Forums are back in action! ×

NF Star Wars Fans (Force Awakens spoilers inside)

I love Star Wars and grew up on the original trilogy. I've been wanting to start reading the Star Wars books for years, and I'm finally gonna give it a go. Anyone have an order to read them in, or does it really matter? I've picked up the novelizations of the original trilogy to start with. Thanks!

I love Star Wars and grew up on the original trilogy. I've been wanting to start reading the Star Wars books for years, and I'm finally gonna give it a go. Anyone have an order to read them in, or does it really matter? I've picked up the novelizations of the original trilogy to start with. Thanks!

actually, I wouldn't recommend reading the novelization of "A New Hope," except for historical interest.  It's pretty awful.  

A lot of people get excited about the "Thrawn Trilogy," which I found passably decent; I'd suggest starting there.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Problem outside of the new stuff is the books were all decanonized when Disney bought LucasArts. Those events are no longer considered to be things that happen in the galaxy.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Problem outside of the new stuff is the books were all decanonized when Disney bought LucasArts. Those events are no longer considered to be things that happen in the galaxy.

And .... this is a problem because .... ?

Because almost all of the characters you're becoming emotionally invested in don't exist.  

Well, technically..  :playful:

I prefer to think of it as two universes rather than saying "this doesn't count". That way I can enjoy The Force Unleashed without wandering why anyone should care about some farm boy on Tatooine when you've got Galen Marek pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky with his mind.

Top recommendation from "Legends" - the Darth Bane trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn, actually, anything by Drew Karpyshyn is great

Top recommendation from new canon - Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. I also loved the Shattered Empire comic miniseries.

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

Thanks for the suggestions. The main reasons I wanted to read the original trilogy are to try and get a better understanding of the timeline of the series, and to get those extras you get from books that movies leave out, like how characters are feeling and the additional stories or extended scenes. Happy reading all!

Returning to the Forum after a bit of a break (and hopefully changing names soon).  So now that the movie has been out for a while, I'm assuming everyone on this board has seen the movie or read the novel (if you haven't...shame on you...GO SEE IT!  I've seen it six times so far).  I'd like to get some feedback on some of the open questions from the movie starting with my personal favorite topic:

Who (or what) is Snoke?

I'll share my thoughts in a post later today but would love to hear what you all think.  

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

So here are some random Snoke thoughts:

- I don't believe for a second that he's Vader, or cloned Vader.

- I also don't believe he's Kylo Ren from the future.  That's just not a Star Wars thing.

- Is he Plagueis?  Possible and very intriguing.  I loved the non-canon book the covered him and it would certainly be interesting if he's been behind the scenes the whole time just biding his time knowing that Palpatine would eventually falter and all the time gathering strength.  My one big issue here is that it would be very difficult to try to explain who Plagueis is to the casual fan or the new fans that just came on board with TFA.

- Is he someone even more powerful than a Sith Lord?  Someone from the Unknown Regions that has been observing the galactic conflict all these years and when he saw the corruption with the Republic and the Empire decided to get involved to restore order (in his mind) to the galaxy?

- Is Snoke also the Grand Admiral mentioned at the end of Aftermath?  Remember we think this Grand Admiral was playing both sides to weed out the weak from what was left of the Empire (the Rebel Alliance/New Republic informant). 

- Is he the founder of the Knights of Ren?  Are these Knights the next evolution of the Sith or an order even older than the Sith?

There are lots of questions from TFA, but the Snoke mystery is the most exciting to me.  I think this character has the possibility to be even more evil than the Emperor.  Too bad we have to wait for answers.

• Like 1

Three Two Seven

Irving, TX

The Plagueis theory is so popular I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original plan but they have since changed it. I have a theory that he could be a second apprentice of Plagueis (the sith are always taking on back-up apprentices) that Sideous may have conned into "helping" him take down Plagueis only to get really messed up, enough for Sideous to assume he died. He could have found out the secret to conquering death and has been biding his time.

Although I do realise that this almost certainly isn't the case.

I really like the idea of him being an ancient being who has been around for thousands of years (if he is Darth Bane I will lose my shit) and founded the Knights of Ren based on a less self-destructive version of the Sith ideology.

Also, I think the admiral from Aftermath is the character Benicio Del Toro will be playing in VIII, and will probably be a nod to grand Admiral Thrawn from Legends continuity.

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

New trailer for Rebels!

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/01/breaking-new-star-wars-rebels-season.html

Love the line "There is always a bit of truth in legends" I feel it's probably their way of telling us that they'll be taking some stuff from the Legends canon. It's a very Dave Filoni thing to do  :)

Looks like a whole story arc devoted to the history of Jedi/Sith as well. This show just got real.

Predictions for the rest of the season.

• Zeb or Rex will die.
  • So will Cham Syndulla (Hera's father)
  • Ahsoka will die or get really bitched up by Vader
  • Ezra is going Dark Side, lots of people have thought this for a while and this trailer seems to confirm it will at least be part of his story arc, I don't think he stays Dark Side though
  • More remnants of the Jedi Order will be discovered
  • and promptly die.
  • Kanan will  continue to edge his way up my list of favourite Star Wars characters.
  • and probably die...

Where can I watch the first season of Rebels for free? I've been trying to get it recorded via reruns on DVR, but the first half of the first season hasn't run yet. I have the entire second season and the special episodes I think.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I may have double nerded by referencing The Joker in regards to Star Wars. It was either that or Theoden's "So, it begins."  :playful:

Not gonna lie, I'm getting impatient waiting for a trailer for Rouge One. We've basically seen the same amount of stuff for VIII now.

Yeah, me too. It'll apparently hit theaters when CA: Civil War does.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

It's coming out on disk soooooooon ,,, with deleted scenes.  If further obsessive fan analysis could possibly go any further (and it could, there is always more with SW) then hold on to your hoods.

btw, for your daily dose of useless trivia: I flipped through a book of TFA concept art in a bookstore, and discovered Rey's original name during production was Kira.  Wonder when they changed it.

• Like 3