Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Just read holes which was a nice easy read. Now about to try and tackle the hobbit...

I'm a bit nervous because I once tried to read Lord of the rings (about 10 years ago) and just couldn't get along with it. I'm kind of hoping I'll enjoy the hobbit and then maybe try LOTR again

• Like 3

TKDgirl Level 3 amazon

STR 7 DEX 0 STA 7 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 3

Challenges: 1 2, current

20 good form push ups

45%
45%

Just read holes which was a nice easy read. Now about to try and tackle the hobbit...

I'm a bit nervous because I once tried to read Lord of the rings (about 10 years ago) and just couldn't get along with it. I'm kind of hoping I'll enjoy the hobbit and then maybe try LOTR again

I read The Hobbit in high school and loved it. Then tried reading LOTR and gave up - it was too boring for my taste.

• Like 2

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

On The Road. I'm not loving it. I've decided this is the year that I read all those book I've been meaning to read. I also hated Pride and Prejudice (and Emma) earlier this year.

I did that a few years ago and was also kind of let down with a lot of them.  I did completely love Crime and Punishment though if you still want to continue reading the "really should reads" after all the disappointment I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Just started Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Eleanor and Park ripped my poor little heart out and stomped on all my feelings, so I'm looking forward to reading through this one. It's great so far and appeals to my inner-fanfiction-writing self of years past  :redface:

I've been bopping back and forth between some YA fiction and more "grown-up" reads and it's a fun balance.

Challenge | Twitter: @jarnold427 | Obsession

New Goal Progress

0%
0%

Start: 190   |   Goal: 175

Goal Achieved!!!

100%
100%

Start: 225   |   Goal: 190

Battle Log: Operation Avenger

I read The Hobbit in high school and loved it. Then tried reading LOTR and gave up - it was too boring for my taste.

OMG I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.  I've always felt like the worst nerd in history for this!

Agreed. I've gotten so many bad looks for not having read LOTR because I found it boring and loved a "children's tale" instead

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Agreed. I've gotten so many bad looks for not having read LOTR because I found it boring and loved a "children's tale" instead

Another reason I didn't get into LOTR was because I had previously read Terry Brooks' "The Sword of Shannara" which has a very similar plot without being boring.

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

I did that a few years ago and was also kind of let down with a lot of them.  I did completely love Crime and Punishment though if you still want to continue reading the "really should reads" after all the disappointment I'd highly recommend it.

With Jane Austen, it was really more that I kept getting told I would love it, despite my complete lack of interest. I gave in, and found Emma barely tolerable, and Pride and Prejudice just awful. But now I get to say I don't like it, and can follow up with a ten-minute rant about the "not like all the other girls" mentality. :)

• Like 3

Currently nearing the end of Ranger's Apprentice 5: Sorcerer of the North, and just started Abercrombie's The Blade Itself.

Now that I've consulted the library's archives, I've basically got the next year of books planned out on my phone's note app.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Just finished the Empire Striketh Back, currently into Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance and Band of Brothers

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Just finished the Empire Striketh Back...

My mother was educated in classic literature, so I've always had the newest copy of those Shakespearean Star Wars spinoffs to look forward to each Christmas the last few years.  I hope they get around to the prequels too!

I wanted a break from Ranger's Apprentice because I've been chain-reading those books back to back for a couple of months now.  I had just recently gone through my book collection to purge those which I will never read and found a few I had never taken the time to delve into.  So now I've re-started The Orc King by R.A. Salvatore and I'm loving the Drizzt Do'Urden storyline.  When I finish this and its sequel, I think I'll go back and track down the Icewind Dale trilogy from the library.  Now that is some epic fantasy literature!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I doubt it's on anyone else's book list here, but I've just started Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for the second time.  Good book, but it's HUGE, so it takes me a long damn time to read.  

Also have a pile of self-help books that I pick up at random and read a chapter of.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I doubt it's on anyone else's book list here, but I've just started Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for the second time.  Good book, but it's HUGE, so it takes me a long damn time to read.  

I started it round the end of 2014 but somehow never managed to finish it. This challenge I've included a reading challenge, hopefully I can build habits and momentum with a few books before I attempt another shot at it

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

I haven't read a book in 10 days. What's wrong with me?!

and you are not going into withdrawal? have you checked that you still have a pulse?
  • Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Been a while since I updated here, but I have about 100 pages to finish H.P Lovecraft Omnibus 1: At the Mountains of madness. His stories go through really good to a challenging read, entertaining though!

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

I am currently reading "The Intolerance of Tolerance" by D.A. Carson.  I just started it so I can't offer a review of it yet.

nerdgettingfit - Lvl 0 Human Recruit

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Details

Main Quest: 13% Body Fat

11%
11%

Quest 1:  Strengh Training

22%
22%

Quest 2:  Walk / Jog

12%
12%