Forums are back in action! ×

Redwall Series

I bought a copy of Redwall for my daughter because the description of the series (mentioned here by Steve K) seemed like it would be up her street. Now, I assumed Redwall would be the first in the series but apparently it isn't - in fact, it's like the 9th or something! So what I wanted to know was is it one of those series you really need to read in order or is it the sort of thing you can just dip into anywhere? 

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hi 18ck.  It's not a series that you need to read in order.  Each story is self-contained.  They all take place in the same world at different time periods, so some past books will be occasionally referenced, but they will be referenced as pieces of history from that world.  Usually the time periods are spread far enough apart that characters from other books only make passing appearances and are never major characters.  The only exceptions to this are "Mattimeo" (Read Redwall before this one) and "The Legend of Luke" (read Mossflower before this one).

And Redwall is the first-published book in the Redwall series.  It is not the first chronologically, but that's not terribly important.  It's a good book to start with.  It's where I started off with the series.  It sets up the central location of the world (Redwall itself) very well.  Most of the other stories will touch upon that central location in some way or another.

Great book series though. Hope your daughter enjoys it!

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Hi 18ck. It's not a series that you need to read in order. Each story is self-contained. They all take place in the same world at different time periods, so some past books will be occasionally referenced, but they will be referenced as pieces of history from that world. Usually the time periods are spread far enough apart that characters from other books only make passing appearances and are never major characters. The only exceptions to this are "Mattimeo" (Read Redwall before this one) and "The Legend of Luke" (read Mossflower before this one).

And Redwall is the first-published book in the Redwall series. It is not the first chronologically, but that's not terribly important. It's a good book to start with. It's where I started off with the series. It sets up the central location of the world (Redwall itself) very well. Most of the other stories will touch upon that central location in some way or another.

Great book series though. Hope your daughter enjoys it!

Thanks very much. I'm glad I didn't have a present-buying fail after all!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Such a great series! I devoured those books as a kid. Heck, if they kept publishing more, I'd read them now!

Brian Jacques died in 2011 from a heart attack. :(

I have three books of his autographed, he was my favorite author as a child and young teen. :wub:

• Like 1

Moralitea, Level 2 Flind Assassin
{STR 3|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4WIS 2|CHA 2}

Incepto Ne Desistam.

Previous Challenges: 1,

Agreed, you don't have to go in chronological order. Redwall was the first book written in the series, I would suggest following up with moss flower before diverging from the written order. It gives you a good look at Mathias and Martin and how red wall was founded. Marl fox is a bit darker that most of the other books in the series but still generally youth friendly. :) I hope that helps.

Redwall --> Mossflower --> Mattimeo

The only three that need to be read -- great storytelling, great worldbuilding, just epic books, really.  Damn, now I need to go reread them! EULALIAAAAA!!

LEVEL 0 - Bosmer Ranger

STR: 0 -- DEX: 0 -- STA: 0 -- CON: 0 -- WIS: 0 -- CHA: 0

Level 1 Challenge Thread

“Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.†- Al Swearengen

I Write Stuff

Aww yeah, those three are great.  I think that "Martin the Warrior" may be my favorite, but those three are next after it.  And they contribute more to the overall world of Redwall than Martin does.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue