakfast, and coffee. It was early morning and maybe she hadn't had a cup of coffee yet, but I swear, I could hear the cogs slowly churning in her head looking for some reason why I didn't want toast, a muffin, scone, bagel etc, as I kind of stared her down as I sipped my coffee. I could have explained hindsight being 20/20 n' all, but this was my first cup of coffee.... which should explain everything. Right? Anyhow

Side note: she was not rude or impolite, but I was rather shocked, internally, at how it perplexed her; she didn't say anything else regarding it.

• Like 2

-Purple_Panda

She looked at me pretty perplexed; and said "You sure? You could have <lists off just about every bread type item they have> in its place." again I politely declined, that I just wanted 2 eggs and 2 bacon for my breakfast, and coffee. It was early morning and maybe she hadn't had a cup of coffee yet, but I swear, I could hear the cogs slowly churning in her head looking for some reason why I didn't want toast, a muffin, scone, bagel etc,

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I can't be the only one to think it's actually kinda cool to have calloused hands from strength training can I? It's like yeah...check out the evidence of my strength training right here...yeah totally. I lift. I lift so much my body has to make my SKIN stronger too. Yeah, I know. Badass, right? 

I know. 

Am I the only one who feels this way?? 

Use oil if it's uncomfortable, but definitely don't feel like it's 'disgusting.' I think it's cool. Actually, I think it's kind of beautiful how the body does this.

Yeah, totally agree. It shows that when well maintained, your body is not your enemy, it is your friend.

• Like 2

This isn't an all the time thing, but I have some slight calluses on my hands from lifting. I don't think they're particularly noticeable, but a co-worker/friend of mine has wanted me to talk to her about starting strength training with a barbell. She is a little intimidated by the weights section of her gym, & I agreed to go with her one day next week to "introduce" her to the area. 

Anyway, she was asking me about if she would get calluses on her hands, because I guess she got them when she rowed in high school. An old trainer of mine who used to lift very heavy yet still had nice hands told me the secret was rubbing olive oil on your hands. I told her that trick, & then that I didn't do much of anything but mine weren't too noticeable. Another co-worker of ours said "If you are going to strength train, you need to buy gloves. No girl wants gross calluses on their hands, it's disgusting." 

And I mean, I get it, but I'm not going to say it didn't sting a little.

Tell the other coworker to kiss MY ass.

I respect a strong work ethic and attention to health, as well as a willingness to push yourself.  I have no problem with lifters calluses on the hand.

• Like 2

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I've always said... a scar is a tattoo with a story. :-)

I have a lot of stories ;)

And I love my calluses

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I have a lot of stories ;)

And I love my calluses

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

As do I... some of involve superheros, some stupidity, but they're all mine.

Gotta work on the calluses though, my hands definitely don't resemble the beating they can take...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

As do I... some of involve superheros, some stupidity, but they're all mine.

Gotta work on the calluses though, my hands definitely don't resemble the beating they can take...

I just wish I remembered more of the stories behind my scars. I've got so many cause I scar easily and cut myself pretty often. Even at 54 years old I still seem to have the body awareness of a teenager, bumping and running into things.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This isn't an all the time thing, but I have some slight calluses on my hands from lifting. I don't think they're particularly noticeable, but a co-worker/friend of mine has wanted me to talk to her about starting strength training with a barbell. She is a little intimidated by the weights section of her gym, & I agreed to go with her one day next week to "introduce" her to the area. 

Anyway, she was asking me about if she would get calluses on her hands, because I guess she got them when she rowed in high school. An old trainer of mine who used to lift very heavy yet still had nice hands told me the secret was rubbing olive oil on your hands. I told her that trick, & then that I didn't do much of anything but mine weren't too noticeable. Another co-worker of ours said "If you are going to strength train, you need to buy gloves. No girl wants gross calluses on their hands, it's disgusting." 

And I mean, I get it, but I'm not going to say it didn't sting a little.

That is insane. I have calluses on my hands and it's from me pole dancing! Pretty sure you can't get more womanly than that ;P bahaha. And my hands need to hold my bodyweight so the skin has to get stronger somehow!

• Like 2

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

I'll first off I'll state this; I don't get a lot of comments, I eat out rarely, and when I do it is at typically a steakhouse, or supper club which is pretty easy to hide a paleo diet without even trying! MEAT! RAWR! Anyhow.

At a local greasy spoon here the other day with my 6 year old son for breakfast.  He ordered pancakes, and I coffee, two eggs, and two pieces of bacon.  Waitress said they don't have just eggs and bacon, but they do have eggs, bacon and toast; I said that was fine, that they could omit the toast and I'd pay for it.

