Forums are back in action! ×

NF Star Wars Fans (Force Awakens spoilers inside)

I won't be done by Halloween, but I'm working on a Mandalorian for TFA opening (and next Halloween).

• Like 2

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Oh - and what do y'all think about the Hayden Christensen rumor?  I'm ok with it if it happens.  I don't think the acting was very good by any of the actors in the trilogies (and there were some really good actors).  So I don't blame him for the wooden performance.  I think if he worked with the right director it could be awesome to see Anakin or Vader in Ep VIII.

• Like 1

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

Oh - and what do y'all think about the Hayden Christensen rumor?  I'm ok with it if it happens.  I don't think the acting was very good by any of the actors in the trilogies (and there were some really good actors).  So I don't blame him for the wooden performance.  I think if he worked with the right director it could be awesome to see Anakin or Vader in Ep VIII.

I think it's ballsy as hell, if true. I admire that. 

Poor dude deserves a second chance. George Lucas is a great world builder but a terrible actor/character/story director...

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

I am such a Star Wars geek! Love the original trillogy, ever since I was a kid.  Still feel like a 9 year old kid (I'm 28 now) watching Skywalker race down the Death Star trench.  I've never much got into the expanded universe all that much.  Played the old Battlefront games, and KOTOR 1 & 2 (several times), as a kid, had a toy X-Wing, and a TIE Fighter where the wings pop off... good times.  Actually just got into "The Old Republic" MMO recently, got to force choke a Jawa, I'm hooked!! 

I'm really excited about "The Force Awakens", I was somewhat worried when Disney bought the IP, but seeing how much care they are taking of the MCU, I think the next run of movies will be phenominal. 

Really, my only gripe about the prequels is, I really wanted Anikin to be a different character.  Watching the old movies as a kid, I always wanted him to be the epitome of everything good and just, perfect... then become seduced by the dark side.  Instead of him being a whiney, angsty teenager the whole time.  That said, I didn't hate II and III, just not quite as fond of them as IV, V, and VI.

• Like 1

Nosce te ipsum, es tu ipsum

I'm a second generation fan. My dad is a huge fan of the movies. He had a friend working in the theater when ANH was originally released. My dad would bring a paper bag that his friend would fill with popcorn after letting him in the back door and he would just chill all day and watch ANH over and over, usually in the theater, but also from the projector room if his buddy was in charge of it that day. He saw ANH something like 114 times in the theater.

So yeah, I was raised on Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies and am a huge fan of both. I've read 30-40 of the expanded universe novels, my favorite being the x-wing/rogue squadron series. Loved the KoTOR games and played both multiple times.

Really, my only gripe about the prequels is, I really wanted Anikin to be a different character.  Watching the old movies as a kid, I always wanted him to be the epitome of everything good and just, perfect... then become seduced by the dark side.  Instead of him being a whiney, angsty teenager the whole time.  That said, I didn't hate II and III, just not quite as fond of them as IV, V, and VI.

I wanted the same, more of an Obi-wan type character. He was far too frivolous for my liking. I wanted more of a paladin type character that was pulled to the dark side to save someone he loved. Something along those lines. They could have easily done it and I thought they would after episode 1 with how young Anakin acted. With episode 2, I was shocked at how they developed that character between the two movies.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I wanted the same, more of an Obi-wan type character. He was far too frivolous for my liking. I wanted more of a paladin type character that was pulled to the dark side to save someone he loved. Something along those lines. They could have easily done it and I thought they would after episode 1 with how young Anakin acted. With episode 2, I was shocked at how they developed that character between the two movies.

Exactly! I wanted Anakin to be more of the 'tragic hero' type, the far fall from grace.  Something to compliment his act of redemption in Return of the Jedi.

Exactly! I wanted Anakin to be more of the 'tragic hero' type, the far fall from grace.  Something to compliment his act of redemption in Return of the Jedi.

Exactly, I can't see how the man dieing in Luke's arms could have ever been the guy from episodes 2 and 3. It doesn't fit. Vader is way too controlled to have ever been like the Anakin portrayed in 2 and 3.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm anxious to see how The Force Awakens treats Vader.  Will we get to see his holocron (assuming he had one)?  Even with the bad acting & directing in I,II and III, I still see Vader as a tragic figure.  Extremely powerful but so desperate for love and attention that he gave in to the dark.  I actually hope they bring back Hayden Christensen in Ep VIII or Rogue One to give him a chance to really show what was going on with Skywalker/Vader.  Vader deserves that.  

• Like 1

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

Just noticed this thread, I was 5 when ROTJ was in theaters and its the first movie I remember seeing.  I can't wait to take my 5 year old to the movies in December.  I got out my VHS copies of the original trilogy, no Lucas CGI changes, to show her and to get her ready.  I'm going to do the order of Episode 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 (some call the machete order).  The theory is to see the awesomness of episodes 4 and 5, then after the big Vader reveal treat 2 and 3, as a flashback, then ROTJ as the grand finale. 

• Like 1

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

• Like 2

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

32%
32%

Just noticed this thread, I was 5 when ROTJ was in theaters and its the first movie I remember seeing.  I can't wait to take my 5 year old to the movies in December.  I got out my VHS copies of the original trilogy, no Lucas CGI changes, to show her and to get her ready.  I'm going to do the order of Episode 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 (some call the machete order).  The theory is to see the awesomness of episodes 4 and 5, then after the big Vader reveal treat 2 and 3, as a flashback, then ROTJ as the grand finale. 

I've wanted to sit down and do the machete order forever, just takes so much time and with a 15 month old, aint nobody got any of that.

Can not wait until she's old enough to introduce to SW. I'm on the fence about saying screw it and trying VII as her first movie at 17 months, but I kinda don't wanna risk having to leave the theater, which is more likely than not.

500 / 330 / 625

The machete order is a pretty good idea, but I do enjoy some aspects of TPM.

I personally prefer TPM to AotC. I've thought for a while now that episodes 1 and 2 could just be cut into one film.

Episode I had great visuals, sound design, creature/character design, and musical score, which makes it still an enjoyable movie for me.

I tend to skip the first 2 thirds of Episode II - it's mostly just all the bad parts of Phantom Menace but with more over-reliance on CGI and an awkward love story. I enjoy seeing all the Jedi in action, though. Kit Fisto has been my favourite Jedi since I first saw Episode 2.

Maybe it's better to do the Machete Order, then watch Epidode 1 another day and pretend it's a pilot for a live-action TV show or something.

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

I personally prefer TPM to AotC. I've thought for a while now that episodes 1 and 2 could just be cut into one film.

Episode I had great visuals, sound design, creature/character design, and musical score, which makes it still an enjoyable movie for me.

I tend to skip the first 2 thirds of Episode II - it's mostly just all the bad parts of Phantom Menace but with more over-reliance on CGI and an awkward love story. I enjoy seeing all the Jedi in action, though. Kit Fisto has been my favourite Jedi since I first saw Episode 2.

Maybe it's better to do the Machete Order, then watch Epidode 1 another day and pretend it's a pilot for a live-action TV show or something.

You can treat it like the Holiday Special or the Ewok Movies, its there and its supplemental to the main story. 

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

32%
32%

You need the love story, it's the reason Vader becomes Vader. Do you really think episode 1 had great character design?

You can treat it like the Holiday Special or the Ewok Movies, its there and its supplemental to the main story. 

This is where I'm in with it now. I lump it in with the cartoons. Bonus material meant for kids.

500 / 330 / 625

You need the love story, it's the reason Vader becomes Vader. Do you really think episode 1 had great character design?

This is where I'm in with it now. I lump it in with the cartoons. Bonus material meant for kids.

You absolutely need the romantic storyline, but the one we got was clunky and awkward. There was no real depth.

I should have said that the design elements are TPM's better element. Maybe not great, it's a mix, but generally good.

Darth Maul = Great character design

Two headed commentary guy = Bad character design

The majority of the general citizens of the Galaxy = Good character design

The start of the love story in Episode 1 is awkward, 6 year old hitting on a teenager?  If you take it from Episode 2 it seems like a love at first sight thing.  

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

32%
32%

The start of the love story in Episode 1 is awkward, 6 year old hitting on a teenager?  If you take it from Episode 2 it seems like a love at first sight thing.  

You've never had a baby sitter as a kid! haha.

Going back to the prequel issues.   Aside from the inappropriate characterization of Anakin.  I feel that the majority of the problem, especially the cartoonishness of episode I ( and really the rest of the prequels) was, Lucas had all these fancy toys he didn't have back in the 70's-80's, CGI, motion capture, etc.  I feel he relied on these waaaay too much.  I've always been more of a fan of practical effects in movies, personally, which is one of the things that made the base trilogy so great (slapping together a bunch of WWII Battleship models into a Death Star... I'll take that over a 3D rendering any time)

That's not to say Episode I was awful... Liam Nelson as Qui-Gon (sp?) and Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan was well casted/acted (Then again, how is anything with Liam Nelson not fantastic?)  Could've done without the pod-races, but I see the point they were trying to get across, The Trade Federation droid/ship models were pretty decent... buut, a bit too much comic relief for my tastes, I would've appreciated a more serious tone.  But I get it.

The start of the love story in Episode 1 is awkward, 6 year old hitting on a teenager? If you take it from Episode 2 it seems like a love at first sight thing.

Yeah, one of the points of the machete order is that when you take episode 1 out and start with episode 2, when padme mentions knowing anakin as a boy, the audience can assume they were childhood friends instead of teenager/kid.

I never really had a problem with the age difference though. I totally could have seen me going after my 28 year old previous babysitter when I was 18 had we both been available and she interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625