Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie in the UK.....Help needed.

Morning all,

Where do i start...

Im 6ft4 and weigh 21.7 stone (303lbs). I am fed up with being overweight and really struggle.

I am addicted to sugar and find it really hard to quit.  This site has been a great source of information and guidance and so ive decided to take the plunge and go fully Nerd Fitness!

My aim is to lose 4 stone.(56lbs)  I don't know if I should set a time frame but it would be great to achieve it by the end of the year?

Now the good news...  I recently completed the London Marathon, I admit it was a very slow time but just completing it has given me the belief that I can actually do anything I set my mind to.  There is a lot more determination inside me than i thought.

I am planning my food and exercise for the next week and hope to use this as an template going forward.

My exercise is football(soccer), badminton, Tai Chi and running 5KM runs.  I am starting most of these this week or next.  I am contemplating doing the weight training program from this site 2-3 times a week as well.

My main problem is the food intake.

I am an emotional eater.  When i am down/tired/upset/happy/grumpy/bored etc... I eat.  Its a habit I have followed for 20 odd years and I need to break it.

I think that's about it but if anyone can offer advice or wants to ask me something please go ahead....

Thanks

Congrats on completing the London Marathon, Demo! And welcome to the forums!

As far as I'm concerned, what matters is not that your marathon time was "a very slow time", what matters is that you made the choice to do it and you followed through. That took a good deal of willpower and you should be proud of that accomplishment! Make small changes over time to help with your eating habits and training and I'm sure you'll be ready to kick butt and run another marathon with a better time, or participate in some other even that inspires you to be your best. Especially now that you've got NF behind you.

If you have control over the pantry, get rid of those things that you just can't stop eating.  Find things to substitute.  If it's sweets that are killing you, some nice fruit is a good choice.  If you need something crunchy, try carrots and sugar snap peas.  Come up with a chant, a mantra, or a "theme song" that will help you along.  Look that candy bar in the face and say "I have enough determination to finish a marathon, no dumb candy bar is going to own me."  Or maybe replay in your mind how you'll feel after you eat it.  I play the Rocky theme in my head and have a little training montage going when I'm having a bad time.  If you need some help don't be afraid to ask.  I won't say "good luck", because anyone who can finish a marathon doesn't need luck - they have plenty of determination.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the tips, my main problem is that I struggle in shops.  When i stop for fuel or take my kids somewhere its so tempting to get something.  For example, yesterday i went through the day work and then home and it was great.  No bad stuff all day.  This morning I felt great, i felt as though I wasn't bloated or tired. (Even though i didn't feel bloated to begin with).  But on the way to work, i stopped for fuel and out of habit bought a sandwich, drink etc...  I really struggle with this.  Now i feel tired and my mind is craving sugar.  I know its not easy to quit the bad stuff and you can only take one day at a time but how to change your lifetime habits?  I took a photo of myself that i didn't like and put it on my phone so if I feel weak I can look at the photo and it gives me determination to change.

Hiya, 

I'm a UK newbie as well!

I used to eat large amounts of chocolate without really noticing and I found that cutting down was the way for me.

At one point in past few years, I would have sat down and eaten an entire 200g bar of chocolate in one sitting, no sweat.

So I banned myself from buying any chocolate product over 100g.

Then it was banning myself from buying over the 'standard' size bar of about 70g.

Now I don't buy chocolate other than Freddos or those kids sized Dairy Milks, or I find someone to split a standard size bar with me.

I've recently added a new trick to help maintain this - when I'm queuing in the shop next to the sweets, I tell myself 'if you REALLY want a chocolate bar, you're allowed to have one in an hour.'

And more often than not, an hour later, I'm removed from the temptation and I don't!

Both those tricks have worked for me, and the latter really helps with me self-control, because my brain doesn't respond well to 'you can NEVER have this EVER!' but is on board with 'yes that would be nice, but not right now, ok?'

Thanks for the tips, my main problem is that I struggle in shops.  When i stop for fuel or take my kids somewhere its so tempting to get something.  For example, yesterday i went through the day work and then home and it was great.  No bad stuff all day.  This morning I felt great, i felt as though I wasn't bloated or tired. (Even though i didn't feel bloated to begin with).  But on the way to work, i stopped for fuel and out of habit bought a sandwich, drink etc...  I really struggle with this.  Now i feel tired and my mind is craving sugar.  I know its not easy to quit the bad stuff and you can only take one day at a time but how to change your lifetime habits?  I took a photo of myself that i didn't like and put it on my phone so if I feel weak I can look at the photo and it gives me determination to change.

How about using "pay at pump" stations, then you don't have to go into the shop?

Challenges 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17

Instagram photos of daily life

Battle Log

"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become" ~ Carl Jung

How about using "pay at pump" stations, then you don't have to go into the shop?

I thought about that but they seemed to have phased them out in my area....

I'm going to go shopping in Costco this weekend to buy my food stuffs in advance and avoid any snacks.  Hopefully this will help.

I am moving in June/July though so maybe that will make it easier.  Thanks for the tips.

I feel a lot better this morning.  I played football last night and stayed healthy so feeling good.  My breakfast in a couple of bananas and I feel ready for the day.  

Archived