Forums are back in action! ×

Completely lost: Challenges, Stats, Etc.

DaygloNirvana

Ok. I've combed this site from top to bottom and can't seem to find a place where I can figure out what I'm doing.

I understand, from an rpg perspective, what stats, races, classes, etc. are. I've played enough tabletop games to grok that. I just don't understand how it relates to goals here on NF, or how they're set or tracked?

The only posts where I've seen someone ask about the same thing, people tend to post a link that leads back to the main forum, which isn't really helping me much. I don't want to sound like a complete idiot on this site, but I also don't want to feel like I need some kind of hand-holding to figure out what I need to do. I like this site, and the people on it, but I'm confused and lost. Help a nerd out!

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

I'm sure it will be back up before the next challenge starts... but I'll give you a basic over view:

You get 15 starter points. IIRC, you can allocate them however you please amongst the attributes. The attributes we use are: Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, Stamina, Constitution and Wisdom. For more detail on their meanings as we apply them I'm afraid you'll have to wait for that link to work again. (yes, this part is very subjective)

Otherwise, each challenge you set goals and attribute possible points earned for those goals. You can earn 15 points each challenge. I believe you can earn up to 5 points per goal or 5 points per category per goal? I'm a bit fuzzy on that part, honestly.

At the end of your challenge you'll use a grading system to figure out how many of your points you earned. The challenge after that you'll start with your new points total.

This is all subject to change so make sure you keep looking for the announcement and anything from Moderators about it.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

It's 5 points per goal as a maximum, I think.

For professions, go here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/05/10/real-life-role-playing-what-is-your-profession/

Basically races are anything, and classes are what you're most interested in doing (fitness-wise). You can change class whenever you'd want to.

But yes, hopefully the links will be up and running again. The site recently switched host, which is why there have been some issues with old links redirecting to the main site.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Try this link? http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10716-6-Week-Challenge-April-30th-to-June-11th

So far today that one seems to still be working, and it has most of the basic info explained in detail...it is for an older challenge, so some minor things might be different, but this is the link I followed when I first signed up and it seems like most things in it are still the same.

Also, you don't sound like a complete idiot, or even a partial one. :) Keep on asking questions, people here are super nice and will try to help you out as much as possible! :)

Edit: so you don't feel like an idiot....I'm not ashamed to say that when I found the link above today thanks to someone else posting it, I immediately printed off the whole thread for future reference, in case that link disappears too. I guarantee you're not the only one looking for helpful info on the challenges. I know I can always use a refresher. :)

Oh wow - thanks for the links! These are very helpful!

And yes, I've had other fitness sites treat me like an idiot for asking basic level questions. They also professed to be friendly and supportive to. Hah.

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

The great thing about NF is that you will find many of us are/were gamers of some sort, and as such are pretty much the nicest group of people towards new people (noobs or w/e) than just about any where else you might look on the interwebz. Ask away. The only silly/stupid/dumb question is the one that you don't ask.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I like the new format. Very clean.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Yup, NF is the best :) Seriously, feel free to ask us anything. Here, in pm, or visit the chat sometime.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Archived