Forums are back in action! ×

Things that drive you absolutely bananas.

What drives me "bananas" is how 99% of the fitness community strongly caters to pickup artists. 

Curiosity aroused. How so?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

grrr. Was rolling out my tight front shoulder on a lacrosse ball against a door jamb. had to explain to a passing co-worker that my cleans that morning had left me with a little tightness that was not being helped by sitting at my desk. He looked at me, said "you lift weights?" and squeezed my arm lightly. Yes, I have biceps. It's nothing special. Guess what? Girls have muscles on their arms! Get over it!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Curiosity aroused. How so?

This place is a rare exception. I've noticed that common places like bodybuilding.com, 4chan /fit/ and others have a large contingent of their audience basically just lifting to try to pick up women, and it's overtly for one night stand/hookup kind of stuff. They post screens of their "game" from FB/text/dating sites, and often post photos of their latest conquests with things like "I tapped that you jelly?"

There's also a lot of trash talk about how to be more "alpha" pretty much urging people towards irresponsible hedonism and treating others like trash. It's been my overwhelming experience that because those sites are large and popular, they tend to export that culture to smaller fitness sites.

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

This place is a rare exception. I've noticed that common places like bodybuilding.com, 4chan /fit/ and others have a large contingent of their audience basically just lifting to try to pick up women, and it's overtly for one night stand/hookup kind of stuff. They post screens of their "game" from FB/text/dating sites, and often post photos of their latest conquests with things like "I tapped that you jelly?"

There's also a lot of trash talk about how to be more "alpha" pretty much urging people towards irresponsible hedonism and treating others like trash. It's been my overwhelming experience that because those sites are large and popular, they tend to export that culture to smaller fitness sites.

Heh, it would take all of my less-than-prodigious amounts of self-control to avoid ridiculing such behavior.

Amusing.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

What drives me "bananas" is how 99% of the fitness community strongly caters to pickup artists. 

I think that's a gross exaggeration. That would mean that when there is an average of 20 people at my gym with each visit, not including the regulars, and I go to the gym 5 days a week, I would only encounter one decent human being. Everyone else I encounter would be this guy:

363_is-the-pua-dead-flash.jpg

I can not bring myself to believe that. In fact, I  have a tendency to believe that a lot of people at the gym tend to forget that they are going to the gym to be better at real life outside the gym, and are merely going to the gym as an end in itself. That's why they get so psyched about their workouts and usually have no smart programming agenda when they go anyway. Just "Chest and Bis". I doubt these guys are going to, or came from the gym:

mystery-style-pua.jpg

I used to believe the same thing about the MMA community. I love MMA; practicing, competing, teaching, even watching, but I wasn't cool with the culture that surrounds it and the majority of the Tapout shirt-wearing UFC fans who love Joe Rogan. I haven't been involved in MMA for a while now, but I still encounter this type of person a lot, this Bro. Loud and obnoxious people talking about all the "bitches" they "banged" at a Texas Roadhouse. Kids out of high school talking about how tough they are and how they beat some guy's ass so hard. Even what used to be nerdy stuff like "Game of Thrones" is not spared; you now have Bros who are really enthusiastic about it. "YEAAH! GAME OF THRONES! KILLING AND FUCKING! BOOBS!"

I believe that it's more of the culture in general rather than just the fitness community. Pop-culture represents what society as a whole allows to be famous, and we are a generation of people who worship Lil Wayne talking about how awesome he is (while managing to say the word "nigga'" 87 times in the process) and guys "supermanning" women. Regarding the forums, the anonymous nature of the internet and the mechanical distance it creates between human beings breed a lot of internet tough guys and allows us to be terrible people without having to deal with the real life consequences. And perhaps being a Bro is the current norm after all, and we, as people who identify ourselves as Nerds, are of Nietzche's "priestly / slave morality", placing value in meekness and asceticism and resenting the aggressiveness and vigor of the Bros' "knightly-aristocratic / master morality".

no-more-booze.jpg

This American Bro: A Portrait of the Worst Guy Ever

• Like 1

People who think it's cool to rev their engine really loudly while speeding down my street at 1 in the morning. It happens pretty frequently actually. I'm starting to think it's the same guy that's doing it every other night.

