Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

This might be my new favorite video:

What if men and women switched roles in the gym?

http://screen.yahoo.com/flip-side-workout-000000175.html

These are awesome, totally just watched them all!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

saw a guy do alternate grip upright/yates rows (that's not me hating on yates rows btw) with a rounded back... and a guy who is pretty strong (forms not always good but he's solid) 'training' him and saying that they were alright (he wasn't too taken on the alt grip though)

This might be my new favorite video:

What if men and women switched roles in the gym?

http://screen.yahoo.com/flip-side-workout-000000175.html

"Don't be a little penis!"

FWIW, I\m glad I work out at home.

Because I like to curl in the squat rack.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

Oh no, there are lots of us. My iPhone is a great relief sometimes to drown it out. I have limited control over the playlist in my head.

really? I call my station WADD because I am always switching the song about 30 seconds in.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Personally I'm the classic sort with the single red flashing eye. These modern human-looking ones are nothing on us.

except being able to blend with little to no suspicion...ya know little things like that

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

RIP Stupid Stuff Seen at the Gym on fitocracy :(  I'll go curl in the squat rack on poor some beer on the ground.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Saw a guy doing pull-ups - UPSIDE DOWN :o

I wanted to take a video but figured that would be creepy. It was seriously cool though.

I've seen that before.  Very impressive.  It would be very bad to have sweaty palms.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Not sure what was going on last night in the squat rack just up from mine. There were three guys sat on the safety bars. One was in full 20/20 cricket gear with a cricket bat. All he did with it was roll the rubber on the handle down the shaft (oi oi!) and back up again. Another would every 10 minutes come out the rack, lean on the outside and get what I think were meant to be one hand db rows out and go back to sitting and chatting.

Some guy managed to rescue the bar from them and bought it over behind my rack to get some deads in. I looked at him and said "The least they could do is curl in there!" Later one guy suggested the squat racks might now be park benches, which makes sense.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Some guy managed to rescue the bar from them and bought it over behind my rack to get some deads in. I looked at him and said "The least they could do is curl in there!" Later one guy suggested the squat racks might now be park benches, which makes sense.

I agree with your assessment.  I'd rather see folks curling in the squat racks than warming the park bench!

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

Not something I overheard, but was pretty damn funny nonetheless:

Yesterday I was doing my run in a local park. It was pretty overcast and had been raining, and it was the middle of the day to boot. The park was mostly deserted. As I was running around one of the parking lots, I saw ahead of me what appeared to be an empty car and an empty truck. As I ran around the corner where they were parked, however, I glanced to the side, and the car was most definitively NOT empty. As in her head shot up out of his lap as I ran by with a mortified look of embarrassment on it. I sped up to get done ASAP, and to give them some privacy. ;-)

Level 3 Male Half-Elven RangerSTR:5 DEX:6 STA:8 CON:8 WIS:6 CHA:6

Current Challenge

^Hilarious!

Okay, this is more of an experience and not so much overheard but I hope it fits in here nonetheless:

I work at a private school and all employees get to use the gym there for free; I clean this gym regularly. I had just worked out the night before and was in the gym the next morning cleaning up.

I had left my weight on my squat bar from the night before (how rude of me) so I started to remove the 45's from either side and a guy who happened to be working out there RAN(!) to help me take them off, insisting that I might hurt myself... I had not the heart to tell him.

Level 2 Dwarf Warrior 

STR: 6 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 5 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 1

Height: 5'1"  Weight: 210 lbs.
Squat: 155x5x5, 195 1RM
Deadlft: 175x5, 180 1RM
Bench: 95x5x3, 100 1RM

"Now we stand together, Warriors unite;
Vikings forever, Fighting side by side"

-- "Norsemen of Steel" - Wulfgar

I had left my weight on my squat bar from the night before (how rude of me) so I started to remove the 45's from either side and a guy who happened to be working out there RAN(!) to help me take them off, insisting that I might hurt myself... I had not the heart to tell him.

Haha! A wild Knight in shining armour appears! Sounds like he was just trying to be nice and doing what he thought was the right thing... funny for him to assume you couldn't handle it, considering you were lifting that beforehand.

I had to go to a different gym today. I normally go to the gym after work, but today I can't, so I went during my lunch break to a nearby gym at my work.

With my squats, I don't squat that much compared to others (I work between 100-110kg, depending on how I feel and how much sleep I've had the night before) but when I do squat, I try to get as close to the ground as possible, my butt to touch the floor if I can. Anyway, I get approached by two guys.

"Do you do cross fit?"

"No sorry, why?"

"I only see cross fitters squat that low."

To be honest, it actually felt good to hear that, but on the other hand, I now feel that this gym is a sad, squat-less place... after all, they only have one squat rack, and the last person before me was using it was doing it for bicep curls. :/

My gym has 4 huge and beautiful racks. On Wednesday night there were two rack with the safety bars in.

Now I'll use the safety bars while squatting alone in the lowest hole and it's just below where the bar comes. These guys both had the safety bars in one down from the highest. Wouldn't want to get more than a quarter squat now!

690_470_1272229-png-hero.png

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Wouldn't want to get more than a quarter squat now!

I occasionally do that when I'm 50kg or so over my max just to get used to the load (plus my 1 rep max weighs next to nothing if I do it straight after). Never seen anyone else doing it so the chances if running into two of them ...

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

So, there's this lady I see at my gym occasionally who I am convinced is on steroids. She looks like she's in her 40s-50s, with a fake tan, bleach blonde hair, and really, really big defined muscles. Which would be fine except the only things I ever see her do are high reps on a couple machines, and the elliptical.

Anyway, there's a barbell and bumper plate section for people to do Olypmic lifts, Crossfit, wherever, and the treadmills and cardio machines are nearby. These two guys come in to do ultra heavy 1-rep deadlifts, and drop the bar after locking out at the top. This lady was over on the elliptical, going slow and watching tv. The first time one of the guys dropped the bar, she looked over and yelled "Hey, don't do that, it's distracting." And this is in the back room where tire flips, sledgehammers, and so on are encouraged, so there's definitely noise.

Luckily the two guys just told her "Um, yeah, the gym owner's cool with it, so we're going to keep at it." And went on with their deadlifts. It was awesome.

• Like 1

Anyway, there's a barbell and bumper plate section for people to do Olypmic lifts, Crossfit, wherever, and the treadmills and cardio machines are nearby. These two guys come in to do ultra heavy 1-rep deadlifts, and drop the bar after locking out at the top. This lady was over on the elliptical, going slow and watching tv. The first time one of the guys dropped the bar, she looked over and yelled "Hey, don't do that, it's distracting." And this is in the back room where tire flips, sledgehammers, and so on are encouraged, so there's definitely noise.

Luckily the two guys just told her "Um, yeah, the gym owner's cool with it, so we're going to keep at it." And went on with their deadlifts. It was awesome.

Yeah there's really no reason to do this, I'd be annoyed too.