Forums are back in action! ×

Weirdest thing you ever ate

Jay87

I don't remember the name of it, but I had this thing once that a Vietnamese roommate of mine gave me to try.  He couldn't translate all of the ingredients..the only things I did hear were raw pork, garlic, and pig skin.   It was wrapped in a banana leaf, one of those things that "cooks" in its own juices.  So yes, what I thought were onions were just pig skin..and it was TASTY!  They expected me to get sick hearing what it was..and I just asked if they had a beer to go with it and helped myself to more..lol

And for my fellow Americans: I've tried Blutwurst, awesome flavor, weird texture, and I'd totally have it again.

• Like 1

Kangeroo, alligator, crodille, buffalo, snails, crickets, dog food, dog biscuit, deer (though not really that weird where I live), cat food (accidently thought it was the leftovers...don't know how my cat likes it), grass, dirt, and sirancha in chocolate pudding

A lot of it was when I was kid

Wait..buffalo is weird? Shit...I've been eating the stuff for about 20 years now...

Not terribly weird, but I quite like Buffalo.  Very tasty.  

Other than that, the weirdest thing is probably whole milk fresh from the cow.  Like, we milked the cow into a glass and drank it on the spot.  Surprisingly, it was actually kinda cold too.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Baby food out of a jar, that stuff is weird and tastes pretty offensive.

Oh my god, right?  We picked up some jar of 'steak' babyfood, and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted.  You could smell it from across the room.  It was like dogfood, only cheap, pureed dog food that dogs won't eat.  No, I did not make Oliver eat it.

• Like 2

I've tasted pretty much anything you can pull out of the Ocean

I particularly recall a super-tasty flying fish sandwich I had at Foxy's in BVI ... imagine an extra light fishwich; as well as a grouper reuben in Maryland = a seriously kicked-up tuna melt. I don't care too much for eels, but then, who does?

My aunt lives in Vermont. We went to a Game Supper there ... no, we didn't eat dinner & play Scrabble. I had a great Black Bear Stew, some Moose Bourguignon, and Venison Tacos. Quail Pot Pie? Sure!!!

Bugs? I've been known to snack on crickets, grasshoppers, and ants right out of the garden [as dared by D'Kid] Of course, you gotta throw down the Mescal worm, when it's your turn

I've never eaten bugs (on purpose), but I ate a raw crawfish because I was dared. I just pulled it apart and sucked the meaty parts out. Didnt taste too bad

Miles ran consecutively: 13.1/26.2

50%
50%

Pushups done consecutively: 16/20

80%
80%

muktuk (whale blubber; tastes like sushi!), Spanish blood pudding, beef brainstem soup (good broth, meat... not so much), beef heart kebabs, tripe in many forms, duck egg custard (soooo yummy!), head cheese sandwiches... 

BTW RandMart: love your sig.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Oh yeah! I've eaten some weird shit. I used to be really squeamish about food so I make myself eat lots of things that I think I don't like.... Yes, I know. I'm odd. Live with it. :P

Kangaroo, ostrich, zebra, snails, squid, octopus, whale blubber, tripe, liver, black pudding (not weird AT ALL if you're British), haggis (ditto on the not weird bit, but only if you're Scottish), boar, goat, rabbit, veal, untold varieties of fish, shellfish and fish roe.

But the worst, and I mean the WORST was the time I went for sushi with some friends in Tucson. I didn't want to seem like a country bumpkin so I didn't tell anyone that I'd never eaten sushi before, and what the Hell! I can do this! So I said nothing and went along with it.

By about halfway through the meal I was getting on pretty well so I decided to give the raw prawn a go.... Now bear in mind that I'd only just managed to eat cooked prawns without pulling faces at this point.

I knew as soon as I put it in my mouth that I'd made a monumental error of judgment, but I didn't want to be rude and spit it out so I tried to swallow it instead. Seriously, that thing would not go down! I'd swallow, it would get halfway down, then BOAK! Back up it would come. I was sitting there at the table with a napkin in front of my face desperately trying not to let anyone see that I was puking this thing back up every time I tried to swallow it! I had turned green, was starting to sweat and had tears running down my face by the time I FINALLY managed to swallow the little bugger.