I just want to know what is going through this person's mind that makes them think that it's necessary to be as loud as possible and wake up an entire street of sleeping people.

You're not cool. You're an asshole.

Jess: Level 5 Human Adventurer

STR:12 | DEX:14 | STA:10 | CON:14 | WIS:10 | CHA:4 |

[Level 1]-[Level 2]-[Level 3]-[Level 4]-[Level 5]

I'm a hero.

One that has always been a pet peeve of mine as a lifelong pedestrian.

Drivers who think it's funny to honk their horns at pedestrians for no god damn reason.

I'm not sure if it is something about me that does it but I get idiots (who have usually been drinking from the sounds of them) who love to honk their horn and yell things out their window as they drive past at night. They do it just as they are coming up behind you to try and get the biggest "scare" factor.

It is one of the rare few occasions where I would be more than willing to take the life of another human being.

And just for the record this is with me on the footpath, not walking on the road.

• Like 3

People who think it's cool to rev their engine really loudly while speeding down my street at 1 in the morning. It happens pretty frequently actually. I'm starting to think it's the same guy that's doing it every other night.

I just want to know what is going through this person's mind that makes them think that it's necessary to be as loud as possible and wake up an entire street of sleeping people.

You're not cool. You're an asshole.

One that has always been a pet peeve of mine as a lifelong pedestrian.

Drivers who think it's funny to honk their horns at pedestrians for no god damn reason.

I'm not sure if it is something about me that does it but I get idiots (who have usually been drinking from the sounds of them) who love to honk their horn and yell things out their window as they drive past at night. They do it just as they are coming up behind you to try and get the biggest "scare" factor.

It is one of the rare few occasions where I would be more than willing to take the life of another human being.

And just for the record this is with me on the footpath, not walking on the road.

People who feel the need to stop and have conversations in the busiest areas they can think of. 

Then have the nerve to get mad when someone bumps into them.  :livid:

I'm not prone to misanthropy because humans are so great that I just can't contain my overflowing love for them. Frankly most of them would be better off sterilized so there would be more room for unbroken forest.

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift

This just in: "99%" is an exaggeration.

Have a good day.

Well, I am sorry if that was all that you got out of it, old sport. I personally found the image of a gym almost exclusively populated by pickup artists rather humorous. Some creepy guy in a fuzzy hat and assless chaps asks you for a spot, and proceeds to mercilessly hit on you out of habit.

Stay classy.

• Like 1

Not sure if this one has been brought up before or not but:

FUCKING INFOMERCIALS!!

It's not that they exist... even though when I see them show up they annoy the hell out of me.

It's not that the products they advertise are garbage... I mean they are and they use all sorts of shady weasel words and misdirection to sell them.

It's that they insist on using the "Actor tries to do a simple task and fails at it" cliche.

Fuck you Nutribullet. It does not require a Masters from MIT to use a god damn blender!!

• Like 2

Not sure if this one has been brought up before or not but:

FUCKING INFOMERCIALS!!

It's not that they exist... even though when I see them show up they annoy the hell out of me.

It's not that the products they advertise are garbage... I mean they are and they use all sorts of shady weasel words and misdirection to sell them.

It's that they insist on using the "Actor tries to do a simple task and fails at it" cliche.

Fuck you Nutribullet. It does not require a Masters from MIT to use a god damn blender!!

That's why I wait till these guys do a review...

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Printers.

My kingdom for a printer that actually prints the stinkin thing I asked it to print. Just print. You have one job.

I'm tired of having to print test pages, download 23 updates, install a new OS, and sacrifice a small animal just to get one document printed.

That's why I wait till these guys do a review...

I need that Rotato.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Part of my job consists of making changes to files that others mark-up. There's a pretty much universally understood method of marking what pages got changed, so I made the changes then submitted it to be double-checked. I just got a job back, in which they used this method, but apparently didn't use it to mark changes. So I just got a good 1000 pages back, and now have to search through each and every one to see if there's possibly a change on each sheet.

I would go all Hulk Smash.... but I'm too tired...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)