Forums are back in action! ×

Book Club Book Discussion: Ready Player One!

CalvinHobbes

I read it about two months ago. I won't reread it (I had borrowed it from the library and there are a lot of others on my list before it), but I really enjoyed it.

cool.

i haven't finished yet, but what was your impression when he moved into the apartment and secluded himself from the world entirely?

I felt a bit of an odd relation with that moment, because there are times when I want nothing better than to ignore the world as a whole. Luckily the extrovert in me is a bit stronger than the introvert.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

How did you insert that spoiler like that?!

Spoiler (up through where thirster has read):

That part made me feel uncomfortable almost because I feel that is how some of our society is turning. I am far too much of an extrovert to do that completely but one night recently I ditched my friends in order to stay in and read. After reading/relaxing I was in the NF chat and I kept thinking about that part in the book--was I overvaluing an online community and a fictional world I had created for myself in the books?

Nah, I just needed some "me" time after a long week. I'll finish my feelings on this when you finish the rest of the book. 

How did you insert that spoiler like that?!

The special bbcoded spolier tag (3rd button) works if you're in the "more reply options" screen rather than the normal reply screen.  I won't be reading this time, just got into Supple Leapard.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

@calvinhobbes

Yeah, definatley agree, it made me a bit uncomfortable as well, and it actually took me a couple of days to get past the transition. I've actually seen that happen to a friend of mine. Luckily he's coming out of it, and he wasn't to the insane level of it, but he still shut out most of the world for a while. I actually had a summer where, I don't know why in retrospect, but I just sort of checked out of reality for about 3 months. I went through the physical routines, but mentally i just wasn't there. I don't know how my then girlfriend put up with me. That's a part of my life i wish to never repeat.

Finished the book last night.

Does anyone else feel like the book reads a bit like a movie script, rather than a story?  I greatly enjoyed the book, but it sorta of reads differntly than a regular book to me.

Finished the book last night.

Does anyone else feel like the book reads a bit like a movie script, rather than a story?  I greatly enjoyed the book, but it sorta of reads differntly than a regular book to me.

YES. Good way to put it. I didn't dislike it though...wouldn't want to read 100 books written that way but for one it was good. 

Another thing that stood out (yeah, it seems like i'm nitpicking, but i did enjoy the book) is that, everything seemed a bit too easy for Wade. The author failed to generate much drama in the parts of the book where one would normally expect it.

For example, early on when his home is blown up, he runs off, but doesn't really show any emotion for the fact taht his neighbor, the only one he cared for, was killed because of his selfishness.

Another eample is just how easily he infiltrated IOI and made his escape. The ONLY drama was the woman pointing out he was bleeding.

Just bought it today - I'm only a couple chapters in, but I'm enjoying it so far...

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then, the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle." - Phillips Brooks

Could we put page #'s or chapters by future spoiler alerts?  I want to be able to know when I can read them and not have the book spoiled.

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Could we put page #'s or chapters by future spoiler alerts? I want to be able to know when I can read them and not have the book spoiled.

I used an e-reader that just goes by percentages and plus I don't have the book anymore to look up where I'm commenting from :-/ sorry, I wish I could think of a way to do it.

I used an e-reader that just goes by percentages and plus I don't have the book anymore to look up where I'm commenting from :-/ sorry, I wish I could think of a way to do it.

Does the e-reader show chapters? (I don't have one, have no idea how they work)  It was just a thought.  Finished the book on the weekend, so I can read all the "spoilers" now  :)

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Does the e-reader show chapters? (I don't have one, have no idea how they work)  It was just a thought.  Finished the book on the weekend, so I can read all the "spoilers" now  :)

Yes, but the book is long gone because I returned it. Also, it's difficult on an e-reader to flip through the book to figure out what chapter you were on when you're mentioning a point in the book.

just finished this last night. Little slow in the beginning, but after I got to Level Two, I couldn't put it down. I really liked the story, and being from Central Ohio/Columbus Area it was a little more of a grin as I read it.

Heh, nice.

I read it in a single sitting on a Sunday.  I was a complete slob.  Started it at like 8 or 9AM and just couldn't put it down. Loved all the nods and odes to 80s/video game culture, though i couldn't help but think at times some scenes read like a script for a movie where the action was kind of glazed over...which has me cautiously optimistic for the eventual movie.

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I read it in a single sitting on a Sunday.  I was a complete slob.  Started it at like 8 or 9AM and just couldn't put it down. Loved all the nods and odes to 80s/video game culture, though i couldn't help but think at times some scenes read like a script for a movie where the action was kind of glazed over...which has me cautiously optimistic for the eventual movie.

yeah i had the same feeling about the scriptiness of it at parts.

Archived