Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

Those are some deadly shirts, fellas.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Or maybe I give my chest hair a chance to shine now...

Let those magnificent locks go forth and frolic upon your chest, young man!

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

It's been a couple months and I've let my beard grow out.  Figure I should update my pic for you all.

post-9629-0-07122500-1427832299_thumb.jp

I have the problem that my beard is really really curly.  Anyone have an idea on how I can get it to behave a bit more so that it isn't flying out everywhere? 

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

It's been a couple months and I've let my beard grow out.  Figure I should update my pic for you all.

attachicon.gifIMG_1144.JPG

I have the problem that my beard is really really curly.  Anyone have an idea on how I can get it to behave a bit more so that it isn't flying out everywhere? 

Both of Sjard's videos ought to help you control your wild man.  I don't quite have the same unruly facial kevlar as you, but I massage beard balm into my post-shower beard and then add the same pomade I use in my hair to keep everything secure and dapper.  We're ambassadors for facial hair.  We have an obligation to make it look good!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_1144.JPG

Yeah, mine flies out to the sides and the biggest thing that helps me is daily brushing with that boar's hair brush. Taking the stiff side through everything is helping traing in to go downward and undo all the tanlges the curly beard gets, then just running over it real quick with the softer side smooths it out and makes it look more uniform.

edit: from the viedo, he says he doesn't know why beards are curly, but it's the way it is. The reason any pubic hair (all over your body really, everything but on your head) is curly is because it helps trap more air between the strands. Air is a great insulator (why down sleeping bags are so good, same reason, more trapped air between fibers), so curly hair keeps you warmer. The hair on your head evoled not to be straight so that it could grow longer and keep the ears and neck warm.

edit2: Watcing the video still. Spit my coffee out on "beards aren't face pubes, pubes are penis beards". Hilarious.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I currently wash 3x a week and condition every day, put beard oil (of my own design) on my beard after I shower, and then comb it.  I'll have to digest the videos when I'm not at work and can watch videos. 

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

That sir, is exactly the beard shape I'm going for. Do you trim down the sides so they're not as long as the chin area?

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That sir, is exactly the beard shape I'm going for. Do you trim down the sides so they're not as long as the chin area?

My beard shaping is still a work in progress..I do major overhauls maybe once a month?  Other than that just basic trimming (for example I hate my mustache going past the top of my lip).

See if I can explain how I do most of my shaping.

Starting about top of my jaw below my ear, draw an imaginary line straight out (perpendicular to the side burns).  From this area and up I use my trimmer on the longest setting, I don't believe the numbers on it match up to most trimmers so I have no idea what the translation is..I guess you'd have to decide how long you want the trimmed portions (note, below that line I use scissors only).  So I shave from there to the top of the side burn all one length.

Shorten the trimmer up and start maybe a half inch above that line..again shave all one length..and keep working my way up to the top like that.

I thin the very top of the cheek line down (just the first half inch) with a little subtle trimming..think of it as a fast fade from regular length to nothing..I doubt it's too noticeable but to me it makes the cheek line seem softer.

The rest is all done by hand and I am still learning, I keep the trimming of my chin to an absolute minimum..I only target the stray hairs for the most part..anything that after a clean/balm/brush refuses to get in line..it goes.

This is my best explanation for now..I could try and use ms paint to draw you a picture..but for the most part it's all just one big experiment.  If you're headed to CNF this fall I'm sure I could give you a better explanation there if you can wait that long.  I know awhile back I talked about my barber trimming it..I didn't like his interpretation of how to achieve this shape so it's honestly just been a learning process..still is.

My newest problem is figuring out how to combat frizz..I've never had a beard this long before and apparently it gets very frizzy when it is humid out..which basically means every day for the last 2 fucking weeks. :(

No CNF for me, too damn expensive. But yeah, I was hoping it wasn't scissors only. That's kinda the route I'm thinking about going now that it's too long for my longest trimmer setting, and I'm sworried about screwing it up.

500 / 330 / 625

My newest problem is figuring out how to combat frizz..I've never had a beard this long before and apparently it gets very frizzy when it is humid out..which basically means every day for the last 2 fucking weeks. :(

Go to the store and buy some ladies conditioner for frizz, I can look at what brand my wife buys for me later. It helped control mine which looks very fro-ish on humid days. Wife also said it made it softer and she didn't mind getting close  :nevreness:

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Go to the store and buy some ladies conditioner for frizz, I can look at what brand my wife buys for me later. It helped control mine which looks very fro-ish on humid days. Wife also said it made it softer and she didn't mind getting close  :nevreness:

My problem with that is, I'm trying to go the all natural route with my hygiene products..just have my deodorant and toothpaste to go (both should switch this week).   So I need to find an all natural solution for it.

Already found out that my beard wax is no match for the frizz..was really hoping that's all it took, lol

I'll just leave this here...

That was bloody amazing.  I've never been quite so overcome with beard inspiration than I am at this very moment.

Yeah, it was blocked at work, I have it in an open tab on my phone to get a membership to later.

500 / 330 / 625