Forums are back in action! ×

12 hours ago, Emma said:

Those are not my cup of tea but they definitely get the job done? 

11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

From personal experience: the weighing is the same each time, the rest can vary, so the rest is just "data" to use in looking for long-term trends... ?

I just need a scale that is relatively consistent and doesn’t display “ERROR” when I step on it. 

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

The missus still scolds me when I do so, though. "Look who's picking one of the new plates and gives the old ones to us." 

She should always have new lol. 

we have deep plates that are blind friendly for my Dad. I like them just fine.  

7 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Oh Snarky that is excellent news! I am so happy to hear that!

Speaking up is hard, but projecting into the void is worse for me. I have really had to learn to speak up. *rubs elbows* You got this. 

Thank you! This is encouraging!!

• Like 4

Howdy everyone! I hope y'all had a good weekend.  Mine was really quiet and lovely. I played a lot of Breath of the Wild and just did those small chores that tend to slip out of one's mind like replacing batteries and doing small repairs. It was a good weekend. 

So far, counting calories and getting 30 minutes a day is working really well. I wanted to add a lot more strength training in smaller increments, but I ended up doing it twice last week, and I feel good, so I'm going to continue to listen to my body as I do that.  The 30 minute walks feel easy now, and I'm ready to add another ten minutes to it.  It helps that my veins are healing so well and it doesn't hurt when I walk now.

Counting calories definitely is my weight loss buddy now. I have cut what I normally eat by about 400 calories a day, because it has effectively eliminated stress/mindless eating for me. Using the Lose It app instead of MFP is great for sidestepping some disordered eating triggers. The app just records the food and says "Congrats!" when I'm done for the day. I like the quietness of it. 

And I'm getting results! 236.6 pounds in my weekly weigh in, so I'm happy with that. I'm shooting for 235 this week. 

This week is my dad's birthday with just us, then Saturday with my brother and family and it looks like my visiting uncle may come home for the 4th of July so he may be here too.  It's going to be a busy week. I'm ready for it though. 

Have a good day! I hope the weather isn't bonkers where you are. 

• Like 6

Great news! I am done with the eye doctor who removed my pterygium. My pressures are 19 and 19, and my eye looks really healthy and good. I'm so thrilled. My regular eye doctor is a part of that practice so I'll be in every year to get my eyes checked out.  19 is the high side of normal, so my plan is still in effect for the rest of my life.  But I don't have to go back to the ophthalmologist for anymore check ups. We're all done!

We bought a new scale! I'm very excited about it. I'm pretty sure I'll weigh more than the old scale said and that's okay.  I'm not ready to step on it though. I'll have to step on it for Monday though because that's Pirate Weigh In day.  arrrrr walking the plank!

It's been a helluva week ya'll, and frankly, I think we'll just let it go and look forward. I'm good. We're good.  :D I hope you have an amazing weekend

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:07 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Pirate Weigh In day.  arrrrr walking the plank!

OOOOHHHHH, I love this reframing of weigh-in day.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

237.5! Not a bad weigh in considering ALL the different variables from the last week. I like the new scale a lot, it's easy to read and very decisive.  I'm going to shoot to lose 2 pounds next week. 

I feel like I'm getting the hang of basic exercise and healthy dieting, so I think I'm ready to level up in July a little bit. 

My ideal diet is going to be vegetables, whole grains, fruit, and lean meats. So this month, I'm going to start aiming for more vegetarian meals, more fish, more white meat chicken (although between us, I am tired of chicken) and eat less pork and beef.  

For exercise, I'm identifying weak points in my body that need a little more love and exercise so I can stay mobile and strong when I'm an old lady. My hips and ankles are one, and my shoulders are surprisingly weak, so I'm going to continue my full body workouts and add a few more exercises to it. 

It's all very boring, important work, and I'm very grateful I have this time to really repair the damage I've caused and hopefully becomes a very healthy person who doesn't have a lot of pain or serious health conditions. :) 

• Like 6

End of Week Check In: 

I decided to skip Friday weigh-ins in favor of Monday weigh-ins.  My diet tends to relax around Thursday, and this gives me time over the weekend to make my weekly goal. It feels like cheating, but it's not. Which is my favorite kind of cheat.

Reviewing my diet changes: 

I started drinking a glass of water every hour. It's working really well for me in terms of feeling physically good and being more mindful and present. 

No red meat this week, and I'm doing well with it, but I do think about cheeseburgers a lot.  I also cut back white flour and sugar and I feel good. 

Reviewing my exercise changes:

In addition to 30-40 minutes of cardio, I'm more intentional about strength training and adding exercises specifically for my weak spots. It works. I have a lot less pain, and I think all three diet and exercise changes made it possible. Less pain means better sleeping, and more energy.  We'll find out Monday if it means weight loss too. I'm betting it does. 

I'm getting better at healthy boundaries with my family, and giving them more space to fail. And I'm also getting better at letting myself fail. And also really, REALLY letting up on my ideas of success and failure. I've got a ways to go, but I'm on a good path here. 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm getting better at healthy boundaries with my family, and giving them more space to fail. And I'm also getting better at letting myself fail. And also really, REALLY letting up on my ideas of success and failure. I've got a ways to go, but I'm on a good path here. 

I love this for you so much. Boundaries lead to less, less leads to rest, rest leads to peace. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I love this for you so much. Boundaries lead to less, less leads to rest, rest leads to peace. 

That would be a lovely accomplishment!  Thank you. friend. I have appreciated your gentle encouragement along the way and also just you explaining WTF boundaries are years ago  ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Why does this feel like Jedi wisdom? 

0fJ24yp.gif

• Like 6

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Reviewing my exercise changes:

In addition to 30-40 minutes of cardio, I'm more intentional about strength training and adding exercises specifically for my weak spots. It works. I have a lot less pain, and I think all three diet and exercise changes made it possible. Less pain means better sleeping, and more energy.  We'll find out Monday if it means weight loss too. I'm betting it does. 

YEA!!!!  Experiment and find out what works for you.  

• Like 3

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Weigh in today was 236.2 which is a 1.3 pound loss this week! I'm getting so close to 235. I CAN SMELL IT. It smells like VICTORY. 

While I feel like I've leveled up, I also feel like I need more time to get my footing at this level, so no new changes planned for the upcoming week, except that I'm definitely taking a rest day on Thursday and again on Sunday. I think I work harder when I know I've got a break coming up soon. 

Woot! Thanks for being here, and have an awesome week!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Woot! Thanks for being here, and have an awesome week!

Back at ya!!  ?️

• Like 1

Tomorrow my dad is getting some uncomfortable nerve tests done to help determine his diagnosis for his peripheral neuropathy. We're also still waiting for some test results called an anti-mag test? I don't know if I've said it before but the genetic test came back so it's not a genetic disease causing it, which is good.  I decided not to do any more research into the neuropathy stuff until we get a diagnosis. The possibilities are overwhelming. 

On Thursday, he's getting a heart catheterization. Eldest Uncle is a retired cardiac nurse who used to work in this office, so he told my folks he wanted to go with them, but he needed someone to pick up his grandkids at the airport (My aunt is not a good driver) and I said "I'll get 'em."  so that's that.  My folks are really happy EU is going with them, and it's taking some of the scariness out of it.  

It's still kinda scary though, and I needed to share what's going on because it feels a little too big for me.  I'll let you know how he's doing afterwards on thursday.  

• Like 3

Dad’s neuropathy appt was okay. It was painful and uncomfortable. This doc tends to tell you all the possibilities so he’s looking at CIDP but he won’t know until he gets the bloodwork that was missed. So poor mom and dad waited 90 minutes to get his bloodwork and it turns out the doc ordered nine tests in total. We’ll see what the tests say by next week. The good news the doc is very thorough! He said this is a rapidly progressing neuropathy.  He said nothing we want to hear so we’re all just kinda processing and waiting to collect more data. Dad’s sleeping right now.  

tomorrow is heart cath day so there’s another reason not to dwell heavily on today. I’m driving my aunt to the airport and then we’re taking her grandkids out to lunch. That’ll be nice. I’m looking forward to the distraction.  But I am also looking forward to coming home afterwards. ???

today I got a ton of gardening done as as soon As I finished it rained. Now I don’t have to water everything!! It feels like a small gift. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Hoping for good news!!!

THANKS! I have a good feeling about today. My stomach doesn't get that feeling, but I feel like it's going to be okay today. I'm so glad my uncle is with them.  I'm also so glad that I have something useful to do by picking up my cousin's kids from the airport with my aunt. My aunt loves being a grandmother, and she just spent a week with her granddaughters at the beach, and now she's getting her grandsons for a week. She's so happy and proud, and I like this version of her very much. 