It took 5 attempts.

I've never eaten sushi again.

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

But the worst, and I mean the WORST was the time I went for sushi with some friends in Tucson. I didn't want to seem like a country bumpkin so I didn't tell anyone that I'd never eaten sushi before, and what the Hell! I can do this! So I said nothing and went along with it.

By about halfway through the meal I was getting on pretty well so I decided to give the raw prawn a go.... Now bear in mind that I'd only just managed to eat cooked prawns without pulling faces at this point.

I knew as soon as I put it in my mouth that I'd made a monumental error of judgment, but I didn't want to be rude and spit it out so I tried to swallow it instead. Seriously, that thing would not go down! I'd swallow, it would get halfway down, then BOAK! Back up it would come. I was sitting there at the table with a napkin in front of my face desperately trying not to let anyone see that I was puking this thing back up every time I tried to swallow it! I had turned green, was starting to sweat and had tears running down my face by the time I FINALLY managed to swallow the little bugger.

It took 5 attempts.

That sounds surprisingly like the first time I ate sushi!  

And I thought of another one.   Probably not too weird, really, but I actually kinda like Calamari.  Which for me is weird because I usually hate seafood.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That sounds surprisingly like the first time I ate sushi!  

And I thought of another one.   Probably not too weird, really, but I actually kinda like Calamari.  Which for me is weird because I usually hate seafood.  

Maybe you only like seafood when it's smarter than humans? 

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Maybe you only like seafood when it's smarter than humans? 

They're intelligent, but I highly doubt they're smarter than humans.  For one thing, they'd have to be sentient, which they're not.  

That said, I suppose smarter animals might taste better than dumb ones.  Could be worth testing......

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Oh yeah! I've eaten some weird shit. I used to be really squeamish about food so I make myself eat lots of things that I think I don't like.... Yes, I know. I'm odd. Live with it. :tongue:

Kangaroo, ostrich, zebra, snails, squid, octopus, whale blubber, tripe, liver, black pudding (not weird AT ALL if you're British), haggis (ditto on the not weird bit, but only if you're Scottish), boar, goat, rabbit, veal, untold varieties of fish, shellfish and fish roe.

It took 5 attempts.

Sounds almost like my first experience with sushi..I think yours might be a tad better.  Let's just say that the raw ginger on the plate looked a lot like meat to me..so I ate it, all of it, at the SAME TIME..because I thought it was sushi (honestly, never seen raw ginger that looked like that before).

Lesson = Learned

• Like 2

Live mealworms (in a science class), beef tongue (good), chicken feet (meh), pig's ear (too chewy), omasum (meh), headcheese (never ever ever ever again).

I also used to lick the cattle salt blocks (blue is okay, brown is not), and eat handfuls of their winter feed (beet pulp is delicious) when I was a kid.  I also learned that if you chew wheat kernels long enough without swallowing it, you can make your own gum!

• Like 2

Other than eating weeds from the yard which I tentatively identified as okay,,,

I had a bowl of noodles in a restaurant... since lungs aren't human-food in this country, I'd say it was stomach.  I didn't like it, but did eat around it.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Sounds almost like my first experience with sushi..I think yours might be a tad better.  Let's just say that the raw ginger on the plate looked a lot like meat to me..so I ate it, all of it, at the SAME TIME..because I thought it was sushi (honestly, never seen raw ginger that looked like that before).

Lesson = Learned

This reminds me of when I was at a Japanese restaurant and a few tables down some guy's friends convinced him the wasabi was guacamole. Poor bastard.

Let's see, I've had chicken hearts, frog legs, buffalo, a camel burger, haggis pizza, some kind of liver, alligator, and supposedly there were crickets in the tagine I had in the Sahara, but it was too dark to see. So I'm not sure if I ate them and didn't notice, magically didn't get one on my plate, or if somebody just said it to fuck with the kid who asked about it and promptly freaked the fuck out. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi