Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

You're all mad...

As a hatter :emmersed:

On an unrelated note, I definitely thought that :sorrow: was a snot rocket smiley face.

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

While in the gym today two people on separate occasions asked me questions thinking I was one of the personal trainers. At first I was confused, but then I noticed the PT uniforms there are black gym shirts with black shorts which is what I was wearing today. Also, the people that work there had to move the racks very slightly, and whilst I had 100kg on the rack for squats they moved the rack I was using (only like an inch or two). One of the trainers had to lift the bar onto his shoulders for about 3 seconds while they moved the rack, and he looked like he was literally about to collapse for all 3 seconds. I don't know if I should feel happy that I can lift more than the trainers or concerned about their clients, I'll probably do both :)

While I'm posting here, I figure this isn't something worth making a whole thread for. I've been working at hand stand push-ups lately and I've found that every now and then whenever I've been upside down, even if not for very long, one of my eyes goes a little bloodshot, and it's always the same eye. At first I thought it was just a one off but I wanna make sure it's not an issue or If it's something I'm doing wrong.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

While I'm posting here, I figure this isn't something worth making a whole thread for. I've been working at hand stand push-ups lately and I've found that every now and then whenever I've been upside down, even if not for very long, one of my eyes goes a little bloodshot, and it's always the same eye. At first I thought it was just a one off but I wanna make sure it's not an issue or If it's something I'm doing wrong.

That's not unusual. You're upside down, so all the blood is rushing to your head and you're straining at the same time. As you get better at HSPUs, it will become less of an issue because you will be straining less.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Yesterday in the Gym,   a group of 3 where doing a full body workout.  For guns, they were doing preacher curls the opposite way (instead of the angled cushioned side, they were using the straight down side.)  The weird part was, when they had full extension in the rep,  the partner would slap the biceps and cheer him on.  

I rolled my eyes and stayed away from them.  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Yesterday in the Gym,   a group of 3 where doing a full body workout.  For guns, they were doing preacher curls the opposite way (instead of the angled cushioned side, they were using the straight down side.)  The weird part was, when they had full extension in the rep,  the partner would slap the biceps and cheer him on.  

I've never seen that but am trying to picture it. Didn't they have to stand and lean over it since the seat would be on the other side?

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I've never seen that but am trying to picture it. Didn't they have to stand and lean over it since the seat would be on the other side?

Yes,  its a variation of standing BB curls, but using the preach curl machine to brace the elbows.  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

So I hit the gym tonight for my lunch hour workout (nights sucks monkeyballs!) and I see a dude come in, do a half hearted warm up, then do some bicep curls...wander off and chat to his mates, wander past me while I'm OHP'ing and getting a bit close (which I'm non too thrilled about) before then walking round half heartedly and then spending the rest of the time on his phone texting (or whats apping, I don't know what the kids are up to nowadays!)

I mean, why bother hitting the gym at all...

In the time it had taken him to do this I had completed my dynamic warm up, completed 4 sets of pull ups, dead lifts and OHP's and also hanging knee raises too...

• Like 1

I don't understand how people can have so much misinformation regarding weight training sometimes. We have the internet, there is literally an endless stream of information in your pocket (unless you're just happy to see me). If bicep curls are a fundamental part of your routine then you probably need a new routine. Not that there's anything wrong with curls, but the only time curls should come before pull-ups or rows is in the dictionary.

Every now and then I see this on guy who raises a bench to incline, puts a towel over the end, then stands behind it to do preacher curls, instead of using the preacher curls station.

So I was invited to join a boot camp style workout group in the work gym last night. Lots of fun, 3 very fit guys and me, the 205 lbs female. I was definitely the odd man out, but I'm game.

We hit the squat jump part of the workout and one of the guys cracks a joke about working on his bikini body. So I suggested to him that the best motivation was trying to picture himself in a G-string.

5 min later we're doing core work. So the instructor brings out the G-string joke again, only now it's "gotta work on that 6 pack in a g-string"

I cannot help myself, I belt out "what if I want a keg in a cargo net?" and my fellows all start to collapse into laughter and even the instructor snarks out a "that's more my style too" before she tries to get us back on track.

It ended up being an awesome body weight workout all around and the best part to me was that after it ended, all the guys admitted that they were impressed with how fit I am considering how soft and flabby I look. (It was said in nicer terms than that but the point is the same). I was the biggest and the only female, and they all admitted that I pushed the hardest. Go me.

• Like 13

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Not that there's anything wrong with curls, but the only time curls should come before pull-ups or rows is in the dictionary.

I've discovered that curls are my 2nd favorite exercise to skip (abs being the first) so I have to do them first or I'll just go home and then shirts will fit normally and I can't have that.

Wheymen

I don't understand how people can have so much misinformation regarding weight training sometimes. We have the internet, there is literally an endless stream of information in your pocket (unless you're just happy to see me). If bicep curls are a fundamental part of your routine then you probably need a new routine. Not that there's anything wrong with curls, but the only time curls should come before pull-ups or rows is in the dictionary.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Pre-Exhaust training has been a big part of bringing up lagging muscle groups in bodybuilding programming for decades.

I don't understand how people can have so much misinformation regarding weight training sometimes. We have the internet, there is literally an endless stream of information in your pocket (unless you're just happy to see me). 

I think this can be applied to life. 'I don't understand how people can have so much misinformation regarding _______________' 

weight training

strength training for females

how raspberry ketones aren't a magic weight loss substance

body wraps and fat loss

Esp. regarding fitness/health the list is pretty endless. Just have to remember that you not only find a wealth of info on the internet....It's a free for all, you can also find a wealth of BAD information on the internet. 

• Like 2

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I think this can be applied to life. 'I don't understand how people can have so much misinformation regarding _______________' 

weight training

strength training for females

how raspberry ketones aren't a magic weight loss substance

body wraps and fat loss

Esp. regarding fitness/health the list is pretty endless. Just have to remember that you not only find a wealth of info on the internet....It's a free for all, you can also find a wealth of BAD information on the internet. 

This!

I can search google and find documents supporting a whole host of contradicting information out there

• Like 1

Sorry but I have to disagree. Pre-Exhaust training has been a big part of bringing up lagging muscle groups in bodybuilding programming for decades.

Ah, by "comes before" I meant in importance rather than chronologically. As in your priority shouldn't be to increase the weight you can curl.

I've discovered that curls are my 2nd favorite exercise to skip (abs being the first) so I have to do them first or I'll just go home and then shirts will fit normally and I can't have that.

Really? I always feel manly doing curls, I feel more like I belong in the gym, plus a bicep pump is the best pump imo. With abs my system is usually to do abs at the end of my workout so that it totals an hour (ie, if I've been lifting for 50 minutes I do abs work for the next 10).

This could go into the smile thread as well, but I have plenty going on there... so my submission.

It's one thing to see changes in yourself, it's one thing to have your SO see changes in you... but it's a whole other thing when someone at the gym notices.

Other gym goer: Hey man, you're trying to get bigger right?

Me: Yeah...

OGG: Well it's working, you can see it in the legs and arms and a little in the shoulders

Me: Thanks... and yeah, I've put on about 20 pounds, not all muscle, but it's nice to see that it's working.

OGG: Well, keep it up and I'll catch you later *walks out*

Me: *Does the next five squat reps with a huge smile*

• Like 10

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

In my gym they have screens that show a person's heart rate and number of calories burned, I don't know why it's put on a screen for all to see as if anybody else cares, but there ya go. The other day the screen read 1,208 calories. I am just slightly sceptical regarding its accuracy.

• Like 1

Were they winking at the time? Does your SO need to be concerned about competition...?

They might have winked (was kind of far away), but they're a guy and I don't swing that way... so nope, no competition... :-)

In my gym they have screens that show a person's heart rate and number of calories burned, I don't know why it's put on a screen for all to see as if anybody else cares, but there ya go. The other day the screen read 1,208 calories. I am just slightly sceptical regarding its accuracy.

No no... now you use that as justification for getting a massive milkshake at Sonic. You earned it...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I got hold of my gym manager's email a couple of months ago and sent him some unasked for opinions regarding the lack of squat racks (just 1). A month later a new rack appeared :) I sent him a nice thankyou mail afterward. Good luck with your quest.

• Like 3