But if you ever make a bread pudding, don't you dare make it chocolate or she will NEVER let you hear the end of it. It will get contentious. :D 

Thank you, talking about her has helped me settle down a bit. I'll let you know how Dad is doing later today!

• Like 3

Hugs for you, Snarky! Hope things are going as well as they can!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Who puts chocolate in bread pudding?

Hugs for Dad situation.

My aunt will be so happy someone agrees with her. That being said, it's absolutely delicious, Tank, and it's worth a try, even if it looks like beef.  Thank you for the hugs!

6 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Hugs for you, Snarky! Hope things are going as well as they can!

Thanks you for the hugs, Sovalis. 

Dad update: Dad is alive. I'm starting off with that. They were 15 minutes into his heart cath when they realized it wasn't partially blocked, but completely blocked, and that he had two other blockages. Friday the 21 he'll have 3-5 bypasses so he's gonna need open heart surgery. He's absolutely devastated and sore from the catheterization. We're all just kind of shocked and sad. But the good news is the doctors said because he's so fit and exercises so much that  was probably keeping him from having a heart attack, and that he'll recover well. 

Mom didn't want to tell me the news while I was out driving my aunt and her grandsons back and we were at lunch at the time, so she wouldn't say how he was doing. She just said Call me when you're home." and she always says when he's okay, so I spent an hour and a half not sure if he was even alive. My aunt kept saying "He's going to be okay" and I'm like "She didn't say he was okay."  Once I learned he was ALIVE, I just cried with relief and had a talk with my mom that she really needs to say "Dad's okay and alive" after these kind of things.

No one is okay with this heart business right now. But we're all going to bed and hopefully tomorrow will feel a little better. I'm going to meditate now. And scream into my pillow. ❤️ And then focus on the positive. It was good he opted to get the stent or they wouldn't have caught his clogged arteries and he might've had a heart attack! so they're catching this before it was a  crisis. That's a positive!

Goodnight. 

• Like 6

My dad had open heart surgery (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft, CABG, pronounced "cabbage" in medical lingo) several years ago. Fortunately I had already had chaplaincy training so I knew what to expect more or less. It's hard when it's all new to you. I don't want to overwhelm you with info or scare you, but let me know if you have any questions or want a rundown of what to expect as a family member of a patient having the surgery.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm going to meditate now. And scream into my pillow. ❤️ And then focus on the positive.

It's going to be a rough patch, and all three are good solo or in combination.  

Chocolate bread pudding is divine.

And we're pulling for you.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My dad had open heart surgery (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft, CABG, pronounced "cabbage" in medical lingo) several years ago. Fortunately I had already had chaplaincy training so I knew what to expect more or less. It's hard when it's all new to you. I don't want to overwhelm you with info or scare you, but let me know if you have any questions or want a rundown of what to expect as a family member of a patient having the surgery.

Thank you! ?I will probably take you up on this.  Right now, I'm still processing my feelings and working on not shutting down and going into "fix it" mode. :) My mom has been telling him for years that even though he's skinny and fit, he still needs to eat right, and he only started listening a few months ago.  She is now turning to my brother and I saying "ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS?" ❤️ 

I am.

5 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

It's going to be a rough patch, and all three are good solo or in combination.  

Chocolate bread pudding is divine.

And we're pulling for you.  

Thank you! ?

My dad makes a really good chocolate bread pudding! He also makes an amazing pumpkin bread that is basically cake.  I suspect he won't feel like baking either this Christmas though.

The good news is that in the last three months he's really changed his diet a lot to have less sugar and fat, so while it didn't prevent THIS from happening, he's not going to go through the shock of a drastic diet change because we're almost there with our diets with loads of veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins. 

• Like 4

Update:

The initial shock is passing and Dad is recovering well from the cath procedure. Mom has a friend who lives closer to the hospital and she invited mom to stay with her anytime, so it would cut her hospital commute in half. She said "I'm going to take her up on that."  I won't be going to the hospital every day he's there, because there will be a day where I need to be home cooking, cleaning and making sure everything is ready for Dad to come home. My brother is going to the hospital with us on the day of the surgery and I'm so glad because he's comforting. He makes people feel relaxed just by being there and he always makes people laugh and just is so reassuring.  I am not like this. I am the person who brings all the snacks and am ready to cut anyone who may be threatening. Both are useful. :) 

I'll be back later for a reflection on the week's diet and exercise program and plan for next week. Have a good day!

• Like 4