Forums are back in action! ×

My first big boy katana!

Very nice!  We have a couple from Okinawa that I know are not as nice -- tourist-trap window dressing.  Yours is the real deal.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Awesome! Are you playing with it or just putting it up, going over every 5-10 minutes and pulling it down to admire and putting it back up?

I cleaned it, oiled it and then put it up. I have been classically trained to do everything but worship the katana. There is a special way you do everything with a katana and everything you do with a katana takes time and is ritualized. It is an unconscious reminder that the thing is super sharp and super dangerous and proper care and handling traditionally equaled life and death. I won't take it down again until I clean it again and re-oil it. I still have months until I will be practicing cutting. It feels almost exactly like my iaito except the handle wrapping is newer.

To be honest, I am a little scared of the thing…...

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

*drools*

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

That looks awesome!  I notice it doesn't have a HI so it will be silent and deadly.  Is that 29 inches? It will really make you stretch your noto!

Yup, 29 inches. My Iaito is 28 inches and it just feels short even though that is supposed to be the correct length for being 5'10". I love the weight of blade without the groove too, but it came that way so I just got lucky on that.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

Yup, 29 inches. My Iaito is 28 inches and it just feels short even though that is supposed to be the correct length for being 5'10". I love the weight of blade without the groove too, but it came that way so I just got lucky on that.

That's awesome.  I have found that the longer blades, at least over 29 are balanced so much better than the shorter blades. I am also sure that is has to do with the better blade quality.  I have used my sons blade which is a CAS Hanwei tiger katana at 29 3/4 inches and it is so much better balanced than anything I have used even thought it is close to two inches longer than my Iaito. 

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido