Forums are back in action! ×

Hello. nugneH. M'ath.

I know you guys don't care where I'm from, but I'm from Perth in Australia.

I'm carrying some extra weight, and I want to get a little stronger because I'm joining the Army in 8 weeks. I can't believe I only found out about NF last week! Hella lame.

I have never seen such a positive environment, and I love that most of it's in a language I get.

As I said, on 6 august I am joining the (Australian) Army. Entry for this fine organisation (called a Pre-enlistment Fitness Assessment or PFA) is 15 pushups, 45 situps and 7.5 on a beep test...

But I have already met that particular standard (albeit once and only just.) So that's "good enough". But I've discovered NF, so "good enough" is no longer good enough, and now I need to make the PFA my bitch.

I am booked in to do my PFA on 11 July (My 28th birthday). Once I've passed that, I'll go to Recruit Training for about 3 months. During this time, and in order to graduate, I'll have to perform a Basic Fitness Assessment, which is 35 pushups, 60 situps and a 2.4km (1.5mi) run in 11:30mins. I reckon if I can get close to that BEFORE I go, I'll be laughing.

I'm interested in setting these goals for the 6 week challenge coming up on 18/6/12.

To Infinity and Beyond!

- Buzz Lightyear

Awesome and welcome! These things are totally doable in 3 months, especially if you are already in a fitness-oriented place AND being here which is awesome.

What is a beep test?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks for the warm welcome!

A beep test is also known as a "Progressive Shuttle Run" and a "Multi-Stage Fitness Test". Two markers are set out 20 metres apart, and a recording is played. The recording has a series of beeps, getting progressively faster. The object is to get your foot to touch or cross the line before the beep sounds. Once it sounds, that's the signal to perform the next shuttle.

On second thought, there's a LOT more info on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

For someone like me (reformed couch potato), the beep test has proved the real challenge. It's not only running, but fast 180 deg.turns.

To Infinity and Beyond!

- Buzz Lightyear

Performed a fitness test this morning:

15 pushups (I used a slightly narrower hand spacing to put more strain on my triceps)

50 situps

6.8 beep test.

I just got over the flu which massacred my scores, luckily the beep test is the only thing I still really need to work on. I'm trying to get some goals together for the next 6 week challenge. I reckon 20-25 pushups (in one set), 60-65 situps and an 8.0-9.0 on the beep test will really shake things up. Now I just need to choose a lifestyle goal...

To Infinity and Beyond!

- Buzz Lightyear

Glad to meet you and welcome to the forum!

I've done beep tests for rugby training. They are tough. Here are some quick recommendations for the 180 degree turns. First, wear cleats. It'll keep you from sliding. Next, make sure when you hit the line that your foot is parallel with the line to help stop. Then, give a slight knee bend to absorb your momentum (if you are not required to touch the line with your hand, then don't). Lastly, use the knee bend, foot position, and cleat grip to launch yourself into the next sprint. Note that you use the opposite foot at the opposite line.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Archived