Forums are back in action! ×

Building A Gym

So, my Angry Birds workout is progressing, and I'm seeing some progress. But I'm feeling like I'm gonna outclass the Dumbbell I got to do rows with in lieu of pullups. I have no where in my house to mount a bar easily. I'm also quite tall, and I'm not likely to be below the weight limit on most commercial door mount pullup bars before I need it.

So, I got it in my head that I'd make a backyard pullup bar. Figured out how to do it and I'm implementing it soon.

This was dangerous.

Realizing my eventual desire to build some serious strength, I've realized that I have no room in my home.

And little money.

So I've planned out a way to make an ultimate benchpress/squat station for use outdoors for workouts. it's based on some plans I've seen around.

I figure I will build the equipment piece by piece, and then get the weights.

I'm doomed.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

I saw an article once talking about setting up a pullup bar but instead of making it fixed it was hanging from two chains. It would be quite easy to drape two chains over a tree branch and then fix a pullup bar to that, no?

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Well, a swinging bar is not the same thing, although it is a good workout. I'll post the plans as soon as I can. The Pullup bar is pretty basic. Pipe, flanges, 4x4 Pressure treated, holes, concrete.

The Power Rack equivalent is crazy.

Here are my sources.

http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html

http://www.fitstream.com/articles/how-to-make-an-outdoor-pull-up-bar-a176

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

Well, a swinging bar is not the same thing, although it is a good workout.

What are the differences, exercise wise? I'd be interested in any recommended reading on this...

My current pullup bar consists of a piece of closet rod tied to the rafters in my garage. It cost me $0.00 because I had the rod and rope laying around. But if there is a reason to build a solid bar instead...well I guess that means I better see what else I have leaning against the garage walls to build things out of!

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Archived