Forums are back in action! ×

Hi guys! I've been lurking in the shadows, watching the Rebellion for some time. Now I finally want to put what I've read into practice. The only problem is: I'm a college student with very limited funds and not the most flexible schedule in the world.

I have tried some of the things NF articles have covered in the past, but I have a problem sticking to it. I'm one of those people who won't stick with something if I don't find it fun. I'm not one of those people who finds exercise particularly fun or exciting. It is extremely difficult for me to find any form of exercise fun. So what are your suggestions for finding ways to make exercise fun? Anything and everything is welcome.

Just as a note: I walk almost everyday, but that's pretty much it. I want something that will help me build/retain muscle that is still entertaining.

Thanks in advance.

Valkyrie

Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 0 || DEX 0 || STA 0 || CON 0 || WIS 0 || CHA 0

I feel you, I don't find working out especially fun either.  What I like are the results and what those results help me achieve. 

My best advice is to find a sport or competition you like.  I don't know what your school is like, but when I went to school we had intermural leagues (volleyball, dodgeball, fencing, etc).  Maybe you could find a club or pickup game on campus and join in.  If you like that and get really into it, it may encourage you to branch into other types of exercise to stay competitive in the sport. 

As for funds, again I don't know what your college situation is, but at my school the workout facilities were available to all students for no additional charge.  In some cases, such as the rock wall, one needed to get certified to use it, but that was just a matter of time, not money. 

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

I feel you, I don't find working out especially fun either.  What I like are the results and what those results help me achieve. 

My best advice is to find a sport or competition you like.  I don't know what your school is like, but when I went to school we had intermural leagues (volleyball, dodgeball, fencing, etc).  Maybe you could find a club or pickup game on campus and join in.  If you like that and get really into it, it may encourage you to branch into other types of exercise to stay competitive in the sport. 

As for funds, again I don't know what your college situation is, but at my school the workout facilities were available to all students for no additional charge.  In some cases, such as the rock wall, one needed to get certified to use it, but that was just a matter of time, not money. 

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't found any clubs I like yet, but we'll see. As for the workout facilities, unfortunately, too many of those are filled with show-offs which really intimidates me. On top of that, some of them tend to hog the machines or give you judging looks. It's the worst.

I'll do my best to find something I like though! Thanks!

Valkyrie

Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 0 || DEX 0 || STA 0 || CON 0 || WIS 0 || CHA 0

Hi guys!

Just as a note: I walk almost everyday, but that's pretty much it. I want something that will help me build/retain muscle that is still entertaining.

Welcome to NF! I have some bad news, if you want to build muscle you are going to have to do strength training. Club sports will be great exercise, but it is no replacement for strength training in terms of muscle building or retention. Strength training can be boring, but there are different flavors, so maybe you can find one that works for you. Bodyweight, powerlifitng, oly lifting, CrossFit, strongman, etc. However, if you do find a sport you like, it may encourage you to do strength training to get better at that sport!

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't found any clubs I like yet, but we'll see. As for the workout facilities, unfortunately, too many of those are filled with show-offs which really intimidates me. On top of that, some of them tend to hog the machines or give you judging looks. It's the worst.

Gymtimidation is real, and affects quite a few folks. Perhaps you could set small goals for yourself. Like just do one exercise in the gym and leave. Then do two. Or you could get on the treadmill and watch everyone for awhile to learn about the gym environment. In the end most people in the gym are there to work on themselves, and aren't judging you. And if they are judging you, ef them. Just do your thing and ignore them! (I realize that is easier said than done).

I wish you the best of luck finding your path!

• Like 1

My tip would be getting momentum. I don't know your exact situation but i'll give you an example of how i build my momentum:

Talked to a cute girlfriend who i knew had been going to the gym and told her i also needed to do something to get in shape. She invited me to join her. (now i didnt expect that * cough*) A great motivation to start and also a great motivation to keep coming back, win win, getting better in shape and spending time with a cute girl. To a point they got to know me at the gym and i enjoyed going there, even if the cute girl wasn't there. After that i got in a real good shape and got hooked on working out.

That was the momentum i needed, at the moment i do a lot of very inexpensive workouts at home and still go to the same gym, allthough i have to drive for 20 minutes to get there and pass 3 other gyms.

What i'm trying to say is find a way to build momentum. Start and keep going, after a while it will grow on you. Believe, people that haven't seen me in quite a while can't believe what they see and hear when i say i work out 3-4 times a week.

... a little odd in the head ...

I agree on the building momentum part! When I first started exercising, I only could do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout for only one cycle because I got bored afterwards. As I slowly gained momentum however, I found myself getting frustrated when I missed a workout and having to stop myself from doing extra reps (I don't want to add any until I can actually do push-ups. everything else I can do fine.) 

Also, think of what your goals are! If it's just strength, than you are probably best off by lifting heavy and then you will need to find a way to fall in love with that. However, everyone who has tried it tells me that happened instantly. Personally, though, strength training is a mean to an end. :) I do yoga but my arm and upper body strength is not high enough to to the more advanced poses, so I started looking into calisthenics to help me with that. 

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

... best off by lifting heavy and then you will need to find a way to fall in love with that. However, everyone who has tried it tells me that happened instantly....

That's great! I really look forward to hitting some weights. And since i like anything i can slowly progress (just one extra rep, just a little bit heavier, just a little further) this just got me more motivated to try out!

... a little odd in the head ...