Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

As a huge fan of the original who didn't make it past the first season of Korra (though I am told it improved significantly after so I may try again), this talk of people watching A:tLA only so they can watch Korra makes me very sad :(

I almost didn't make it past the first season of Korra, but just this past week decided to give season 2 a chance.  It's *so much better*. I feel like season 1 didn't have the same vibe as the Last Airbender at all.  It strayed too far from the original.

But in this season they get back to the epic battles for good and evil, and the characters get more complex and interesting, and there's a lot more of the grand discovery of self and Avatar-things that made the first series so interesting.

• Like 1

Follow: Instragram  ||  Soundcloud  ||  Pinterest

As a huge fan of the original who didn't make it past the first season of Korra (though I am told it improved significantly after so I may try again), this talk of people watching A:tLA only so they can watch Korra makes me very sad :(

For me, it was an issue of I had known too many people who were ragingly huge fans of the original, that had fangirled (and boyed) so hard at me, that it had left a bad taste in my mouth for ATLA. When I heard about the ending of Korra the whole grouping of series caught my attention again, and I decided that I'd go ahead and give the entire world a go now that I didn't have people shoving it down my throat so hard.

While I initially only watched ATLA to get the back story, and world setting information for Korra, I fell in love with the characters along the way. Especially, Sokka, Katara, Suki, and Toph. This wasn't the first time I had ever encountered the series, but it's the first time I was really able to sit down, and explore it at my own pace, and earn my own appreciation for it.

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current

I liked how you get to know what happened to Aang and the gang after the original. And the relationship between Korra and Katara made me cry. Korra annoyed me for a bit, but she does get more like-able.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I almost didn't make it past the first season of Korra, but just this past week decided to give season 2 a chance.  It's *so much better*. I feel like season 1 didn't have the same vibe as the Last Airbender at all.  It strayed too far from the original.

But in this season they get back to the epic battles for good and evil, and the characters get more complex and interesting, and there's a lot more of the grand discovery of self and Avatar-things that made the first series so interesting.

Oh man, I *loved* ATLA. Have been dithering about starting with Korra, but this review and the others I've seen are good news!

I know I can't be the only one who totally geeked out about what my element would be. Earthbender here, for sure. Anybody else?

• Like 3

My username is from Alice, and the queen who has believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. What the hell--let's make it seven.

I use female pronouns and masculine honorifics. So: she/hers and sir/mr. I am an (aspirationally) old-school butch, as in Stone Butch Blues (rest in power Leslie Feinberg).

I'm from Kentucky, bounced around a lot, currently living in Minneapolis.

I'm really glad to be here. :pirate:

Oh man, I *loved* ATLA. Have been dithering about starting with Korra, but this review and the others I've seen are good news!

I know I can't be the only one who totally geeked out about what my element would be. Earthbender here, for sure. Anybody else?

hi :)

I'm a Waterbender

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

For me, it was an issue of I had known too many people who were ragingly huge fans of the original, that had fangirled (and boyed) so hard at me, that it had left a bad taste in my mouth for ATLA. When I heard about the ending of Korra the whole grouping of series caught my attention again, and I decided that I'd go ahead and give the entire world a go now that I didn't have people shoving it down my throat so hard.

While I initially only watched ATLA to get the back story, and world setting information for Korra, I fell in love with the characters along the way. Especially, Sokka, Katara, Suki, and Toph. This wasn't the first time I had ever encountered the series, but it's the first time I was really able to sit down, and explore it at my own pace, and earn my own appreciation for it.

Ouch, yeah - I hate it when that happens to me for a movie or series!  I was lucky - my friends that were really into A:tLA were good about not hyping it.  I'm glad you got to enjoy it at least, despite that!

Maaan, that's difficult.  I have a bit of Waterbender in me, but I'm really going to have to go with Airbender.  Terminally non-confrontational ftw!

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I would love to be a firebender (or metalbender...Lin made me love metalbending), but if quizzes are right, I'm more of an airbender.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Season one was weird, I agree, but I kind of liked it on the grounds that I felt like it was a natural "growing up" of the series. I kinda felt like I matured along with them :)

I'm the avatar, does that mean I don't have to choose? ;) By nature, either an Earthbender or a Waterbender. Definitely definitely not an Airbender. 

