Forums are back in action! ×

NF Secret Santa?

Guest Dirty Deads

I would TOTALLY be down for this

I LOVE making stuff... and sending peoples gifts!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm awful at gift-giving, but I'd be down to give this a shot, particularly once some specifics are sorted out.  I mean, I'd be OK with sending out my current address, but I'm in a generic college room and will move out of that seven days after Christmas, permanently.  So I'm definitely a special case here.

Maybe categories - when you sign up, you nominate whether you want to have your address sent out or not and your secret Santa adjusts accordingly?

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

when you sign up, you nominate whether you want to have your address sent out or not and your secret Santa adjusts accordingly?

That sounds like a great idea, maybe people should list some interests so as to give everyone else (including their secret santa) an idea as to what would be the best gift to give.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

There's a website called Elfster.com where you can set up gift exchanges. We do that with the online admin team I work for.

While I'd generally be interested in an NF gift exchange, there are tons of things to be considered.

The biggest one is - with so many members, you can never be sure that all those that sign up for it really do send their gift in the end, and it'd be really awful for a person to not receive a gift. 

While elfster makes organizing things easier, someone would still have to keep track of everything so it doesn't turn into a huge chaos.

There's also the "giving out your address to strangers on the internet" thing.

Just figured I'd put that here for everyone to consider! 

If it comes down to a  NF secret santa, I'll definitely think about joining though, I've asked that same question a while ago too :)

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Guest Dirty Deads

There's a website called Elfster.com where you can set up gift exchanges. We do that with the online admin team I work for.

While I'd generally be interested in an NF gift exchange, there are tons of things to be considered.

The biggest one is - with so many members, you can never be sure that all those that sign up for it really do send their gift in the end, and it'd be really awful for a person to not receive a gift. 

While elfster makes organizing things easier, someone would still have to keep track of everything so it doesn't turn into a huge chaos.

There's also the "giving out your address to strangers on the internet" thing.

Just figured I'd put that here for everyone to consider! 

If it comes down to a  NF secret santa, I'll definitely think about joining though, I've asked that same question a while ago too :)

Yeah, I've been thinking about some of those issues. I love the Elfster idea. I think we're going to have a signup cutoff date and possibly a max number of participants. If someone doesn't want to give out thier address, they can find an alternate address or they have the option of not participating since this is for people who WANT to have a gift exchange.

Any ideas on a cut off date, spending limit etc.?

Is the Elfster available globally? Or just for US residents? That'd be something to consider...

I'd be interested in joining! I love getting presents, but if the international thing is a problem even an e-mail/poem/piece of writing by e-mail could be fun too. 

It is available globally. I'm from Germany, we've got members from the States, UK and Australia as well, none have a problem. :) Of course shipping costs vary, but there's nothing elfster can do about that! 

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

I might be interested once I hear the details...

One suggestion for anyone who's iffy about giving out their address: see if your place of work would allow you to give their address instead of your own, so the package would be shipped to work instead of home. It's not perfect, but it's a little more anonymous than giving out your home address.

Another thing to consider is to ask your local post office about the possibility of having a package addressed to them, to be held for you to pick up. There's a service like this in Canada, where the item is shipped to a post office outlet and held there for pickup by the recipient, and I'm fairly certain that the recipient's address is not on the shipping label. I'm not 100% sure how you get this option instead of having it come to your house, though...

Dare mighty things

There is also ''amazon list'' who protect your adress. i participate in a secret santa on google plus last year and you only have to build a wishlist on amazon, and share it after. The adress is hidden but you can still see the list and it can give you the exact shipping cost aniway so may be that could be an option

Mathieu *Gamer Unleashed*,
Level 4 Hobit scout
STR 8|DEX 5|STA 7|CON 6|WIS 7|CHA 4

Guest Dirty Deads

OK, when would we want the cutoff date to be for sign ups? I'm thinking 2-3 weeks once we decide on everything so that we have time to buy.

I like the amazon idea, so let's do that and Elfster. We add our names to Elfster as our amazon registered email address and enter your NF name under the details(so we know who's who).

I think we should sign up by thanksgiving... that gives us time for shipping

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm down, although I'm a very poor nerd ._.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I made an embroidered pillow for a buddy on here recently :)

I LOVE making things!!!

Spoiler

Guest Dirty Deads

I signed up, but I'm not really sure how it all works!

On the 29th we'll draw names. Whomever draws you can anonymously ask you for information if you haven't put any on your profile. Anyone who doesn't want to give thier address out should shoot for an Amazon wishlist to link or find an alternate  mailing address.