Forums are back in action! ×

I'm never really sure what to include in introductory posts so please bear with me. I'm in my mid-twenties and was always something of the "typical nerd" in school. The one that hated Phys. Ed. and always got picked last for teams? Yeah. I don't have any one particular Thing that I consider my nerd calling but I'm into a little bit of everything. Books, video games, comic books, manga, anime, movies, music, etc. Mostly books and music.

Anyway, last year I was dealing with a lot of stress as a result of my University courses so I decided I should try a physical activity to combat this.  I was originally intending to sign up for yoga but it didn't fit into my schedule; however, kickboxing did. I decided to sign up for it with some hesitance but figured what the hell. As this was followed shortly by two deaths in my family I'm very glad I did.To my delight I enjoyed it immensely (to the point that I hold it responsible for staving off a complete shut down). I took it again the following semester (last semester) since I loved it so much. I've probably taken about 4-6 months, total, of training in kickboxing. I had every intention to do it again this semester (it's offered through my Uni) but it didn't fit into my schedule and I can't afford the gym rates if I don't go through the University-subsidized program. Unfortunately, this means I have to give up kickboxing for now.

During my stint kickboxing I started noticing little changes in my musculature, my flexibility, and how I felt about myself. I felt more whole. I started wanting to do cardio to supplement my training. I started actually caring about my fitness for the first time ever. It was awesome. Even though I'm unable to continue with my training at this point I want to continue with my fitness so that I can get back into kickboxing, or some other martial art, at a later time. I also kind of want to see what my body can do. I've recently been fascinated by musculature and want to work on that a bit as well. Nothing serious. Well, not yet at least. :P

I have had a hard time sticking to fitness plans in the past because frankly they hurt and I get tired and hungry and it was never that fun. If I miss even one day it tends to mess me up and I skip a bunch more days until I'm not working out anymore. I believe one of my main issues is accountability. If I don't feel accountable to anyone I tend to not bother. I don't really have anyone to work out with so I'm trying to go it alone. I'm hoping that with the whole community here at Nerd Fitness Rebellion I'll be able to convince myself to stick with it. I'm more motivated this time too because I've learned how fun and rewarding working out can be. It doesn't have to be just mindless drudgery like I used to think of it. "Sports" still aren't my thing but I realize now there are more ways to get, and stay, healthy than what I was forced into as a child.

Thank you all in advance. I'm very happy to be here. :D

• Like 2
Hello hello!

I'm super excited to hear about your adventures in kickboxing! I've always wanted to try, but usually wussed out. (I was about to type three different excuses as to why I never tried kickboxing, but the end realization was that I totally chickened out doing it.) 

So! You automatically have badass points there, on top of being a person who multiclassed on their nerd skills. I'm more of a writing/tabletop gamer myself, but I do love music. And books. And (watching other people play) video games. And I just started into comic books- therein lies madness, friend. Where did all my freetime go? Comic books ate it. 

Anyway! I can't wait to see what you pick up next, I think you'll have fun here. It's a great community with some great people doing some seriously badass things. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

Welcome to the rebellion!

It's too bad you couldn't fit kickboxing into your schedule for this semester, but have you considered doing shadow boxing?

Basically you practice the moves you know on your own and it's a pretty good workout, Here's a video explaining it.

It might help tide you over until you can get back into it for good.

At any rate, good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Hello hello!

I'm super excited to hear about your adventures in kickboxing! I've always wanted to try, but usually wussed out. (I was about to type three different excuses as to why I never tried kickboxing, but the end realization was that I totally chickened out doing it.) 

So! You automatically have badass points there, on top of being a person who multiclassed on their nerd skills. I'm more of a writing/tabletop gamer myself, but I do love music. And books. And (watching other people play) video games. And I just started into comic books- therein lies madness, friend. Where did all my freetime go? Comic books ate it. 

Anyway! I can't wait to see what you pick up next, I think you'll have fun here. It's a great community with some great people doing some seriously badass things. 

I would highly recommend kick boxing. It's a fantastic work out. I was always sweating up a storm by the end of the hour. It's actually not too difficult to get into either; beginner classes start pretty slow and build up to a higher intensity. As long as you stick with them you'll gain the skills. Obviously some things take more time than others. I personally had a lot of trouble finding my rhythm, I was starting to get there toward the end of last semester. I still practice that occasionally because you can do it pretty subtly.

I used to play D&D a long time ago but I don't have a group anymore. I know two sets of people who play but I can't join either group for a couple of reasons. However, there's a nerd shop in the city that holds weekly games apparently so I might check them out. You just reminded me how much I miss that style of gaming! Let's Plays are awesome. As I believe I mentioned I'm not in a great financial place right now as most of my money is tied up in school. I can't afford a lot of these newer games. Let's Plays are a perfect alternative.

Thank you. This does seem like an awesome place to be. I started out reading the Nerd Fitness blog posts and then I figured what the hell. Why not join the Rebellion? I've been enjoying myself so far.

Welcome to the rebellion!

It's too bad you couldn't fit kickboxing into your schedule for this semester, but have you considered doing shadow boxing?

Basically you practice the moves you know on your own and it's a pretty good workout, Here's a video explaining it.

It might help tide you over until you can get back into it for good.

At any rate, good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I have been occasionally including the warm up into my gym routines and, as I noted above, worked on my rhythm when I have a moment or two standing. I see no reason not to keep practicing my form. :) I appreciate the suggestion.