Forums are back in action! ×

What Gets You Off the Couch?

When you find yourself staring at some screen --whether T.V., phone, computer, or tablet -- what drives you to get up and force yourself to workout? Often, I'll find myself on the 5th page of my Facebook newsfeed reading statuses I don't really care about, or learning obscure history like the probable causes behind the 1836 Creek War.

Whether it's the Rocky theme song, or some inspiring story you once saw on Good Morning America...share whatever gets you off your butt and working out!

A year ago I stop watching TV and my son broke the sofa so there was never a comfortable place to sit down in the living room. I liked the "media fast" so much, never went back. Once in a while there will be something people are talking about that I need to be filled in about, but most stuff doesn't impact my life. A lot happier without all the TV time. 

That is an excellent story Liberator.

Myself, ... I can't rightly say.  Lately physical training is the only thing that really engages me.  It's a bit of a m!n)f*ck, actually, as my self image tends much more towards scrawny head-dweller.  That said, I'm enjoy the slow and steady development of myself as the action adventure hero of my own life.  Re-finding balance will happen - I am somewhat confident.

• Like 1

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Knowing that there are demons of being a fat weakling my whole life that need to get crushed under a heavy fucking barbell... that's why I train.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

knowing that if I average 7500 steps every day for the rest of the month I will have walked three million steps in the last 18 months

knowing that my first million steps took me three years....

knowing that it's entirely possible to get three million steps NEXT YEAR...

knowing that I am close to lifting 20k pounds in a workout...

knowing that I make my kids proud...

knowing that I make the rebellion proud...

knowing that someone out there is watching me even if I don't know it and I could be inspiring them to greatness that they never thought they could acheive...

knowing that if I DON'T work out I have to come here (or to the groups I run on facebook) and tell them I didn't work out...

knowing that if I don't work out I am at risk for gaining back the 100 #'s I have lost...

knowing that if I don't work out I won't lose the 100#'s I have left to go...

knowing that if I *DO* go work out I can eat moar!!!

these are the thigns that motivate me

• Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

For me it's mostly short-term anger and stubborn pride that get me up. I don't want to be the same me that I am now by this time next year. I like me sure, but I'm none too pleased to look in the mirror or down at my belly. Additionally, I still feel like an awkward new guy at my gym, and that ticks me off, too. I want to be in there enough that I know what I'm doing and can get in and out without feeling like an idiot at all.

Depends. Sometimes it's looking out of the window, seeing the rare good weather and wanting to take advantage of it. Sometimes I look down, see the distinctly squashy exterior of my abdominal area and know that every workout I do is helping reduce it. Sometimes I get bored. Sometimes I need a different distraction.

...and sometimes it's just knowing I'll feel better afterwards.

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

It really doesn't take any motivation. I work out at the same time every day, 7 days a week, right after we put kiddo to bed. It is what I do during that time for a couple years now. It would be totally weird to do something else.

If every workout requires you to find some motivation, chances are you have already failed.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

The last week? My workout. I'm not allowing myself any other activities until the workout is done! Now, I'm getting excited for them. I might be sick, not sure...

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't do anything on the couch until I've done my workout for the day. It's a tad bit easy for me though, because the gym I go to is the wellness center of the campus I work at. Another thing that I have been doing during my couch time is to actually work on my handstands while the tv is running.

• Like 1

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

For me it's generally the clock. I know I want to go for a run on monday while the sun is still out. Which means at this time of the year I need to get moving by 15:00. And generally I start around that time, even though I think about it for most of the day but just can't get myself to do so. 

If every workout requires you to find some motivation, chances are you have already failed.

I don't agree with this. Just because you're not in an easy habit of exercising doesn't mean failure. Giving up is failure, keep trying and you haven't failed.

• Like 1

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical