Forums are back in action! ×

The New NF Website Layout

Guest asdf

ew.

kill it- kill it with fire.

the article is like the least important thing on there- which- well is the whole point of the site. 

Once you click on the article- it's not so bad though.

~grabs flamethrower~ Allow me ma'am. ~winks~ Hopefully I don't light my beard again. Don't need another Christmas incident.

so what do you guys think? yay or nay!?! yes or no!?! ja or nein!?!

personally I like it. seems a bit more professional, easier layout to navigate and just looks cleaner. 

No :( Definitely no!. I agree the colour scheme and actuall button/nav bar design work. But I don't think it is easier to navigate at all. Pepole come for the articles, and for them to have to scroll a full page before even seeing the title of one is not good. It will scare people away. Especially newcomers who have been told about this site. They'll show up and BAM! STEVE TO THE FACE! (which I understand the ladies might not mind, but the rest of us....)

Hate the banner. Everything else seems ok, and I like the way the popular posts are presented. But the banner is seriously a mood-killer.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Woah, the font is HUGE on Firefox v 21.  Like... huge.  Hard to read huge.  The sort of huge one makes compensation jokes about.

If you go straight to nerdfitness.com/blog, it's not too bad.  But on the actual home page, I have to page down at least twice to see content.  Whack.  I wouldn't have done that on my junior high Geocities page.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

the colors are broken.  In ie8 the site is unreadable.  In Firefox it's just Black on white.

the previous one was better.

This, in my IE (whatev version) the article is grey text on grey background.  Sorry Staci, not a fan.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

From a marketing to new users perspective it is great... Get's what he is trying to do across drags them in to hopefully sign up.  I like the flatter design, I think it looks really good.  But as a long time reader... it seems a bit too commercial and cold to me.  I like NF because it is a nice group of people that want to help each other while putting an emphasis on facts.  It just doesn't feel as "happy lego filled awesome" as it used to.  But just pointing to nerdfitness.com/blog instead of the home page fixes that a bit.  I am all in favor of drawing in new readers and growing the site though!

Oh and the twitter feed is gone now... that always amused me whenever I went to the site, gonna miss seeing Steve's random posts at the top corner.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

From a marketing to new users perspective it is great... Get's what he is trying to do across drags them in to hopefully sign up.  I like the flatter design, I think it looks really good.  But as a long time reader... it seems a bit too commercial and cold to me.  I like NF because it is a nice group of people that want to help each other while putting an emphasis on facts.  It just doesn't feel as "happy lego filled awesome" as it used to.  

This.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

From a marketing to new users perspective it is great... Get's what he is trying to do across drags them in to hopefully sign up.  I like the flatter design, I think it looks really good.  But as a long time reader... it seems a bit too commercial and cold to me.  I like NF because it is a nice group of people that want to help each other while putting an emphasis on facts.  It just doesn't feel as "happy lego filled awesome" as it used to.  But just pointing to nerdfitness.com/blog instead of the home page fixes that a bit.  I am all in favor of drawing in new readers and growing the site though!

Oh and the twitter feed is gone now... that always amused me whenever I went to the site, gonna miss seeing Steve's random posts at the top corner.

Agreed. From a marketing perspective and from a business perspective, it is a wonderful site. However, when I saw the banner I felt a little "cold" like it was a website selling a product. At first I though eww, then I clicked on an article and I see that the site is really nicely setup for reading those. I also see what you said, about needing more legos :D 

As for the banner size, it really isn't that bad. On Chrome one needs to simply hit "page down" once or scroll their mouse scroll wheel 6 times to see the articles listed. The large banner then scroll down to see more bit is actually VERY common now in web design, and appears to poll well with people who see it. My only suggestion is to have a bit at the bottom that says "Scroll down for the content" or something catchy like that, to let people know that the site is not just a landing page, but actually has content down bellow.

Too much below the fold.

I honestly can't find merit in a website design that wastes all the space it's given. 

As a journalist, love this. Though I'd argue that there's just too much above and below the fold. Sometimes you hit a point where you stop designing a page and start decorating a page. It feels like I'm looking at five different pages, just on the home page alone.

I'm truly of the belief that simple is always better and this kind of stresses me out just looking at it. There's nothing wrong with some well-utilized white (or black, in this case) space.

As a journalist, love this. Though I'd argue that there's just too much above and below the fold. Sometimes you hit a point where you stop designing a page and start decorating a page. It feels like I'm looking at five different pages, just on the home page alone.

I'm truly of the belief that simple is always better and this kind of stresses me out just looking at it. There's nothing wrong with some well-utilized white (or black, in this case) space.

I agree; too much above and below and, unfortunately, in the wrong places. There's so much great content that's been made here; it should be up at the top! Easy-access, minimal scrolling. Sales pitch needs to be smaller and the good stuff needs to be showcased sooner!

Also, and this is just me, but if I had seen the weight-loss thing when I immediately clicked on the site, I would have gotten out of here fast. (And then I never would have found this community, which would be such a shame!) I realize that weight-loss is probably the goal for most new NF'ers, but it 100% would have sent an underweight shrimp like me scurrying off.

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Also, and this is just me, but if I had seen the weight-loss thing when I immediately clicked on the site, I would have gotten out of here fast. (And then I never would have found this community, which would be such a shame!) I realize that weight-loss is probably the goal for most new NF'ers, but it 100% would have sent an underweight shrimp like me scurrying off.

That's true, too.  As an obese nerdly woman, if I'd seen this was a weight-loss-not-fitness site when I started reading, I wouldn't have stayed around. Which sucks, but hopefully the no-fitness-all-skinnier crowd Steve's looking to attract won't change the forums too much.

The whole internet is full of You're Too Fat sites; as someone who's too fat, I really didn't need to find another. :grey:

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Honestly, I feel like the first design was more... charismatic. Unique. The new look seems more monochrome -- professional, but not as memorable and interesting.

I do like the way the "Rebel Starter Kit" and the "Classic Posts" sections look, though!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I agree with everyone about the banner/commercial-ness side of things. The size is a bit 'in yo face'. I liked the Nerd influenced stuff before, the comic book fonts, the cozy feel. Now it feels real un-nerdy, kind of clinical, and I don't feel it represents us as community (but, I'm not sure it's supposed to). As long as Steve doesn't go all "Mark's Daily Apple" and put a big changing banner of photos of himself looking ripped on the top of every page...

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."