Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

I have an opposite pressure.

I am currently a PhD student of age 25. My parents keep telling me that I should not see/ date/ look for anyone before I graduate.

They have said that for my master's degree...

...and my undergraduate degree...

...and my high school.

Any girl's joke-flirty comments on my facebook page or a picture of me hugging a friend FREAK my parents out.

Did I tell you my parents are very traditional?

I'm a twenty five years old responsible adult.

And they made me say that. Saying that made me sound so juvenile.  

• Like 1

How about "I don't want to sound racist, but... "

It doesn't matter WHAT you say after that, it sounds racist:

"I don't want to sound racist, but I really like kittens"

See?

It doesn't happen anymore, but I got this all the time as a kid:

"You don't sound black."

"You one of the whitest black kids I ever met."

My internal reaction: tumblr_n973l2VANG1rp326lo1_250.gif

• Like 5

they... made you say that? :o

The word "that" exactly :)

Actually, I always have to tell them-- "Dad, Mom, I'm 25! I'm an adult now. The way you are being overprotective of me is sweet, but also a bit unhealthy."

Which kind of reminds me of every bratty teenagers I have ever heard. 

"Don't tell me how to live my life. I'm--like 13 now!" 

So I feel uncomfortable saying it, but it needs to be said.

I now feel the need to find your FB so I can fake-flirt with you

I'll get a call at 7 am in a morning asking about it... again. :(

"You don't sound black."

My internal reaction: tumblr_n973l2VANG1rp326lo1_250.gif

For a person with mixed sub-race growing up in all different places.

"What are you?"

• Like 1

Anytime I complete a hard workout then shortly thereafter eat something delicious like ice cream or cookies:

"That totally negates your workout".

No. Thank-you hamster-like person who only does mindless exercise on a treadmill or elliptical machine to burn calories, but you are wrong.

If I only exercised to burn calories, then eating more calories would negate it. If I go run for an hour so that I can be good at running for an hour, and I burn 600 calories, then I go and eat a 600 calorie treat at Cold Stone, my body is still better off in terms of training to run than it was before. If I do 100 burpees, then go eat a pack of Oreos, I will still be better at burpees than I was before the workout. In fact, even if I eat bad food, I can still improve my run times, lifting maxes, rep maxes for bodyweight exercises. That's how awesome the human body is.

• Like 4

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

I am currently a PhD student of age 25. My parents keep telling me that I should not see/ date/ look for anyone before I graduate.

I had a college professor who said that if you went into a PhD program married, you came out divorced.  But if you went in single, you came out married.

Pretty much have seen this hold true.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I had a college professor who said that if you went into a PhD program married, you came out divorced.  But if you went in single, you came out married.

Pretty much have seen this hold true.

I think that depends on where you are in life.  My mother went in married and came out married.  She was in her late 40s when she went in.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Anytime I complete a hard workout then shortly thereafter eat something delicious like ice cream or cookies:

No. Thank-you hamster-like person who only does mindless exercise on a treadmill or elliptical machine to burn calories, but you are wrong.

If I only exercised to burn calories, then eating more calories would negate it. If I go run for an hour so that I can be good at running for an hour, and I burn 600 calories, then I go and eat a 600 calorie treat at Cold Stone, my body is still better off in terms of training to run than it was before. If I do 100 burpees, then go eat a pack of Oreos, I will still be better at burpees than I was before the workout. In fact, even if I eat bad food, I can still improve my run times, lifting maxes, rep maxes for bodyweight exercises. That's how awesome the human body is.

I agree with you to a certain extent- as long as you eat stuff like Sundaesand oreos in moderation or every once in a while and not demolish a full out banana split, package of oreos or jar of nutella (guilty :( ) on a nightly basis - it's all about what you want to accomplish, but you can also out eat any exercise regimen easily and gain weight/fat making it more difficult for you to achieve certain fitness goals. 

My favorite quote at the gym to this day has been after a spin class, I walked by a woman who was earlier complaining about not seeing a change in her body as she said 'woo, that was a good workout, that means I can eat whatever I want today'. I thought she was joking because of her earlier comment and giggled...and it wasn't a joke, so I got a dirty look. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

"Don't tell me how to live my life. I'm--like 13 now!"

Daughter used to tell me "I'm 16, I think I know what I'm talking about".

Happily, she's realized since how stupid that sounds.

Urgh, I said that to my parents, probably at some point. Didn't realize how good I had it until I finally moved out. Then. SHAZAM! Something in my brain clicked and said, "Wow. You were quite a sh#*head at times." my parents readily say I was a great kid; but still, just remembering lines like that, and knowing what I know now? Like the opposite of SLC Punk, "The man I am now, would beat the crap out of the kid I was then." :)

-Purple_Panda

Urgh, I said that to my parents, probably at some point. Didn't realize how good I had it until I finally moved out. Then. SHAZAM! Something in my brain clicked and said, "Wow. You were quite a sh#*head at times." my parents readily say I was a great kid; but still, just remembering lines like that, and knowing what I know now? Like the opposite of SLC Punk, "The man I am now, would beat the crap out of the kid I was then." :)

It's amazing how much your parents learn as you grow up...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Sometimes after a 80km ride after burning 2500+ calories I will goto 7-11 and buy 4 apple fritters. I'm not trying to loose weight anymore, I went for that 80km ride because I enjoy it... I'm eating these 4 donuts because consuming 2500+ calories in healthy food is pretty hard!

We did not negate our workouts, we enjoyed our life doing things we wanted to do, without wasting away.

• Like 3

Currently lost in Fitness.

The reason that I haven't yet started weight training is that, when I mentioned it to them some time ago, my family answered, "you don't want to get bulky, do you?". I feel as though starting weight training would have to be a secret I keep from them.

• Like 2

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.â€

The reason that I haven't yet started weight training is that, when I mentioned it to them some time ago, my family answered, "you don't want to get bulky, do you?". I feel as though starting weight training would have to be a secret I keep from them.

Keep it quiet until they ask what you've been doing to look so much healthier  :pirate:

• Like 2

That time I did 1,998 pull ups

"Take care of your meat wagon!" - Joe Rogan

Keep it quiet until they ask what you've been doing to look so much healthier  :pirate:

I was thinking do that until someone moves, then picked up the fridge and walk out...

• Like 5

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I thought "bulky" was what you get from NOT exercising?

• Like 3

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

My DH pulls the "Don't use heavy weights, you're going to get bulky," dialogue any time I mention being happy/not happy with the day's weightlifting. After several arguments regarding the role of testosterone in muscle increases and the merits of lifting heavy vs light-weights-more-reps, I've taken to simply smiling and shaking my head when he tries to bring it up, and promising that I'll switch my routine to his recommended one when I can out-bench him (which will never happen; he's in incredible shape).

Now it just annoys him to consider the possibility of that happening. ^_^

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

"You don't sound black."

My internal reaction: tumblr_n973l2VANG1rp326lo1_250.gif

Life! Lol I commented on this here before. I use to HATE being told I sound white, not because it directly bothered me but because of the perception that if you're black you HAVE to sound uneducated.

I also hate "you're really ::insert positive adjective:: for a black guy"

• Like 2

Life! Lol I commented on this here before. I use to HATE being told I sound white, not because it directly bothered me but because of the perception that if you're black you HAVE to sound uneducated.

I also hate "you're really ::insert positive adjective:: for a black guy"

I never understood people being like "You're really ____ for a _____", insert whatever the flark you want:

Strong/girl, smart/girl, educated/any ethnicity, polite/guy, etc etc etc.

Like, seriously? Too different of a human for a normal human trait? Yea, go sit in a corner dude.

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Developing Roots