Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Easiest for me has been food.  I gave my wife and spiralizer attachment for her Kitchenaid mixer and we made zucchini "noodles" with a bolognase sauce (made with ground turkey).  Delicious AND healthy.Had leftovers the next night.  The spiralizer will definitely become a major part of our meal planning.  Since my wife is Italian she's accustomed to pasta pretty often, but now we can replace the carbs with veggies.

In fact I think I'll ask her just how she made the bolognase sauce and post the recipe.  I was busy spiralizing while she made it.

Hardest has been getting to the gym, but I made up for that with doing push ups at home and taking the stairs during my commute (see my challenge thread for details if interested).  

• Like 1

I'm often confounded by the fact that sometimes the easiest appearing exercises often turn out to be the most challenging e.g. the first time I tried planking

This time around its the Dead Hang. Sounds simple enough, just hang there. But once you start . . . 7, 8, 9 ow 15 that's it

15 seconds! and by the fourth set it's OW!!

Other than that, so far so good this challenge

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

I'm often confounded by the fact that sometimes the easiest appearing exercises often turn out to be the most challenging e.g. the first time I tried planking

This time around its the Dead Hang. Sounds simple enough, just hang there. But once you start . . . 7, 8, 9 ow 15 that's it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Hardest is just switching from  Christmas Holiday type eating to a deficit eating. Easiest- playing with kettlebells, some call it working out, I call it play.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Deaifts are much harder than squats even though they look easier, at least that's what I found.

Back in my youth I pulled a shoulder muscle trying to do a straight arm pull over with ten pounds dumb bells.

And as i told Granny Nogg, lunges are one of the torments of Hell.

And push ups, oy.

Hardest for me is always consistency. I tend toward "workout ADD" and get distracted easily.

This is my first NF challenge. Food was pretty easy, as I was not making a lot of changes. My workouts were pretty tame because I didn't want to get too sore right off and give up. Navigating these forums and getting acquainted has been a challenge for me, but a lot of fun so far.

Hardest for me is the lunges, agreed Mark. We hates them, my Precious!

Easiest, hmm. Well, so far there isn't really anything super easy. Maybe it's easier to stay connected here since I'm not behind on orders. Not having that stress is incredibly freeing.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Since we had an influx of new oldies, thought I would repost the link to the  When we were weaker

Also as (I hope encouragement).  

I started serious barbell training about 5 years ago, around the age of 50.  I go to competitions when I can, but always tell people that I'm not really competing, just participating.  Just kept going to the gym and picking up heavy stuff.

Then this happened

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

When I was at the USAPL Nationals in October, there was a gentleman in his 70's who was gradually rewriting the record book...

• Like 3

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Since we had an influx of new oldies, thought I would repost the link to the  When we were weaker

I started serious barbell training about 5 years ago, around the age of 50.  I go to competitions when I can, but always tell people that I'm not really competing, just participating.  Just kept going to the gym and picking up heavy stuff.

Then this happened

When I was at the USAPL Nationals in October, there was a gentleman in his 70's who was gradually rewriting the record book...

Congrats on the squat record-very impressive

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Since we had an influx of new oldies, thought I would repost the link to the When we were weaker

I started serious barbell training about 5 years ago, around the age of 50. I go to competitions when I can, but always tell people that I'm not really competing, just participating. Just kept going to the gym and picking up heavy stuff.

Then this happened

This is so encouraging. You're never too old to start strength training.

First, I am lost on the forums so I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

Jim, that's amazing!

I started lifting about a year ago and fell in love with it.  I just turned 60 and for the first time in my life feel strong.  I got to a 230# deadlift and deadlifting is what I really like.  My squat 125# and bench 100# are still under construction.  I would like to compete also.  I think it's the UPA my trainer is looking at and there are literally no records in the Masters 60-64 group and there should be.  I really, really want folks my age to know that you don't have to give up strength just because you are over 50.  So I may never Deadlift 400#'s but I've certainly drank the Powerlifting Koolaid.

That said for me it seems that Deload is not a good word as I literally freeze up with too many days off and recovery time is becoming very important.  I'd love to talk to some of you my age just to compare notes as at my gym I am decades older than anyone else there. 

So glad to have found NF and this group!

• Like 2

Records are vacant right now because they changed the weight classes to get Olympic status. So there is a window right now to slide in front.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Tally Sheet for 2019

Then this happened

Very cool!  Congratulations!  

And thanks for the link.

I was about 50 when I got serious with barbell training. I had a great trainer who pushed me toward competing. I was doing Olympic lifts. I wasn't lifting huge numbers, but for my age/weight class, I thought at least I wouldn't embarrass myself. Sadly, I had to tend to more important family matters and never got back to it. Then...yada yada yada -- here I am--starting over again.

I'm glad, too, that I found this group.

That said for me it seems that Deload is not a good word as I literally freeze up with too many days off and recovery time is becoming very important.  I'd love to talk to some of you my age just to compare notes as at my gym I am decades older than anyone else there. 

So glad to have found NF and this group!

Deload does not have to mean total rest.  It may mean to stop pushing quite as hard for a while.  

Tally Sheet for 2019

Very cool!  Congratulations!  

And thanks for the link.

