Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

My new pet peeve - every time a man (not a single woman has said this) finds out I take martial arts, this comes out of their mouth.

"Oh, you take martial arts?  I bet you could beat me up."

Uh... why would I want to?  I didn't start doing it so I could beat people up.

They feel threatened and want to confirm it :tongue:

• Like 1

My new pet peeve - every time a man (not a single woman has said this) finds out I take martial arts, this comes out of their mouth.

I used to get this as a guy, I tend to be quiet so I'm always getting the "It's the quiet ones you gotta watch out for" comments, and one day I walked into work straight from Krav Maga class and still had the "uniform" on...

Random co-worker: Oh man... you do martial arts... could you beat me up?

Me: *Shrugs and walks off*

Surrounding co-workers: Oh Man... it's the quiet ones you gotta watch out for... he probably has 13 ways to kill you with his pinky.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

George Carlin said it best;

"It's the quiet ones you gotta watch; this sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption..I will bet you anything that while you're watching a quiet one...a noisy one will fucking kill you! Suppose you're in a bar and one guy's sitting over on a side reading a book, not bothering anybody and another guys standing at the front with a machete banging on the bar saying I'll kill the next motherfucker who comes in here! Who're you gunna watch?"

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I used to get this as a guy, I tend to be quiet so I'm always getting the "It's the quiet ones you gotta watch out for" comments, and one day I walked into work straight from Krav Maga class and still had the "uniform" on...

Random co-worker: Oh man... you do martial arts... could you beat me up?

Is that a request? *polite smile*

• Like 1

George Carlin said it best;

"It's the quiet ones you gotta watch; this sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption..I will bet you anything that while you're watching a quiet one...a noisy one will fucking kill you! Suppose you're in a bar and one guy's sitting over on a side reading a book, not bothering anybody and another guys standing at the front with a machete banging on the bar saying I'll kill the next motherfucker who comes in here! Who're you gunna watch?"

In a sense... he could have been the quiet one before he found a machete... :-)

Is that a request? *polite smile*

Man... about 10 years too late... :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I get the opposite, unfortunately.

"Oh, you do judo?" <minutes later> "...I bet I could take you." 

And it's always the guys who do nothing physically, who say this crap. I don't understand testosterone, or the need to verbally pound your chest with fists. 

In all honesty when guys are saying "I bet you could beat me up", they're probably flirting with you, or trying to at least. Funnily enough, it's guys who say the opposite to me (e.g. "I bet I could take you"). 

• Like 4

I just get wry disbelief. "Uh huh. You did martial arts. Riiiiiight. I'm sure it was a tough weekend for you.  Black belt yet? Nope? Eh, whatever. I train with Israeli Special Forces on YouTube."

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I just get wry disbelief. "Uh huh. You did martial arts. Riiiiiight. I'm sure it was a tough weekend for you.  Black belt yet? Nope? Eh, whatever. I train with Israeli Special Forces on YouTube."

I mostly just get 'I don't like violent guys.' When girls know I train for martial arts. (My ex-girlfriend also said it.) It doesn't help that I am pretty buff and have that 'resting butt face'.

I mostly just get 'I don't like violent guys.' When girls know I train for martial arts. (My ex-girlfriend also said it.) It doesn't help that I am pretty buff and have that 'resting butt face'.

So hard to get people to get the difference between "I train in MA" and "I'm a violent person" some days :( I get a lot of people who are like "Oh, you do/did karate? should I be scared?"  :neglected:

Current Challenge: Developing Roots

I train martial arts because I like to fight, competitively. Assuming I'm violent in any sort of threatening way is like assuming someone who loves to play baseball just does it so he can crack people with bats on the weekend.

• Like 6

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

[tell people i train capoeira] - oh so you can breakdance??

[tell people i train parkour] - do a backflip!

[tell people i smoke] - you know thats bad for you right?

[tell people my height] - wow youre really tall.

erry time.

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

[tell people my height] - wow youre really tall.

erry time.

I got this all the time growing up. People would always comment on how long my legs were and how tall I was going to get. I don't even think I'm that much taller than average, only 5'7, so now its really annoying.

Aaaaaand, now I feel the need to ask how tall you are.

They really need to know your exact height before telling you that you´re really tall?

on the internet yes. in person it goes something like:

[person looks at me] "oh my gosh how tall are you?" [sigh and tell them] "oh wow you're really tall!"

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

If somebody ask for me I'll be hanging out under y'all rib cages.

• Like 3

I'll be right there with you, Phytomancer. 

My younger brother (who has about 8 inches on me) likes to come up behind me and put his chin on the top of my head.  BECAUSE HE CAN.  :(

This just brought back memories. I used to do that to someone but for the life of me i can't remember who. My sister is too tall (i'm average height) and none of my girlfriends have been short enough for this. So who did i do it too? Very worrying

This just brought back memories. I used to do that to someone but for the life of me i can't remember who. My sister is too tall (i'm average height) and none of my girlfriends have been short enough for this. So who did i do it too? Very worrying

Maybe Zelo... and she only thought it was her brother... dun dun dunnnnn...

• Like 2

My first challenge

I'll be right there with you, Phytomancer. 

My younger brother (who has about 8 inches on me) likes to come up behind me and put his chin on the top of my head.  BECAUSE HE CAN.  :(

I can do that to my mother. She's 4'10".

Our family... we've evolved to fit in economy airplane seats.

since we're talking about height, i have almost a foot on my older sister and people always refer to me as her "big sister" and her as my "little sister" which i'm sure is just as annoying for her as it is me

Level 2 Wood Elf, Adventuring for Ranger status

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 1.75 | CON 1.75 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

71.6%
71.6%

> 65kg

0%
0%

100 days crisp free