• Like 3

Level 1 Human Avatar

STR 2 || CON 2 || DEX 1 || WIS 2 || STA 0 || CHA 1

Current Challenge

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you." - Ovid

Asami is the kind of girl I need in my life. She's just that bad ass. And her hair is amazing.

I'm excited to get to see/know this character since she's gained such ridiculous praise from everyone I know who has passingly mentioned her.

I liked how you get to know what happened to Aang and the gang after the original. And the relationship between Korra and Katara made me cry. Korra annoyed me for a bit, but she does get more like-able.

I just started the first ep of Korra last night, and I'm really enjoying that so far! I was super pleased to see how the world had grown and changed after the gang had impacted it so significantly.

Uhhh, this one's hard. I never thought about it. Probably earth as I tend to be pretty strong, and tough, and stubborn/immovable when I get stuck on something. Though I do tend to be very go with the flow, and laid back which are standard water traits when associating water with personality traits... so... IDK.  Most def not fire through. They came off as very stern and honor/duty bound which I'm not quite that far.

Ouch, yeah - I hate it when that happens to me for a movie or series!  I was lucky - my friends that were really into A:tLA were good about not hyping it.  I'm glad you got to enjoy it at least, despite that!

Maaan, that's difficult.  I have a bit of Waterbender in me, but I'm really going to have to go with Airbender.  Terminally non-confrontational ftw!

Yeah, it was really unfortunate. I'm really glad your friends didn't though! It's always really nice when people can encourage something, but be respectful, and not obsessively shove it at you.

Which Hogwarts House would you be in? Who's your favourite Ninja turtle? I saw this thing one time that had a bunch of characters from different things in a four-column chart ... Hmm! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_temperaments

Fav TMNT: Leo or Donnie. Hands down.  

That's an interesting read! I started skimming over it, and am going to need to sit down and read it more in depth on a break or something.

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current

Same thing here. The first season was a bit painful to get through, but now I'm half way through the second and enjoying it so much more. The characters actually got a bit more dynamic and are getting some development to them. I think that was the idea the entire time, they just kept Korra way too one dimensional for most of season 1, taking awhile to get around to it.

I miss Toph so much. She was my absolute favorite from ATLA.

Total Earthbender here as well. Calm, stoic, and stubborn.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Oh wow, I'm happy this thread exists, but I am not going and reading through 125 back pages! :-P 

• Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

A New Beginning C1:  A Rough Start, b=But Still a Start

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 15 | DEX: 8 | STA: 12 | CON: 11 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 12

Oh wow, I'm happy this thread exists, but I am not going and reading through 125 back pages! :-P 

Wow I didn't realize we got that far in page numbers.

• Like 1

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

I definitely read all 125 of those pages; I really don't have this kind of community in real life, and seeing it was kind of addictive :D (though oh gosh did I skim anything political or argumentative... I was super not in the mood to be angry) 

• Like 2

Level 1 Human Avatar

STR 2 || CON 2 || DEX 1 || WIS 2 || STA 0 || CHA 1

Current Challenge

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you." - Ovid

I definitely read all 125 of those pages; I really don't have this kind of community in real life, and seeing it was kind of addictive :D (though oh gosh did I skim anything political or argumentative... I was super not in the mood to be angry) 

Yeah that time with the argument was not the greatest time on this forum.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Hey everyone, as most of you know it's been about three months since Leelah Alcorn passed away. I have found petitions for 'Leelah's Law' to ban trans* conversion therapy and I want to ask you to look at these websites and, if you agree with their petitions, to add your support.

I know that this is probably old news to most of you, I just want to make sure that it makes it to anyone that didn't know and wants to help. 

-Petition on change.com

-Petition on whitehouse.gov

-Leelah's Law website

-Leelah's Law facebook page

• Like 1

When in doubt, use women as an excuse to be dicks to trans because those evil trans are so going to hurt those women. *sigh* Canada, I'm so ashamed of you. I thought you were better than that.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Canada gets you like that. I'm always *almost* proud to be Canadian. Let's vote out the Conservatives this year.

I know, right? The other day, after 12 or so years of being together, and almost 5 years of marriage my husband dropped a bomb. He said he was politically conservative. I had to leave the table, I'm not even kidding. He is just such an open, and very forward thinking person, I don't get what he's saying. I think maybe he feels he falls in with the Conservative party because of their fiscal policies, and perhaps criminal policies (he works in law), but man I really don't know how to begin to talk about this. It's freaking me the fuck out. : /

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk