Forums are back in action! ×

A librarian joins the rebellion!

Hi everybody! I've been an on and off NF lurker for over a year now and have finally decided to take the plunge. I will be participating in the next upcoming challenge. Super jazzed!

About me:

I'm a 30 year old librarian (teen services! woot!) in British Columbia, Canada. I'm 5'4" and 135 lbs. I have always been more on the thin side because I had a killer metabolism growing up. I enjoyed being outdoors and being active... riding my bike, camping, fishing, playing in the yard with the dog, walking, etc, but I was never sporty and never really dug on sports. Fast forward a few years through a bachelor's degree in English and master's in Library and Info Science, and here I am! I've dabbled with a whole bunch of activities from a walk/run program, yoga, swimming, roller derby, ballroom dancing classes, etc, but haven't really found anything that really spoke to me (well, other than dancing. I LOVED dancing! ... but the class structure was awkward). I'm deathly afraid of gyms and machines and have never set foot in a weight room or whatever those rooms are called with the machine thingies. That, and the idea of gym change rooms terrify me. :)

Anyway, my usual routine of being moderately active and eating everything in moderation always worked for me because of my metabolism. However, the bod's getting older and I've started noticing that a few pounds have been stacking on and are slower to burn away with my usual routine. The reason I'm here is because I want to make regular and mindful exercise a part of my life now while I still have a fairly active metabolism. I want this to be more of a preventative lifestyle change because I'm afraid if I don't start now, one day I'll wake up without my metabolism and look at a very different version of myself than what I am now. I hope that makes sense.

A year ago before we got a puppy, my partner and I were doing NF beginner body weight workout every other day and on off days were going for nice long walks. I loved it--finally something that a) I didn't need to go to a gym for, B) didn't need to PAY for, and c) would scale with my ability! Total score. Plus, I'm super nerdy (hello, librarian! I think I get extra nerdiness points, yo), grew up gaming with my sister (Legend of Zelda on NES, baby. Cried my eyes out when Aeris bites it in FF7 <-- totally a huge moment for me as a teen, lol), played WoW since day 1 of the game (Holy Paladin! Woot!), and recently put WoW on hold for D3! So yeah, Nerd Fitness: you are my people and I <3 you

I plan to participate in the upcoming challenge because it looks like a lot of fun! My rough draft goals:

Health / Fitness:

1. To do the beginner body weight workout every other day like clockwork. CLOCKWORK.

2. To walk my dog, Juno (1.5 year old blue great dane, for all you dog nutters out there!), by myself in the morning before work on the off-days of my body weight workout. Junie gets exercised regularly every day by my husband or both of us for walks or dog park visits... the walking her by myself is in addition to her regular outings and is designed for me to spend some time with her alone to gain confidence in handling all 115+ lbs of her by myself (and get more exercise at the same time)!

3. On the days when I have to stay at work for lunch: To pre-make delicious and interesting lunches for work the night before! I usually will default to a grab-whatever's-in-the-fridge routine that may or may not work out depending on leftovers, what's in there, etc. This doesn't always work out and may or may not keep me gassed up and feeling perky into the afternoon. I recently asked a foodie librarian co-worker of mine for some advice on prepping yummy lunches (hers always look rad) and she hooked me up with a ton of recipes. That's what you get for asking a librarian. So yes, I want to try some of her suggestions! (already made Thai noodle wraps with prawns... yum!)

Life Goal:

1. By the end of the next challenge, to have completed sewing 2 skirts and 1 dress. Over the 6 week period, this gives me roughly 2 weeks per project, which is more than enough time (starting with small goals like Steve says!). I've always wanted to make my own clothes, and for my 30th birthday, my dream came true! I got a sewing machine from my husband and all the sewing tools/notions etc. from my coworkers and family. I have made 2 skirts since then but haven't made anything since. I am nervous about the dress... I am a noob sewer. (I went to the fabric store today and bought 3 different dress patterns! Already have a bunch of fabric.. just need to get the zippers etc, pick out a projects, and start.)

If you managed to make it this far, thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to meeting people and getting started!

August 6th - September 17th:

Isobel's 1st Challenge: "Time To Book It!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is a [wo]man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Thanks for the welcome Illum :)

Update:

- last night I hauled out my sewing patterns and figured out 2 of my three projects. Now just to purchase some zippers, figure out my last project, and get started!

- woke up early this morning and took Juno out for a brisk walk around the neighbourhood, just the two of us. We met another person with a dog and I was kinda nervous she'd drag me across the street but everything worked out. It's amazing how much more awake and happy I was at work today. Got soooo much done!

