Forums are back in action! ×

What are you happy that video games taught you?

One thing I learned from playing RPGs and Sandbox games is that being patient, listening to what people say and paying attention to small details can lead to great rewards. (looking at you, Chocobo breeding sidequest of Final Fantasy 7!)

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I learned from playing Skyrim that I'm incredibly loyal, motivated by helping others, and have my own set of morals. Once when I was explaining the game while playing it, a friend told me to kill someone in a tavern in Riften and I was like, "you can't just go around murdering people!" Morality win. I don't think I'd do well with Grand Theft Auto though...

I also learned that I need to get the full story because the first time I played, I never hung out much in Windhelm, but I joined the Stormcloak Rebellion. The next time I played (new character), I saw some of the racism and genocide happening to the dark elves and I was shocked and like, upset that I helped the Stormcloaks last time. So don't listen to hearsay, get the full story!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I remember playing Quest for Glory 2, and there was one section I always had to make Mum do - the bit where there's the travelling entertainer in the plaza.  You need to take his bet with the tightrope to improve your climbing skills, but once you actually won the bet, you had to practice as much as possible until he stopped paying you, because he'd never come back after that.

I never liked playing until he refused, because I just felt so mean taking advantage of the poor guy :(

Also: Paragon in Mass Effect, Good endings in Bioshock ... definitely someone who feels a bit too much for the NPCs.  I tried playing GTA IV once, but gave the controller back to someone else because I could tell everyone watching was getting bored by me obeying all the road rules and such :P

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

1. Steam Marines:Always leave one person on overwatch;

2. Bioshock: No matter how beneficial it would be, I cannot drain little girls of ADAM;

3. Ruse: A well executed feint can throw even the most intelligent people for a loop;

4. Neverwinter Nights ZS servers: The more patient you are, the better things usually turn out;

5.Half Life: "The wrong man in the right place can make ALL the difference;

6.Morrowind: Levitation pants make things so much easier;

7.Assassin's Creed: No matter how many guys you kill, if you sit on a bench with two other people on it you become invisible; Haycarts make excellent crash pads.

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

Super Mario Bros: I learned that going first isn't very important, in fact it is sometimes more advantageous to learn from others' successes and failures.

Final Fantasy X (my first RPG with debuffs and magic): Strength isn't the only thing needed to find success. If you can't beat something with what you have been doing it may not be that you aren't strong enough yet, but that a different strategy is needed.

FFX: Just because you are super confused about life or who you are doesn't mean you can't help others.

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

Morrowind taught me the value of planning ahead. When I have a list of tasks to accomplish, each in a different place, I use the same planning skills to figure out the most efficient route/path to getting it all done. It's also taught me that it may not be safer to veer off the known path, but it's almost always worth it.

Dare mighty things

Various MMOs have taught me that people with money always come out ahead.

Diablo II has taught me that the best/fastest way to acquire items is to steal them from people.

D&D Online has taught me that the exploiters always come out ahead while people who play fairly get shafted (I was never able to get in on an exploit in that game yet, though.)

The sad part is that all of this seems to be true in real life. I mean look at the ruling elite :\

The Sims: Talk to / force conversations upon anyone enough times and they will probably be your friend. If you can read the signs which appear on the top of their heads and your friendship status on the lower right of the screen you can probably escalate this into a romantic relationship. (I can't.) Also find something you want to do with your life, otherwise it just becomes a long-spanning collection of activities that keep death away from your door.

Fallout 2: You can go through life without much Charisma; Intelligence and Agility are much more important. You probably will never get married though.

Diablo 2: Never be satisfied. There is always someone stronger than you, and there is always something better to be acquired, even if your entire existence seems like one big deja vu happening over and over and over again.

King of Fighters '98: Women are visually appealing, attractive creatures that make me feel weird inside.

Shadow of the Colossus: Being alone can look cool.