Forums are back in action! ×

My first chin up

I've been training for chin ups for a while now using resistance bands. I thought I was making slow progress toward a bodyweight chin up... until today, when I stopped off impulsively at a public outdoor gym near my parents' house.

They had a couple of chin up bars so I picked one that was at a good height for me (I'm 5'3) and decided to just give it a go and see how far up I could get. To my surprise, I can comfortably lift my chin over the bar!

Turns out the issue is not that I can't lift myself over the other bars but rather that they are up so high for me I have to jump up and swing around for a bit before I do the pull up and that was holding be back.

It felt like a dream, honestly. And I had to do like four more (resting in between each one) asking my mother about my form just to convince myself it was real. Reactions in my family have ranged from "that's nice dear" to "lol as if you can only do one" (from a sister who refuses to even attempt a bodyweight plank, but anyway) so I thought I would post it here where people know how good it feels to achieve a fitness goal!

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Oh my god, that's so awesome!! This is one of my goals (or will be for the next challenge).

In fact, I want to do more than my boyfriend, who can do three :D 

We have this weird... machine thing in my gym. You gotta climb to steps up like a ladder and when you stand on the third one, it sinks down towards the ground. While it does that, you have to hold on to the bar above and then it will take some kilos off your weight and thereby help you with it.

Sounds like you don't need anything like that though! Great, great job! 

Should pin your picture on my motivation wall :D

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

That is awesome!! Where do you usually do them? Can you put a small step under your bar. I did that at home. I figured out I had the same issue. It was so high up for me to reach, by the time I was reaching it, my body was at such an odd angle it made the pull ups hard. I just put a very small box under it (it is only 3 inches) but then I don't have to jump or reach to first get the bar. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thanks everyone :) y'all are lovely. Apfelstrudi sounds like an assisted pullup machine, I have always wanted to play around with one.

That is awesome!! Where do you usually do them? Can you put a small step under your bar. I did that at home. I figured out I had the same issue. It was so high up for me to reach, by the time I was reaching it, my body was at such an odd angle it made the pull ups hard. I just put a very small box under it (it is only 3 inches) but then I don't have to jump or reach to first get the bar. 

I do them in the gym in my apartment complex... I am glad to know I am not the only person with this issue! That's a good idea. There is a small seat in the gym I could drag under the bars if no one is using it :) 

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.