- didn't manage to make healthy lunch last night but I squeezed it in (with help) this morning before work. Thai salad wraps, grapes, and watermelon = delish and satisfying lunch

- picked raspberries from garden and my husband blitzed me up a killer smoothie for breakies. Yum!

Off to go make lunch for tomorrow so I can body weight work out in the morning with lots of time to spare!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a [wo]man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Sorry, no bonus points for being a librarian. There's too many of us here! ;) But you're in good company, if it's any help. Keep an eye out for the Librarian of Doom, too. :) I'm currently in stay at home mum child-raising mode, so I merely sigh wistfully at wonderful stories of organising libraries. It'll be another year and a half at least until I venture back into the workforce.

I don't do a lot of sewing, but for when the mood strikes, I have a lovely old antique Singer treadle in its original cabinet. :)

Well darn, a gal can hope, can't she? ;) perhaps librarians can have their own guild one day, what with all the bending, lifting, child-chasing, and whatnot! Lol!

What kind of library work do you do when not in mum mode? I'm a teen librarian in a medium size public library and this is my 4th year at it and I'm still in love :)

What's D3? Kingdom Hearts: DDD springs to mind, and I'm crazy about KH.

Sorry, welcome to the Rebellion!

I am going to guess the newest nintendo handheld - 3ds, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway welcome Isobel!

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Welcome, welcome!!! We can always use more librarians around the place! Good for you for making a change now!!!

Teen services is something I'd really l'd love to try someday, but right now I'm a school librarian in a small rural PK-8th grade school. My best friend recently fell into a YA librarian position and she loves it.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you'll fit right in!

I'm deathly afraid of gyms and machines and have never set foot in a weight room or whatever those rooms are called with the machine thingies. That, and the idea of gym change rooms terrify me. :)

That's exactly how I was! Well, I'd be fine to go to a mostly empty gym and ONLY get on the elliptical or bike. But I just signed up again, and started using some light free weights. And I do this totally gross thing where I don't shower and change at the gym... I just wipe off my sweaty self and drive home for a shower. =) Locker rooms = not fun.

I want this to be more of a preventative lifestyle change because I'm afraid if I don't start now, one day I'll wake up without my metabolism and look at a very different version of myself than what I am now. I hope that makes sense.

Yes. Yes it does. And that's an awesome goal.

2. To walk my dog, Juno (1.5 year old blue great dane, for all you dog nutters out there!), by myself in the morning before work on the off-days of my body weight workout. Junie gets exercised regularly every day by my husband or both of us for walks or dog park visits... the walking her by myself is in addition to her regular outings and is designed for me to spend some time with her alone to gain confidence in handling all 115+ lbs of her by myself (and get more exercise at the same time)!

HI JUNO! =D Having a dog-related goal is such a good idea, I didn't even think of that. We just adopted a littpe stray pup a few months ago... best guess is that he's a Golden/Cocker mix. He's 5 months old and has crazy energy. I should really make it a goal to spend a certain amount of time on training/playing/walking every day. Not that we don't do those now (I think he'd eat the house if I didn't constantly hang out with him), but I think I can get a lot more purposeful and consistend in the activities we do. So thanks for the idea! =) Also, June pics, pleeease? (EDIT: Haha, just noticed she's in your avatar. So pretty!)

I've always wanted to make my own clothes, and for my 30th birthday, my dream came true! I got a sewing machine from my husband and all the sewing tools/notions etc. from my coworkers and family.

Ooh, I can't wait to hear about your progress! I've always wanted to learn to sew, but I don't even have a machine yet. So you're a step ahead of me. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

Is there a lunch thread? There totally should be. We should discuss packing lunches because even though I'm very good about cooking healthy delicious food I find that lunches can be a bit of a challenge.

Level 3 - Person who doesn't really understand what stats are.  I know, you've explained it...

Is there a lunch thread? There totally should be. We should discuss packing lunches because even though I'm very good about cooking healthy delicious food I find that lunches can be a bit of a challenge.

+1!!!

If there are no leftovers for lunch, I'm a bit lost. We should make a lunch thread, after searching to see if there is one already

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Wow thanks for the welcomes everybody!!! I haven't been on for the last few days... I seem to remember seeing a FAQ somewhere that said they'd rather see people out doing their goals and activities rather than posting about them. I took that one to heart ;)

Yep, you guessed it... Diablo 3. I don't play it a ton but it's nice to not have to "keep up" like I did in wow. I'm enjoying the storyline.

Librarian of doom!!! School librarian, nice! I can ask you those junior reads stumper questions. I'm killer on the teen reads suggestions but when it comes to the little guys... Not so much! Well, other than my go-to picks anyways ;) but if anyone needs teen book suggestions, I'm your lady!

Time to go figure out how to sign up for the challenge... O_O

Archived