I was about 50 when I got serious with barbell training. I had a great trainer who pushed me toward competing. I was doing Olympic lifts. I wasn't lifting huge numbers, but for my age/weight class, I thought at least I wouldn't embarrass myself. Sadly, I had to tend to more important family matters and never got back to it. Then...yada yada yada -- here I am--starting over again.

I'm glad, too, that I found this group.

You might want to follow Heather_D's challenge.  She is a masters Oly lifter who made it to nationals in 2015.  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76775-heather-d-aka-bofhgirl-returns-to-the-platform/

Tally Sheet for 2019

On Deload, I know that now but was told by younger lifters and my Chiro that I "had" to take multiple days in a row with nothing more than walking and I got as stiff as a log.  I've only been at this for a year (in Feb) so I took them literally.  I will take a much different approach next time.  I think that's why I'm grateful for this group as maybe I won't have to fall into as many holes due to age.

On Deload, I know that now but was told by younger lifters and my Chiro that I "had" to take multiple days in a row with nothing more than walking and I got as stiff as a log.  I've only been at this for a year (in Feb) so I took them literally.  I will take a much different approach next time.  I think that's why I'm grateful for this group as maybe I won't have to fall into as many holes due to age.

there is so much variation between each of us, even without age differences, that "have to's" and "musts" are almost always suboptimal for someone.  Where fitness and health are concerned, we're all walking laboratories.  We each need to figure out what works for us, what doesn't work, what makes us happy, etc.  

• Like 3

Tally Sheet for 2019

True. There simply is no "one fits all" solution.

To recognize this helped me to get over the disappointment when I unsuccessfully tried to copy the success of others by doing what they were doing. The hard but satisfying part is to find out what is good for oneself, and then sticking with it. No matter whether sports related, or related to other aspects of life.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I'm asking this here because I know there are a couple barbell guys here who're my age or older, looking for a little advice.

I realized two things:  I jumped into barbell training too quickly (seriously, doing bench presses when I can't even do a push up?  What was I thinking?) and, while weight lifting IS fun, I've no desire to do it as a sport.  It's a means to and end (better health and the ability to do OTHER things I enjoy).  So once I get myself to the point where I can handle basic body weight training (push ups and pull ups especially) I can rethink the barbell training, because it IS an efficient way to get stronger.

I think one of the reasons it took me a while to realize I was out of my league with barbell training is that I did very well early on with the squats and deadlifts, which I attribute to having very strong legs (duh).  I've been counting stairs lately during my daily commute, and I came up with the fact that I climb (just going up) 180 stairs just on my morning commute, the the equivalent of about 15 flights of stairs.  Not counting going down stairs, and I still have to count what I do on the way home (which I know I go DOWN 180 steps but haven't yet counted the steps up).  So I think someone who can climb 15 flights of stairs in the space of about a half hour (with some walking and sitting mixed in) would be considered to have strong legs.  So now I get under a barbell, my legs are plenty strong enough for the weight, but my core/back aren't, and either my form breaks down, or I hurt something, or ????

So my plan is to strengthen my core and upper body using body weight exercises, to get those parts of my body caught up with my legs, then this Spring or Summer get back to the barbells and hopefully do better.

I know I could probably do the core/back/upper body strengthening with a barbell and someone to help me, but a trainer really isn't in the budget, and I'm not on any schedule.  I'm unlikely to hurt myself doing push-ups.

• Like 1

I agree with most of what's being said around here. From my personal experience, if I don't squat for a week, then I'm likely to suffer a minor injury at a weight a fraction of the weight that I normally train at.

However, I would like to provide a different opinion about how to strengthen your core, particularly if your goal is to eventually improve your squats, deadlifts, etc.

Mark Rippetoe's "Core" Training

To boil it down to your particular situation, you seem to be under the assumption that doing all those stairs strengthens your legs more than your core in terms of how they would be used for lifting, but I'm not sure what that would be based upon. If anything, I would assume the opposite. Because walking and climbing stairs is a much more dynamic movement, then I would think the core would be getting a better workout than the legs, proportionately.

So, if your form breaks down and/or you hurt something, then the solution is to focus on form. Having to teach your body good form is something every lifter has to deal with, regardless of their muscle composition before lifting. I'm under the impression that most of the evidence of specific core training preventing injuries is anecdotal. On the other hand, Rippetoe's athletes don't suffer a disproportionate amount of injuries, as far as I know.

Still, if we assume that your legs are disproportionately strong compared to your core, then I would still just do the lifts at weights where you can keep good form and/or not get hurt, and your body will balance out soon enough. I think you would see improvement a lot quicker this way.

Similarly, I don't really see why you need to worry about push-ups if eventually you will move to bench press.

(Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert. I'm just giving you my interpretation of Rippetoe's philosophy, which seems correct to me.)

I like this movie better.  Though Galaxy Quest was a total hoot.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RSRj5a4WEFk/UkvW-kSyruI/AAAAAAAAgZs/1FLZ8yVkaVU/s1600/q3.gif

Tally Sheet for 2019

I like this movie better. Though Galaxy Quest was a total hoot.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RSRj5a4WEFk/UkvW-kSyruI/AAAAAAAAgZs/1FLZ8yVkaVU/s1600/q3.gif

Is that Quigley Down Under!? Tom Selek STILL gives me good shivers.