She looked at me pretty perplexed; and said "You sure? You could have <lists off just about every bread type item they have> in its place." again I politely declined, that I just wanted 2 eggs and 2 bacon for my breakfast, and coffee. It was early morning and maybe she hadn't had a cup of coffee yet, but I swear, I could hear the cogs slowly churning in her head looking for some reason why I didn't want toast, a muffin, scone, bagel etc, as I kind of stared her down as I sipped my coffee. I could have explained hindsight being 20/20 n' all, but this was my first cup of coffee.... which should explain everything. Right? Anyhow

Side note: she was not rude or impolite, but I was rather shocked, internally, at how it perplexed her; she didn't say anything else regarding it.

Some people just don't understand. I know how you feel, as I'm vegetarian. So sometimes when I ask for say, eggs benedict, I ask them to omit the bacon. Or if I want some sort of salad and ask for it without the chicken. Although, the waitresses/waiters around here are pretty good, I get the weird looks from my friends!

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

At work today while enjoying my lunch of green lettuce, red lettuce, kale, carrots and snap beans a coworker asks me "Why do you eat that ****in rabbit food?"

"Because since I stopped eating crap, I'm down 19lbs and am stronger than I've ever been in my life"

.....silence.....

"Aight man, tear it up!  Eat the **** out of that rabbit food!"

• Like 8

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

At work today while enjoying my lunch of green lettuce, red lettuce, kale, carrots and snap beans a coworker asks me "Why do you eat that ****in rabbit food?"

"Because since I stopped eating crap, I'm down 19lbs and am stronger than I've ever been in my life"

.....silence.....

"Aight man, tear it up!  Eat the **** out of that rabbit food!"

LOL... awesome reaction... :-)

My first challenge

People in general: "You're really into this running thing/exercise/martial arts, aren't you?"

Me: "Well, I'm a fat ass, and I don't want to be a fat ass anymore."

Some people need to actually work at being good at something and losing weight.

• Like 1

6th kyu in Aikido

I write stuff in my spare time

I love Star Trek

I can't be the only one to think it's actually kinda cool to have calloused hands from strength training can I? It's like yeah...check out the evidence of my strength training right here...yeah totally. I lift. I lift so much my body has to make my SKIN stronger too. Yeah, I know. Badass, right? 

I know. 

Am I the only one who feels this way?? 

Use oil if it's uncomfortable, but definitely don't feel like it's 'disgusting.' I think it's cool. Actually, I think it's kind of beautiful how the body does this. And good on you for showing her round the gym, because you're right - that area can be a bit intimidating!

From a guy's perspective, I don't find calluses unattractive at all - quite the opposite when you consider how those calluses were earned.  My girlfriend rows - which means blisters and/or calluses when she is rowing regularly.  I've offered her my perspective on this a couple of different ways, but it basically boils down to the fact that I find a woman who is physically active and adventurous, far more attractive than one who spends most of her time sitting around and emphasizes trying to look pretty, instead of going out and living an interesting life.  From a man's perspective, the pluses from a woman lifting/rowing/doing other callus-generating activities far outweigh the minuses.  Any guy that thinks otherwise, probably isn't worth your time.

Probably preaching to the choir on these forums, but lifting/engaging in other physical activity that may create calluses as a side effect is a plus, not a minus.  Problem is some guys just don't realize this at first - but they'll like the results all the same.

• Like 7

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

You shouldn't lift because it will make you thick/ look shorter. (The speaker is willowy with a not little amount of beer gut)

THIS. I just started weightlifting with a trainer three weeks ago and whenever it comes up when people ask what I've been up to workout wise I get the 'Oh, watch out you'll get all bulky' 

Or 'you're going to look like Arnold!' 

.....I'm a 5'3 125 pound chick, sure I'll look like Arnold.  :offended:

I gave up trying to explain myself. 

• Like 5

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

"Come on, one won´t kill you", "You have to live sometimes" "You have earned it" and similar comments when I only eat "healthy" foods and people around me eat desserts. I´m trying to cut out processed food cause I don´t like the way I feel after I have eaten it. Also and I have a hard time eating just one bite, so I don´t eat it at all.

And why do people seem to think that I can´t be happy without eating processed food???

• Like 8

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

"Come on, one won´t kill you", "You have to live sometimes" "You have earned it" and similar comments when I only eat "healthy" foods and people around me eat desserts. I´m trying to cut out processed food cause I don´t like the way I feel after I have eaten it. Also and I have a hard time eating just one bite, so I don´t eat it at all.

And why do people seem to think that I can´t be happy without eating processed food???

A mixture of guilt and envy, maybe... and a bit of "social conventions": everybody does it, why you don't?

Congrats on being strong!

• Like 1