Forums are back in action! ×

Regenerating, Timelord Style

Okay. Here goes nothing.

I'm a twenty-year-old college student who collects diagnoses the way some people collect postage stamps. The illnesses, meds, and doctors really complicate my life, and I'm tired of it. I know that, if I could just be a little less sedentary and a little more fit, a lot of my problems, if not all of them, could be resolved. I could give all kinds of reasons for why I've been so sedentary for my entire life, but I'm tired of using diagnoses as excuses, and everyone else is tired of hearing it.

The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I'm severely underweight, and I struggle with even the simplest forms of exercise. Gyms stress me out for multiple reasons, and I can't really go anywhere because I have neither a car nor a driver's license (I know that's kinda pathetic) and because the public transportation system where I live is simply awful. I need to work on all areas of my physical fitness, but I need to be able to do so at or within walking distance of my house. I'd really appreciate some help figuring out a workout plan or something. I'm completely lost.

Of course, I haven't forgotten about diet. I eat very poorly, for two reasons: First, I can't cook, and junk food is the most readily available when I'm responsible for my own meals. Second, it's difficult to find nutritious foods I can eat because I'm very sensitive to certain flavors and textures, so, when I physically can't tolerate the meal the rest of the family is eating, I put something far less nutritious in the microwave or toaster (because I don't know how to make "real" food). My poor diet is obviously not helping my health issues, so I could use some suggestions for very simple but nutritious recipes, or at least places to find such recipes.

Sorry for the infodump. I've always struggled with conciseness. I hope I managed to explain everything clearly. I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have for me.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi SarahBeth and welcome! im fairly new here as well trying to get fit and healthy (on the other end of the scale tho) so i dont have all that much advice on the fitness department :/

let me tell you however, anyone can cook! and if you make a little effort youll be able to cook your favourite foods every day :) by far the easiest thing to start with is simple stir fry recipes, you just need a pan and an assortment of meat (if you do eat meat) and vegetables you like! im no expert chef but if you tell me what sort of food you like maybe i can help you figure out how to turn it into something tasty and easy to cook :)

Hi SarahBeth and welcome! im fairly new here as well trying to get fit and healthy (on the other end of the scale tho) so i dont have all that much advice on the fitness department :/

let me tell you however, anyone can cook! and if you make a little effort youll be able to cook your favourite foods every day :) by far the easiest thing to start with is simple stir fry recipes, you just need a pan and an assortment of meat (if you do eat meat) and vegetables you like! im no expert chef but if you tell me what sort of food you like maybe i can help you figure out how to turn it into something tasty and easy to cook :)

Thanks, Mothball! Yes, I do eat meat, but I avoid fish when possible. Unfortunately, I don't actively like vegetables (I'm actually a five-year-old disguised as a twenty-year-old because I was sent on a sacred mission to make adulthood fun), but I'll eat most vegetables if they happen to be on my plate. I love almost all fruits, and, being of German and Italian descent, I'm a huge fan of breads and cheeses. The part that gets really tricky is seasonings: I'm extremely sensitive to most of the things that can be considered spices or seasonings, so, in order for a food to be palatable to me, it often has to be nearly flavorless to everyone else. Even black pepper is problematic. And I'm not the most coordinated person, so I usually try to minimize the amount of time I spend around sharp objects and heat sources. That makes cooking rather difficult. I'm completely at a loss, so, if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

SarahBeth

im german too, i guess bread is just hardwired into our genes ;) do you still live at home then? maybe next time your mom (or dad or whoever does the cooking) starts preparing dinner or something you could just join her and ask her for a few instructions on how to deal with the stove and such (btw i love my open fire gas stove but the microwave terrifies me! it might explode! D8 )

aside from that, if youre not too confident around knives you could look into purchasing one of these things http://www.amazon.de/Genius-Nicer-Dicer-Plus-teilig/dp/B0088N3WWO/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1387144350&sr=1-3 (sorry german amazon :tongue: ) at least for fruits and vegetables theyre pretty nice and get everything chopped up quickly (and if dinner sucks, just make a fruit salad in like 2 minutes lol  add some plain yoghurt and honey or something and enjoy everyones envy ;) )

as for the flavoring id simply experiment, if you dont like pepper you could try... thyme (i think thats what its called in english) or replace salt with just a little bit of soy sauce.

you could also look into herbs like rosemary and basilicum, get a piece of chicken and cut it up into bite sized pieces and flavor each piece with something else to see what you might like? just a random idea tho it would maybe broaden your horizon a little in the seasoning department, theres more than salt and pepper after all :D

I know oen thing that saved me on mornings when I wanted to eat healthy, but didn't have the time, was eggs, and then I started eating them at other times too. Eggs (especially scarmbled) are simple, and can be done in the microwave, although it takes some practice to keep them from being too dry versus too watery.

1 egg

A dash of milk

Preffered seasonings

Put it all in a bowl

Whisk with a Fork

Cook for two minutes in the microwave

Healthy and quick. Although nuking it might make it less nutritious than other forms, it's still healthier than most microwave meals. And if you grease the bowl (like with pam or something) beforehand, it'll slip out and can be tossed onto a sandwich, and be almost perfect sized.

Boiled eggs?

Boil water with eggs.

Put on lid.

Turn off burner.

Wait ten minutes.

Pour out warm water, rinse with cold water.

Times may differ based on desired firmness.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)