Forums are back in action! ×

What nerdy/crazy/weird stuff do you do?

We'll also need a brewer/distiller, potter, tanner/leatherworker, numerous hunters, and all manner of skills that haven't been in vogue for about 300 years (coopers, cobblers, millers, thatchers, etc).  Maybe a geologist, unless we're just going to cannibalize old cars for all our metal.  OTOH, all the easy-to-find ore has been mined, so we might be SOL there.

Brewer/distiller sounds like a job for me ;P I made Mango Wine in chemistry class once..

• Like 1

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

I need to pick up some survival skills. Although in a commune situation I could contribute to childcare and cooking and cleaning. I also have a replica Klingon Bat'leth, which I'm not strong enough to wield myself but I'm sure someone could make use of it ;)

The zombie apocalypse would go down very differently in the UK to many bigger countries. We just don't have that much wilderness. 28 Days Later was a nice (wrong word) depiction.

I'm thinking of looking into getting a generator and getting the old rain butt behind my garage cleaned out. I have a great back yard for growing food, so I should really crack on with making that happen because I do sometimes have little freak outs about how under-prepared I am for needing to survive the zombie apocalypse (or any other disaster).

Battle Log - Record from the Front Lines

http://hblyne.com

i'm constantly thinking of the impending zombie Apocalypse. me and a few of my friends have worked out several contingency plans for such an event. we even created a very rough rpg game using ourselves as characters to play out certain scenarios.

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Did anybody else see the bogus news story over the weekend about an impending asteroid impact and wonder what they would do if it were true?  I propose we make an all-purpose contingency plan so that the Rebellion can dominate the post-apocalyptic wasteland and set ourselves up as the new world order as we rebuild civilization.

Step 1: where is our base of operations?  I propose somewhere earthquake/volcano free, warm (so that the nuclear winter doesn't freeze us out), wet (as much as you can predict post-apocalyptic climate patterns), and far enough inland to stay dry but close enough to the ocean or a major river to take advantage of productive fisheries.  Something in the foothills of the southern Appalachians would be appropriate, but the natives are heavily armed.  Other suggestions?

• Like 5

Something in the foothills of the southern Appalachians would be appropriate, but the natives are heavily armed. 

Hey now.  Some people here are the natives.  And heavily armed is a good thing!  

I'd recommend St Louis out of purely selfish reasons, as I live there already.  Other than that, I think northern Arizona/New Mexico would be our best bet.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

The motivation to lose weight in the apocalypse camp is going to be huge.

Pros to being overweight in the apocalypse:

- Excess fat stores to survive longer.

Cons:

- The big guys/girls always get caught by the zombies first.

- Hard to scale a fence to escape.

- In the event of CHUD attack, everyone knows CHUDs go for the bigger folk first.

- When food runs out.....someone is getting eaten.

Cons are pretty big. End of the World might be the best weight loss plan ever introduced.

• Like 4

Hey now.  Some people here are the natives.  And heavily armed is a good thing!  

I'd recommend St Louis out of purely selfish reasons, as I live there already.  Other than that, I think northern Arizona/New Mexico would be our best bet.  

I'm not ruling out northern Georgia, but we need to make sure we can establish local superiority in the immediate aftermath.  Heavily populated areas and areas with a strong local militia-type presence make that harder.

The southwest might be too dry.  Less productive from a hunter/gatherer perspective, and we probably wouldn't be able to get our farms up and running without irrigation.

And to clarify, this is not purely a zombie plan.  It also applies to meteor impacts, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting, WWIII, and anything else that might cause the widespread collapse of civilization as we know it.

• Like 1

I'm not ruling out northern Georgia, but we need to make sure we can establish local superiority in the immediate aftermath.  Heavily populated areas and areas with a strong local militia-type presence make that harder.

The southwest might be too dry.  Less productive from a hunter/gatherer perspective, and we probably wouldn't be able to get our farms up and running without irrigation.

And to clarify, this is not purely a zombie plan.  It also applies to meteor impacts, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting, WWIII, and anything else that might cause the widespread collapse of civilization as we know it.

i vote for north georgia.... :D

i think we may need to have several choices and or outposts given that we don't know where a major outbreak/patient 0 will be from. what will remain after most of the planet is laid to waste after WWIII, or where the asteroid will hit and what areas of the world(Continental US or otherwise) will be affected.  

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Step 1: where is our base of operations?  I propose somewhere earthquake/volcano free, warm (so that the nuclear winter doesn't freeze us out), wet (as much as you can predict post-apocalyptic climate patterns), and far enough inland to stay dry but close enough to the ocean or a major river to take advantage of productive fisheries.  Something in the foothills of the southern Appalachians would be appropriate, but the natives are heavily armed.  Other suggestions?

Australia, did you guys see "the day after tomorrow" anything South of the equator. That's us! I'll leave your tickets at the door.

• Like 3

Wait! What............?

Australia, did you guys see "the day after tomorrow" anything South of the equator. That's us! I'll leave your tickets at the door.

It might take awhile to get used to seeing the toilet flush in the opposite direction I'm used to, but I think I could adapt.  With my luck I'd be captured by apocalypse slave traders and forced into kangaroo gladiator fights for my meals.

• Like 4

It might take awhile to get used to seeing the toilet flush in the opposite direction I'm used to, but I think I could adapt.  With my luck I'd be captured by apocalypse slave traders and forced into kangaroo gladiator fights for my meals.

Like there's going to be functioning toilets...

• Like 2

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Like there's going to be functioning toilets...

Not impossible at all, depending on where you live.  My town doesn't have a municipal sewer system, so all the homes are already on septic systems.  At least some of those are gravity-based systems, and should work fine without power.  It's trivial to fill the toilet tank manually or rig a reservoir.  Whether that's a good use of time and resources is a different question, I wouldn't rule out functioning toilets offhand.  However, it might be smarter to compost solid waste and put it to good use.

• Like 1

Actually, that's a pretty valuable source of methane gas. You definitely don't want to be flushing THAT away.

http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/methane_generator.html

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously