Forums are back in action! ×

Scatterbunn's Epic Quest

I have been cycling for about 2 years now, pretty regularly and have been reading Nerd Fitness for probably 3-4 years. Decided I t was time to join the forums. One of my goals set at the beginning of the year is to eventually do a bike ride in all fifty states. I had planned to start this year but injuries kept me from training for several large chunks of the season so the two out of state rides had to be canceled. (The injuries were accidents, not over training, I stepped in a hole and sprained my ankle setting me back over a month then I was attacked by a dog while riding my bike, setting things back again) Hopefully I will start that Quest next april. For now I am focusing on improving strength, especially upper body and core which are important but I tend to neglect during the season.

I am also beginning to slowly work running into my routine as I decrease mileage and intensity getting ready for winter. I HATE to run but one of the Quests I want to Complete is a 3 day event Called the Triple Treat the end of August with a Trail Half Marathon on day 3. I am a pretty fast walker and could probably walk it in 3-4 hours to complete the event but I would like to be able to run at least part of it. Come Dec/January my focus will shift to preparing for the  13 mile MTB and 100 mile road rides and probably cut running to one day a week to keep my body used to it. I look forward to connecting with everyone here and making friends.

Image result for welcome gif

Hi there! Nice to meet'cha and welcome to the rebellion! I'm Stella :)

I've been watching Nerd Fitness for a long time too, and only recently made the *plunge* and joined the forums. Trust me, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine - it's a lovely place.

Glad to see you have a bunch of goals in place! They sound pretty interesting, too. Well, wish you the best of luck in the forums and with your goals, hope to see you around! If ever you want a chat feel free to drop me a pm.

Stella~

Stella   ::   Sprightly Elf   ::   Level 1

Me!      ::    Battle log       ::   Challenge

Hi, welcome to the Rebellion! 

Sorry about your injuries, but I'm glad to see your still on track! (Or on bike ...) What type of workout schedule do you plan to have?

If you want to join in with this 4 Week Challenge, you can come join our forums and set up a couple of goals to work towards for the next few weeks. We are over here!

If you don't want to, but just want to hang out and talk a bit about nerdy stuff or fitness, join us at theJuice bar

We look forward to seeing you around, and feel free to come ask any question. :D

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

It has definitely been a challenge to stay with things and not let the "fear" from being bitten stop me. I have been riding for 2 years and while I have had issues with dogs before this was the first actual bite. Even though I pretty much avoid that street, there are a lot of loose dogs in the town no one does anything about and even dogs who don't try to bite can be dangerous, (small dogs seem to like to play chicken with my front wheel). Intrestingly, many of the dogs who trouble me while riding, are very friendly when I'm out walking/running, (though I do carry pepperspray now just incase).

Iv already joined the 4 week challenge with the scouts, thanks. Im planning on cutting my cycling miles approx. 50-70% until November while I focus on Strength and running, but I have a 50 mile ride in December so I have to make sure I don't loose too much cycling fitness. Cutting back to  one longish (30 mile) ride every 2 weeks with 7-10 mile rides x2 week as warmup for strength training. Goals right now are 3 rides over 5 miles, 2 "runs", and 2 strength days each week, with 3 1 mile dog walks as cool down/active recovery. I have an 8 month border collie mix puppy who I hope to have as a running partner come spring when she is old enough, but I'm starting her "training" now, just walking, nothing too strenuous, but working on leash manners, etc.

Also I am slightly modifying the C25K program since I will be running 2x most weeks instead of 3. Last week I did 5 1:2 minute run walk intervals, then 6 sets. this week I have done the week 1 workout twice. I am going to go to week 2 next week, then do all three workouts over 1 1/2 weeks, so two weeks of the program will take me 3 weeks to complete. For strength training, I am starting with a scaled back version of the Beginners Body weight workout.  Right now doing 5 reps of most exercises, and 3 sets. Right now I can only do countertop pushups, but trying to add one rep of one exercise to each set every time. (Ex, today I did the same workout I did Monday but added 2 lunges to each set, Sunday or Monday I will increase pushups).